Old PC Gamer TF2 Article (2000)

Looking at these pictures and even comments by Valve and comparing them to the game I have now played for 800 hours - amuses me to no end.
 
Haha, the shout out to Frisky at the beginning of the article. ;)
I don't know if I'd be playing this game if it looked like that. One of those characters with the Targe and Eyelander don't look appealing to me.
 
if i want combat of this type i'd stick with ea's battlefield series. bad company 2 looks awesome imo.

i wonder what happened to make the game take a 180 from this original concept?
 
Hmm... I'd actually like to play this version if it ever came out.

Fortress Forever is a Half-Life 2 mod that is an idea of what TF2 would be if it wasn't a cartoon. You can play that if you want to kind of get a feel of what TF2 would be.
 
well of course it looks like 1.6, the source engine wasn't finished until 2003, with counter-strike source being released on 2004, this was using the original engine Valve had
 
it was from well before counter-strike.

the concept for that version of TF2 is older than TFC.

Team Fortress Started out as a quake mod and valve hired the developers of it when there were close to finishing half-life and started production on Team Fortress 2 than they realized that it would take too long to release with half-life so they got the original Team Fortress devs to port TF to valves goldsrc engine (which is Team Fortress Classic) instead of make a Team Fortress sequel.

there is a tons of TF games for different version of the quake engine than there are game like wolfenstien enemy territory that are heavily based on the old TF.
 
I remember the original direction of TF2 as well. You've got to remember, that back when development first started on this game in 1998 most multiplayer FPS games were simply deathmatch games. The concept of a realistic, military based FPS was really quite new. Team Fortress and Starsiege:Tribes are the only two team based multiplayer games that I can recall being popular at the time. Neither of these were realistic in nature.

Eventually, as we all know, mods such as CS and DOD came out and suddenly more realistic team based multilayer games weren't new anymore.

Why did the development of TF2 take so long? Who knows. Why did they change the graphical and game play style? If I had to guess, It would be in order to make the game stand out from the crowd. TF2 is still a fairly unique game when it comes to the style of graphics and the game play.

And I for one am glad for the change.
 
Back
Top