Adding Custom skins for DoD:S (For those that have been asking)

Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
46
Ok first off, my reason for this thread is because I have heard several members asking and it is not something you can really explain over the mic/in-game chat. So I thought I would go through and put a topic on installment of skins so that people can learn how to do it.

---------------------------------------------------------

Warning - I am an XP based user. I own VISTA but I do not play any games on my VISTA machine and therefore have not done this on VISTA. They should both be about the same, but I am not sure. So this is at your own doing and if you mess anything up because you were stabbing in the dark.. don't look at me because I know nothing about Vista other then I hate it cause it treats me like a 4 year-old.

Step 1 - You need to download that skin. If you haven't I suggest checking out FPSB.com because they are like the kings of skins for Steam games. So find the skins you want and DL them but make sure you know where you put them so that you don't lose track of it. If you use FireFox like me then its easy to keep track because it makes its own box for your DLs.

Step 2 - Right click your start button and left click explore. Your C drive should be open if not open it. Go down the list til you get to Program files, once Program files is open scroll down til you find Steam.

Open Steam --> SteamApps--> the file with your user name--> Day of Defeat Source--> dod

your Nav bar should look like this:
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\insert your user name\day of defeat source\dod

Step 3 - Your page should look like this or similar. The Materials folder with green is the file you will be working with.


Warning - You should copy your Materials Folder and put it some place as a back-up. Your desktop is a good place unless you are like me and don't like clutter then keep it in your zips folder where it is safe. If you don't back this up and you screw up your configuration then you will have to uninstall or beg for a clean copy off of someone.

Take your DL'ed file and paste it on this page. It will come up with a box and you click Yes to all. If the file you are about to paste doesn't have the Materials name then you will have to open the Materials folder and paste it in there. If a file does not exist then create it. Always read the readme pages that come with your skins cause most of them will tell you where to put the skins at. You do this enough times just messen around and you will figure it all out easily. Just make sure you backup that Materials folder.

Step - 4 Boot up your game and check them out. Don't like them then reapply your old Materials folder or go find another set of skins and paste it over. Be mindful that if you don't like a skin and go reapply the old Materials folder you will lose all the skins you have added to that folder including the ones you like. So you will have to reapply them.

Also you do not have to exit Steam while doing this. You just can't be in-game while you are doing so.


Hope this helps a few of you guys and if you have any questions please feel free to post or drop me a Pm and if you have anything to add then please do so.


-Ackley
 
[quote1195946880=MaNiAc[JONES]]
im loaded with skins in css lags it up and i dont know how to erase them :(
[/quote1195946880]


That is why you save a copy of your materials folder so that you can paste it back over. I can't begin to say how important it is to do this. I would send you my copy but I have no way to upload it.
 
You don't need a copy of that materials folder. All the original Steam CSS / DoDS is in GCF. You can literally delete the materials folder and you lose absolutely nothing of the original game.


:)
 
[quote1195949566==(e)= Caine -=KK=-]
Do these steps also work the same for CSS skins?
[/quote1195949566]


Yes here is how you get to them.

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\your name here\counter-strike source\cstrike
 

Latest posts

Back
Top