This point/stat thread is unique! Trust me!

homosapien15

Poster
Joined
May 18, 2009
Messages
125
Hey all, I'm sure many of you know me in game as homosapien15 or Jellybeans!, and many may remember when I was wearing my e tag. Though I don't consider myself an e member anymore, I'm still always on eGO servers because really there are none better.

Points systems exist on many servers, and many people whine about Hlxstats constantly. Lately, in one of my rage quits, I started to think up a new way to calculate points with my friend. One that will take into account your health when you are killed (since it's easier for a newbie to kill you at say, 30 health), sets new standards for weapons multipliers, rifle nades esp are worth less since it's easy to lob a nade anywhere, and mgs are the same. Anyway, I'm wondering if, say the system is superb, can it be implemented? Coding it shouldn't be hard, it's just an algorithm with distinct variables, but if we can't get away from hlxstats I'll probably drop the subject.

Anyhow, opinions and advice are welcome. For once I want to hear whining about points being unfair, because in all honesty, play time leads to increased points, and being punished for that isn't right. Even at 4000 points people take 20-25, and I can only imagine what it's like after that. Points and stats should be rough guides for how well you play, so losses based on point differences should mean less.
 
Points don't matter really. Its all about enjoying the game and how you play it.
 
Points DO matter for a lot of people. It's how they judge their play compared to others, why not try to improve the system that would have you kill 5 new people at 2 pts a head, and be killed by one who takes 25? At the end of the day, I just enjoy DoD, but the system doesn't make any sense.
 
Points don't matter really. Its all about enjoying the game and how you play it.


Indeed this is correct. Stats are there more for how you are compared to others NOT as a braging right. The games are fun and the stats are fun - thats that.

In my head of course.
 
hlxstats is an admin tool?!

It doesn't bug me if points won't change here in eGO, but I don't think anyone an deny that the system is unbalanced at best. There's only one reason I play on the servers anymore, and it's because they're never empty.
 
hlxstats is an admin tool?!

It doesn't bug me if points won't change here in eGO, but I don't think anyone an deny that the system is unbalanced at best. There's only one reason I play on the servers anymore, and it's because they're never empty.

The system is balanced insofar as everyone is subjected to the limitations and calculations OF the system. Some people are just better at taking advantage of the system. It may be broken and inaccurate but this system is not unfair. If you fixed the system with any of your proposed changes you wouldn't gain rank, you'd just have more points because everyone around you would gain rank also... do you think the top 10 players never lose 25 points after gaining 10 points from killing 5 people? It happens to everyone.

Oh, and increased playtime does not lead to more points. That's a fallacy. Points are not a great measure of how you compare to other players. Using stats comes very close to making determinations about who is better than who, it's just that the stats don't translate into points as optimally as they should.
 
he did wear the tag many sun sets ago... what is the point of this thread???? jesus.. if you dont like it or are dissapointed in any way please feel free to never play in eGO servers again. like JohnT once said "we get over 750,000 unique steam id's a month" one gone will not harm us. something in that line.. I cant remember what he said exactly

if you are loosing alot of pt. maybe you need more practice.
 
I don't think people understood this thread, not that it matters after duality's post. I'm not losing points at all, but I sat down and devised a new point calculation method I thought worked better to reflect skill and well, there's no room for updating here.

Kirk did say this, but yes, I don't wear my tags anymore. Haven't since the stats started over on the servers, or whatever that was.

Furthermore, just because whether or not eGO makes changes like this or not, doesn't mean I suddenly hate everything about it, everyone seems to find me hostile. The truth is though, at this point, any server is just a server. I could walk over to the 5th, 6th, to T-E, etc and say the same thing. I just thought I had something cool to potentially improve an already full set of servers after hearing complaints.
 
You have to remember, stats was reset recently. I remember when he did wear it.

lol I remember, just according to his stats he's never worn the tag so it's been at least 3 months

I don't think people understood this thread, not that it matters after duality's post. I'm not losing points at all, but I sat down and devised a new point calculation method I thought worked better to reflect skill and well, there's no room for updating here.

I don't think many of us here would be able (or willing) to design a stat system to your specs. If you think it's a good enough idea, hit up the HLStatsX community website and see what they say about it. We just don't have the resources to make something like that happen
 
I was designing my own was the point. I have a basic algorithm mapped out and everything, I just didn't know hlxstats wasn't customizable. Really, it's not that hard, simple coding with clear definition of variables is all you need, the hardest part I suppose is data gathering
 
but just remember one thing, most players don't play on our servers for points, we want all players to be calculated the same and give players with less of a score a chance to shoot up for taking out big dogs, if i understood your thoughts correctly, you'll notice quickly that the lower skill players will be left behind in the dust. While i do agree you had a good idea, the goal of our servers is for fun, not points, so thank you for the excellent idea, but i highly doubt we will be using anytime soon.

Again, Excellent Idea

Matt With A Cat
 
I was designing my own was the point. I have a basic algorithm mapped out and everything, I just didn't know hlxstats wasn't customizable. Really, it's not that hard, simple coding with clear definition of variables is all you need, the hardest part I suppose is data gathering

well... let's be honest. You could do it two ways. Design it from scratch: You need a pretty firm grasp of at least two programming languages (PERL and maybe python, C, C++, whichever) for the IO of your system. You'll have to design a pretty snazzy algorithm to parse the event logs that the server generates, query the actual gameserver for data not listed in logs (which would be player health, and um, did you say where the player was? HLX does that, okay) it's doable, thread it for speed, design some also pretty snazzy SQL statements to feed it into a db, design the web interface, and write the PHP SQL commands to retrieve it data, formatted and error-proof. It's not a monster of a project but it's probably not "very simple" either. Would you mind sharing your basic algorithm? I really think your project would benefit from being open source.

The second option is to use HLstatsX's data and simply reorganize the ranks. The problem is I don't think there's an API for it and you're definitely not getting a peek at their Premium code.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top