Ronpaul's right here guys. He's not being discouraging, he's outlining the necessary work, objectives, and objections that must be overcome if you really want something like this to take off.
It's like saying "Let's start a business!" Ronpaul's simply letting you know that have any sort of investors backing you, you'll need to draft up a pretty detailed business plan.
...
Good start? YoSpankDawg, I hear you on the idea of generating interest, but as Ronpaul said, there have been countless "Who's interested?" threads that come to nothing. To make this happen, you'll have to take a different route and do the planning first. DOD:S is a fine enough division that when given something new to do, most people will be interested. Draft up your battle plan and you'll find things will grow from all your effort.
Ron is being discouraging (as are all of the other people who commented in support of what he said), whether he intends to or not. I know he isn't being malicious about any of this, and, ron, trust me, I realize all of the times you've understood that I was joking in a thread or set me straight in matters that were beneficial to me, but when an idea is proposed half a dozen (or more) admins jump on and say how it can't work...how many people who like the idea are going to admit it? The ones who did were "set straight". How many other people who have ideas are going to be willing to suggest them--whether they are dumb, or the best thing to happen to eGO--if they suspect a similar response?
I already clearly explained why I didn't put all my thoughts and ideas and gameplan out there right away. It should be sufficient for what I was seeking to accomplish at the moment. I was never asked if I thought about this or that or the other thing. I was never approached beyond this thread by any of you with concerns or doubts or questions.
I am the guy who sorted his Hot Wheels and Legos by color as a kid. I used to alphabetize the $5 movies at WalMart in my spare time. I wrote up a 39-page rulebook in high school for our up-and-coming church softball league so that we'd all be on the same page.
I came up with an idea for a new ranking system and, because I could without any help or input, took the time to make it...having no idea how it would be accepted. When people had concerns, I didn't say "tough luck" or tell them "it's been done/tried before", "it won't work", "if you don't like it, do it yourself"...I re-did all of it, spending even more time on it the second time around...
Do you really think I am that same person who, "before", came up with this idea after putting no additional thought into it?
But again...I was just looking for general interest in this post. I was "finding my financial backing". This did not require a vast, expansive, highly-detailed, plan or action, nor being told I had none.