- Joined
- Jul 9, 2009
- Messages
- 427
I'm getting either a Phenom II X3 710or 720. I want the 720 'cause it's a BE at 2.8 GHZ and the 710 is at 2.6.
I'm 15$ short of the BE, and my only hope to get the BE is if they have a decent sale during Thanksgiving. I don't want to wait that long
/cry
Choices like this make me over think:
I can wait a whole freaking 30 days and "hope" there's a deal on processors and get the BE and either A: Run ti at stock, or B: Increase multiplier by 1 for 3GHZ.(I like whole numbers).
Or I can get the 710, and increase the Bus Speed by 16 for 2.8GHZ so it's like the speed of a BE, I am terrified of going above 200MHZ. Absolutely terrified.
I have no idea if increasing the bus speed is safer than increasing the multiplier, but to me increasing something by 1 is less of a hassle than by 16.
So which is safer? I really hate waiting for things
Especially when I'm not sure there will be a deal on the processor I want
I have a single core Sempron 140 right now.
Other questions:
When I built this PC, I put the CPU in wrong like 4 times, I didn't get why it wasn't booting. I swear I aligned the triangles, then I took an even closer look and realized I confused the triangle edges of the CPU socket with the indented triangle I was supposed to align it to :X anyways, during those failures every time I removed the Heat-sink to put the CPU in again, the CPU came along WITH the Heat-sink, pulled out of the socket. I doubt that's the way it's supposed to be =\. How do I take it out the Heat-sink without it pulling the CPU with it?
Thanks for the help :O I mainly just want the 2.8 'cause that's what Dragon Age recommends. Also, will it degrade the life of the CPU substantially by oc'ing it by 200, whether by bus or multiplier? And will I need to change the voltage, because I SWEAR under no circumstances will I mess with the voltage. I'd rather have 2.6 than risk something. I have REALLY bad luck.
I'm 15$ short of the BE, and my only hope to get the BE is if they have a decent sale during Thanksgiving. I don't want to wait that long
/cryChoices like this make me over think:
I can wait a whole freaking 30 days and "hope" there's a deal on processors and get the BE and either A: Run ti at stock, or B: Increase multiplier by 1 for 3GHZ.(I like whole numbers).
Or I can get the 710, and increase the Bus Speed by 16 for 2.8GHZ so it's like the speed of a BE, I am terrified of going above 200MHZ. Absolutely terrified.
I have no idea if increasing the bus speed is safer than increasing the multiplier, but to me increasing something by 1 is less of a hassle than by 16.
So which is safer? I really hate waiting for things
Especially when I'm not sure there will be a deal on the processor I want
I have a single core Sempron 140 right now.Other questions:
When I built this PC, I put the CPU in wrong like 4 times, I didn't get why it wasn't booting. I swear I aligned the triangles, then I took an even closer look and realized I confused the triangle edges of the CPU socket with the indented triangle I was supposed to align it to :X anyways, during those failures every time I removed the Heat-sink to put the CPU in again, the CPU came along WITH the Heat-sink, pulled out of the socket. I doubt that's the way it's supposed to be =\. How do I take it out the Heat-sink without it pulling the CPU with it?
Thanks for the help :O I mainly just want the 2.8 'cause that's what Dragon Age recommends. Also, will it degrade the life of the CPU substantially by oc'ing it by 200, whether by bus or multiplier? And will I need to change the voltage, because I SWEAR under no circumstances will I mess with the voltage. I'd rather have 2.6 than risk something. I have REALLY bad luck.













Overclocking helps more for getting rid of a bottleneck with your GPU. Hopefully the 5870x2/5850x2 won't bottleneck with my Q6600 when i get it but i highly believe it will bottleneck in some games.


.