Find a game.

  • Thread starter Thread starter GreenMonkey
  • Start date Start date
G

GreenMonkey

So, as I was minding my own business, doing college work and watching TV, all of a sudden a commercial for Ace Combat 6 comes on.

All of a sudden I remember - holy crap, I havnt played a good fighter plane game since "chuck yeagers air combat" (DOS - yeah I said DOS...... Disk Operating System, I dont have any windows old school classic DOS - you know, the thing I ran on my IBM Tandy1000).

So anyways, I remember that I LOVE(d) the thought of dogfighting with a joystick but only to find out that Ace Combat 6 is ONLY for the 360.

Upon further discoveries, nobody makes this style of game - not recently. So please help me, is there a game out there for me? I have tried one of the JANE games - not impressed, I tried some flight sims, fighter sims, and one really bad (although new) flying game ported to PC and hated it because everything was too automatic (as if i was supposed ot use a controller pad o_O).

The game cant be a sim with a high learning curve - but has to be less automated than Zero Wing (although zero wing is fricken sweet - All us base). I also want something with great graphics.

Basically, I want to be able to manually adjust enough things to rationalize getting a nice joystick. I want to manage landing gear, flaps, rutter, and engin speed etc, but I want to kill enemy planes not be concearned about my air telemitry being off by 1%.

Maybe it is pretty specific, but is it really impossible? No sims, no arcade style, just a nice old fashion air plane shooting game that can be quick to start but hours or more to master. My roomate has the 360 Demo for Ace Combat 6 - why no PC? WHY!?.

Please help ~ Monkey
 
Hey Green Monkey,
I love to fly virtually sometimes too (and nooo.. I'm NOT talking about drugs.. lol ).
In the old days of dos I played Aces over Europe and Aces of the Pacific day in day out :D

I don't know if there is a game that's basically between sim and arcade.. but I think you will achieve what you are searching for by using a sim and adjusting the realism settings to fit in your style.
Any arcade game will likely be not what you want.. so I would go for a sim.
And then there is only one you should choose (if looking for WWII dogfighting - which is way more fun than firing rockets at some miles away dots in the sky IMO):

IL-2 Sturmovik

There are allready some expansions out for that game and the original IL-2 is not really new.. but its technically up to date and looks quite fine.
I think there is a "gold package" or sth like that available where you can get the game + all expansion for a reasonable price..

Hope that helps you a bit :)
If you are looking for something in modern warfare setting I can't really give you a tip for that as I was never really into that..

Greets,
Dr3amSl33p
 
I was original gonna suggest IL-2 Sturmovik but for some reason i thought you were looking for a Jet fighter game. Anyway the one Dreamsleep mention is the best and with the awesome expansion backs and mod community you cant go wrong at all.
 
yeah I am pretty much looking for a jet fighter game with migs and f4e phantoms. ..... Sigh..... I miss Chuck yeagers air combat.

Again, I dont really want sim, i just want closer to sim than your standard xbox to pc port where your controls consist of up down and left right. Poo on that, I want to do SOME other stuff but again, be able to focus on killing and maneuvers not on "staying in the air"... al though CY Air Combat did have stalling, black ouy and red out.

I want to get some friends or roomates together and use my headset and have a nice joystick and "get into the action". It appeals to my boyhood fascination with airplanes and jets. Despite how slightly awfull they did at first in combat, I <3 F4E Phantoms.

P.S. Look at the date the game was made. These were STATE OF THE ART graphics and sound: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Yeager's_Air_Combat

You have no idea how much that webpage makes me crave a flying game even more.

Are there no really awsome fightor pilot games for the PC with modernISH planes (or of all ages) recently? I mean thats just tons of money waiting to be raked in by the first company to take advantage of thit.
 
I'm sorry I dont knwo how that double post happened. I think I hit the back button. Um, Cant waste a post so better make it usefull: One time I downloaded this russina game, it was supposedly the best fighter sim ever. Only problem was it was so accurate it was more of a training sim than a game - and even those who love it say that it had the craziest learning curve they have ever seen - and they were pioots..... But I tried it anyways, it looked good but i couldnt fly lol.

Too hard. I want somehting that is "possible" but also somewhat involved but easy once your learn it. Nothing I constantly have to worry about weather I can turn this fast or whateevr. But, obviousely things like - your wings ripping off in a nose dive is ok, thats just common knowledge physics.

I have been look at some games I remember trying to play - and even those which I kind of liked. I guess they are consittered sims. Weather it be flgiht sims or combat sims. I have been also looking at the Ace games more and I just really wish they would make a pc version.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top