Because Dragonhill needed proof...

Yeah, it's just my opinion.

I played on it for a little bit before the HLStatsX got changed (like, maybe three hours tops) and I didn't like it.

I like the aesthetic design and I like that vents needed to be broken to be entered, but I did not like its overall gameplay flow.
 
don't play blackmesa. it is horrible.

now if i can get 30 or 40 more people to stop playing it, i won't have to wait 15 minutes to get in everynight. i've been reduced to getting on convoy while i wait, convoy for cripes sake ;)
 
I'm going to step in here and ask everyone to keep this discussion civil and intelligent - comments to the effect of 'blackmesa is a bad map' are both untrue and derogatory. No one here is going to force you to like or play the map, but show some respect and bring constructive criticism.
 
I wonder how possible it would be pull this off on a fairly open map, like Dustbowl. Maybe still do-able because even the open parts are within 'nade-launcher range. Still I think the preponderance of mini-gun and shotty spam might cut down on the targe & lop mayhem. I find the targe works best when used in areas that limit lateral movement. If you can't dodge then prepare for the hurt. Except for the ability to targe while carrying the intel I don't think the demo is overpowered. I think it was a powerful class to begin with and the update just made it popular. Remember the heavy update? You get 3-4 players spamming Natascha and it was painful to be a scout. Give it another month for the newness to wear off and the number of demos will return to baseline, then I don't think you'll hear the hue & cry of "DEMO is OP!" like you do today.

Oh yeah, if you're looking for a bad/unbalanced map, poke around some of the third party stuff that's out there. Good lord there's some serious dung available for download. Certain maps may favor certain classes and/or playstyles, but there isn't a truly unbalanced map on our servers.

blackmesa is a bad map
QFT
/me runs
 
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX3sEGtG8mQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl-beMYQ-K0[/ame]
 
I wonder how possible it would be pull this off on a fairly open map, like Dustbowl. Maybe still do-able because even the open parts are within 'nade-launcher range. Still I think the preponderance of mini-gun and shotty spam might cut down on the targe & lop mayhem. I find the targe works best when used in areas that limit lateral movement. If you can't dodge then prepare for the hurt. Except for the ability to targe while carrying the intel I don't think the demo is overpowered. I think it was a powerful class to begin with and the update just made it popular. Remember the heavy update? You get 3-4 players spamming Natascha and it was painful to be a scout. Give it another month for the newness to wear off and the number of demos will return to baseline, then I don't think you'll hear the hue & cry of "DEMO is OP!" like you do today.

Oh yeah, if you're looking for a bad/unbalanced map, poke around some of the third party stuff that's out there. Good lord there's some serious dung available for download. Certain maps may favor certain classes and/or playstyles, but there isn't a truly unbalanced map on our servers.

QFT
/me runs

To be honest, the vaaaast majority of my kills when I play Targe/Sword demo is with Grenade Launcher. It's just not very practical to depend on your sword to win at all time, especially considering there's better melee out there if you don't hit with the initial crit-sword slice.

I get maybe an average of 2 heads a life, including that time I was playing on the picture. 8-1 KDR, so about 6 kills with the GL in each life.
 
To be honest, the vaaaast majority of my kills when I play Targe/Sword demo is with Grenade Launcher. It's just not very practical to depend on your sword to win at all time, especially considering there's better melee out there if you don't hit with the initial crit-sword slice.

I get maybe an average of 2 heads a life, including that time I was playing on the picture. 8-1 KDR, so about 6 kills with the GL in each life.



that has been my experience with the targe/sword as well. i get tons more kills with the pipe bombs in the vents. i just want my four heads so i can be as fast as a scout!
 
An ideally balanced map plays equally for all classes regardless of location.

no that sound like a really boring map and is impossible.

a good map has lots of areas and locations that people can take advantage of for there class or playstyle.

even in non class based games like quake it is still very beneficial to know the map well and what you can take advantage of to get the upper hand.
 
if you see a heavy and medic in the vents in mesa do not run toward them firing away. you will die. try to flank them. the vents have multiple entrances. see if you can sneak behind them. take out the medic, heavy will go down soon afterward.

i remember several months ago saltychipmunk was vent camping with a medic. i went sniper and setup in the vent for 12 minutes waiting for him to pop around a corner to get a headshot. sure, some might say that was 12 wasted minutes but for me it felt good getting a kill on him. i'm sure he got a few hundred kills in the meantime but tf2 is not about kdr for me.

it was the same way with ironhorse(rip). i had a ball trying to pick him off as a spy or as a sandman scout when he was on his perch blasting away with his stickies. i'd run the long way around the map to get to just the right spot where i could hit him with the sandman then run up and blast him off his perch with the fan. it was a hoot for me.

if it's fun i'll keep doing it. when it stops being fun, i'll move on. no two people's idea of what "fun" is will be the same. i think the biggest draw of blackmesa is that there is a little bit of something there for everyone, mostly.

i'm not a fan of wide open maps because it doesn't suit my playstyle.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top