tcpip.sys is Corrupt

Anders

Active Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
360
Hey guys, when I try to update for Windows Vista Basic, I have to restart so the updates can finish. However, when it does restart, it goes to Startup Repair, after it's done trying to Repair, it tells me that tcpip.sys is corrupt, and cannot be fixed automatically. Since this happens, I can't update any Security Updates, and I can't update to Service Pack 2, I'm not sure why it never told me to update to it before.

I scanned the tcpip.sys file with AVG and nothing came up.

Help me guys!
 
when starting up the computer you can press F8 to bring up the boot options screen and maybe try selecting Last Known Good Configuration, or use System Restore to revert your drive back to an earlier date if you can get into Windows. You can also try booting into Safe Mode from that same screen and scanning for filesystem errors.

Pulled this off another forum somewhere

1.login to safe mode
2.try to run "sfc/scanow" under cmd.exe

Safe mode has a boot to command prompt only option. Can boot to that and run
sfc/scannow? System restore can also be run in this mode by entering
rstrui.exe at the command prompt. This can work when SR fails in other
modes.
 
I did did that, including the thing you pulled off another forum, got it from the same forum.
 
boot from the vista install CD and select the Repair option then, and if that doesn't work, you can reinstall windows over your existing filesystem, just dont check the option to format the drive. other than that i dunno...
 
I found something, when It gave me the option to Install Service Pack 2, it may have upgraded the tcpip.sys to cope with SP2. There are only 2 or 3 updates that make my computer screw up, those updates may have been downloaded when I had Service Pack 1. However It says I still have SP1. I guess I'll have to re-intsall Vista. I am getting a laptop and I'm thinking of giving this computer to my cousin because he has a few games that he wants to play.
 
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt in CMD wil lreset all your tcpip settings

netsh winsock reset might be worth a try as well.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top