Major Update to Gaming Rig

Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
1,238
Well, I just did a complete reinstall of Windows and am still getting ~10 fps on DoD:S. So, I guess that means it is time to upgrade some hardware. Here's what I need:

1) New motherboard/processor
2) New videocard

Cost at around $1,000.

I <3 Newegg.

Ideas?
 
dont pay that much just for a P55 and i7 860.........

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202&cm_re=i7_920-_-19-115-202-_-Product
-i7 920 ($288) its only $230 at microcenter if you have an in-store near you

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3131359&cm_re=asus_P6t-_-13-131-359-_-Product
-Asus P6T does CFX/SLI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227501
-OCZ 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 (Im guessing you need ram also because the new mobos'CPU need DDR3)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121345&cm_re=5870-_-14-121-345-_-Product
-5870 If you can manage to put it in your budget

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103085&cm_re=5850-_-14-103-085-_-Product
-5850 fits into your budget
 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131386
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121361
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145222
And you will probably need a new Power supply too
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341019
3 way sli is not needed for playing games like DOD.
Final price is $1044 before rebates, $974 after.

EDIT: I messed up, I forgot I7's are triple channel. Fixed now
 
Last edited:
This is one of the baddest single card setups you can get currently. I don't care what numbers say about the i7 processors... The AMD rigs are SMOOTHER and more refined for gaming, and I have the videos to prove it. Get yourself a Dragon platform system, and you will be grinning ear to ear.


AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (125watt) $195
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 AMD 790FX: $185
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128415

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3 12800 (DDR3 1600): $94
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Radeon HD 5870 1GB (fastest single chip video card currently available): $410
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150443


Grand Total: $884 (before shipping)

Enjoy the $120 you just saved, and you will definitely enjoy the 200+ FPS you will be getting from this rig. :)




EDIT: Wow, everyone is recommending rigs with i7 920's and 6GB triple channel memory. You do all realize that the AMD platform is far cheaper and plays games just as good right? If you're dead set on recommending an intel rig, recommend a system based on the i5 750. It will be considerably cheaper, so he will be able to afford a much better video card too. :)
 
Last edited:
This is one of the baddest single card setups you can get currently. I don't care what numbers say about the i7 processors... The AMD rigs are SMOOTHER and more refined for gaming, and I have the videos to prove it. Get yourself a Dragon platform system, and you will be grinning ear to ear.


AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (125watt) $195
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 AMD 790FX: $185
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128415

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3 12800 (DDR3 1600): $94
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Radeon HD 5870 1GB (fastest single chip video card currently available): $410
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150443


Grand Total: $884 (before shipping)

Enjoy the $120 you just saved, and you will definitely enjoy the 200+ FPS you will be getting from this rig. :)




EDIT: Wow, everyone is recommending rigs with i7 920's and 6GB triple channel memory. You do all realize that the AMD platform is far cheaper and plays games just as good right? If you're dead set on recommending an intel rig, recommend a system based on the i5 750. It will be considerably cheaper, so he will be able to afford a much better video card too. :)

true that
 
This is one of the baddest single card setups you can get currently. I don't care what numbers say about the i7 processors... The AMD rigs are SMOOTHER and more refined for gaming, and I have the videos to prove it. Get yourself a Dragon platform system, and you will be grinning ear to ear.


AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (125watt) $195
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 AMD 790FX: $185
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128415

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3 12800 (DDR3 1600): $94
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Radeon HD 5870 1GB (fastest single chip video card currently available): $410
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150443


Grand Total: $884 (before shipping)

Enjoy the $120 you just saved, and you will definitely enjoy the 200+ FPS you will be getting from this rig. :)




EDIT: Wow, everyone is recommending rigs with i7 920's and 6GB triple channel memory. You do all realize that the AMD platform is far cheaper and plays games just as good right? If you're dead set on recommending an intel rig, recommend a system based on the i5 750. It will be considerably cheaper, so he will be able to afford a much better video card too. :)

i agree with this, seriously its far cheaper.
hell you can even go a little cheaper and get a 955 (exact same as 965, just a little slower in hz but you can overclock it) and a cheaper mobo by a little bit. just make sure its ddr3 and has a 790 chipset with 750 southbridge, its all that matters (for the awesome overclocking settings). and ya if you can afford the 5870 you should probably get it because its gotta be epic, but 5850 is a great card too if you want to save 100-110 bucks.
will also allow you more money to get things like a PSU if you really do need a new one etc
 
I'll be taking a look at all this info very soon. Thanks for the ideas!

In other news, I'm glad I posted this because my mobo just failed on me. :/
 
I wouldn't quite recommend the 5870 right now, its still new and new means bugs... plus price will probably drop ALOT in a while.
 
I wouldn't quite recommend the 5870 right now, its still new and new means bugs... plus price will probably drop ALOT in a while.

thing is, its still the most powerful single processor gpu on the market even with those bugs and lack of driver support. once those get ironed out and more/better driver updates it will further improve
 
I wouldn't quite recommend the 5870 right now, its still new and new means bugs... plus price will probably drop ALOT in a while.

yea honestly......theres no like brand new card that comes out without a few kinks and errors, as junk said, even with these bugs, its still the fastest single GPU in the world and can compete to last gens dual-gpu cards

but yes obviously if he can wait, it would be better because within 2-4 months, the price will start dropping
 
You can always wait for new technology to come out, and there's always going to be something faster just over the horizon. I got the 5870 because my rig needed an update, and it was the fastest solution that I could afford.

"Fermi" from Nvidia is supposed to be faster, but I didn't want to wait on a product that was promised last year and never delivered.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top