A MOTD stating the server rules?

Madvillain

EGO Zealot
Joined
Jan 13, 2010
Messages
1,445
While I've been playing early mornings lately, a few people have asked me why the server rules aren't posted anywhere..

If I remember they used to be stated on the MOTD, or if I'm mistaken then in that case I think it would be a good idea for the server MOTD to provide a list of rules, particularly the rules that are often broken.

Currently the server MOTD is blank, just the basic Day of defeat MOTD.

Just my input.. I think it would do a lot of good, especially for those who choose to be wise guys and say things like "Well, the rules aren't posted anywhere".

Any thoughts on the matter?
 
Thats where the rules used to be posted, AFAIK the update knocked it out along with the other plugins... It'l be back in time.
 
Here's an excerpt from an email I sent to leadership back in October of 2008. Not too much later they re-instituted the MOTD and nothing came of it as they had it covered. I still think it's a good idea for all edge gamers servers. I figure if they can put a vending machine in Flash they can put a billboard in every spawn.

Ok here it is. If we put a big billboard in each spawn location with the rules clearly spelled out, each time a person spawns they can see the rules. Not just once on a splash screen that they click past as fast as they can because they want to play now! but everytime they spawn.

Never having edited a map I don't have a clue how to do this but with all the talent available to this clan there must be someone who can make the texture. My spray is just a screen capture of a word document that I applied a layers theme to and cropped to 256 x 256 pixels. It wasn't rocket science.

This is what I would like to see on the billboards:

READ and FOLLOW these simple rules in the server:

1. No foul, degrading, or racist remarks allowed
2. No disrespectful sprays are allowed.
3. No cheating, cheat scripts, barrier jumping,
map exploits or hacks of ANY kind.
4. No arguing with or impersonating an admin.
5. Do Not disrupt the server in any way.
6. Do Not Spam (monopolize) voice or text chat.
7. Use only one name while gaming here.

We want everyone to have fun here!

Our admins wear =(eGO)=, and =(eG)= tags before their name. Listen to them. They have been trained to mute, kick or ban players who do not follow our rules.

Did you have a good time?
Then please visit us at www.edgegamers.org

The spray refers to a copy of the rules that I made into a spray. Later it was remade in about fourteen different languages. Once the MOTD came back we didn't need the sprays anymore but if you look in my albums on my profile you can see what they looked like.
​
What do you guys think?
 
Last edited:
I sometimes use the rules as my spray, I spray in spawn so the team can read it, change teams so the others can read it. The the trouble is it seems is very few players can read but I keep trying.
 
Here's an excerpt from an email I sent to leadership READ and FOLLOW these simple rules in the server:

1. No foul, degrading, or racist remarks allowed
2. No disrespectful sprays are allowed.
3. No cheating, cheat scripts, barrier jumping,
map exploits or hacks of ANY kind.
4. No arguing with or impersonating an admin.
5. Do Not disrupt the server in any way.
6. Do Not Spam (monopolize) voice or text chat.
7. Use only one name while gaming here.

We want everyone to have fun here!

Our admins wear =(eGO)=, and =(eG)= tags before their name. Listen to them. They have been trained to mute, kick or ban players who do not follow our rules.

Did you have a good time?
Then please visit us at www.edgegamers.org

What do you guys think?

I can think of adding these:
8. If you would like a restricted class, just ask nicely. [I know #1 technically covers this, but nevertheless I feel this can be explicitly stated since I see it so often]
9. Do Not accuse anyone of hacking -- if you suspect someone take a demo and submit it on our forums. [Again, this happens all the time.]
10. This server is English-only, please. [Optional, but added it just for completeness.]
 
This sounds great. It would make everyone who is unsure of our rules know our rules.
 
I think the w/k/b system works pretty well for most mature players. Rarely after a warning do most reasonable people get uppity about what they now know is expected of them. Of course there are always the bad apples that feel the need to fight the power.

In terms of sprays and readability issues, I think a good idea (keeping in mind that w/k/b usually suffices) is to only list the insta-permaban that is the penalty for racism. Unfortunately, racist terms are used quite casually on many servers and a lot of players become desensitized to how offensive those terms and lines of thinking actually are.

There are many ban contests (though honestly a lot of them are not from DOD:S) that plead for an unban because they didn't realize our high standards and were acting in what they saw to be an acceptable manner. I'm not excusing it, or implying that we're too harsh, simply saying that many otherwise ignorant individuals would moderate their behavior if they were reacquianted with how offensive they're being via the notice that racism is serious and we take serious action.

Again, just to be clear, I don't think we handle racism the wrong way and that we should warn before permabans, simply that it might wake up some people if they read a spawn spray stating "Racism is an instant perma-ban on eGO servers."
 
I'm happy this thread has developed into some great ideas to put on the table. I still hold to the general concept of stating the rules in the MOTD, but sprays work well too, but I think that they can be ignored by players whom miss where the spray is located.
 
I'm happy this thread has developed into some great ideas to put on the table. I still hold to the general concept of stating the rules in the MOTD, but sprays work well too, but I think that they can be ignored by players whom miss where the spray is located.

Agreed -- I've had a few instances where I've told pubs to play by our eGO server rules, but without the rules being conveniently located somewhere (either in the motd or via a spray), it's kind of tough.
 
I actually prefer my idea of having The Rules posted on billboards in the spawn locations. Sprays depend on players being there to spray them and people who join after the player who sprayed them leaves can't see them. Billboards can be bigger, more clear, and are more "official". It may even be possible to make them spray proof.
 
Here's an excerpt from an email I sent to leadership back in October of 2008. Not too much later they re-instituted the MOTD and nothing came of it as they had it covered. I still think it's a good idea for all edge gamers servers. I figure if they can put a vending machine in Flash they can put a billboard in every spawn.



The spray refers to a copy of the rules that I made into a spray. Later it was remade in about fourteen different languages. Once the MOTD came back we didn't need the sprays anymore but if you look in my albums on my profile you can see what they looked like.
​
What do you guys think?

That would actually really be cool. My suggestion would be this little side bar that comes up on the screen where you must press 1 to agree to server rules displayed. The real problem is even with MOTD on the front page, or in a sidebar, I don't think most people read server rules.
 
Here's the letter without quotations:


Ok here it is. If we put a big billboard in each spawn location with the rules clearly spelled out, each time a person spawns they can see the rules. Not just once on a splash screen that they click past as fast as they can because they want to play now! but everytime they spawn.

Never having edited a map I don't have a clue how to do this but with all the talent available to this clan there must be someone who can make the texture. My spray is just a screen capture of a word document that I applied a layers theme to and cropped to 256 x 256 pixels. It wasn't rocket science.

This is what I would like to see on the billboards:

READ and FOLLOW these simple rules in the server:

1. No foul, degrading, or racist remarks allowed
2. No disrespectful sprays are allowed.
3. No cheating, cheat scripts, barrier jumping,
map exploits or hacks of ANY kind.
4. No arguing with or impersonating an admin.
5. Do Not disrupt the server in any way.
6. Do Not Spam (monopolize) voice or text chat.
7. Use only one name while gaming here.

We want everyone to have fun here!

Our admins wear =(eGO)=, and =(eG)= tags before their name. Listen to them. They have been trained to mute, kick or ban players who do not follow our rules.

Did you have a good time?
Then please visit us at "www.edgegamers.org"
​

I noticed the core of the idea was lost in your quotes, hence the reprint.
 
Wasn't there a plug-in where you had a popup box (similar to the admin menu) that stated the rules and you had to press '1' saying you agree to follow them or else you got kicked and had to rejoin?

I think it got wiped out along with the pistol mod and whatnot.
 
Wasn't there a plug-in where you had a popup box (similar to the admin menu) that stated the rules and you had to press '1' saying you agree to follow them or else you got kicked and had to rejoin?

I think it got wiped out along with the pistol mod and whatnot.

The problem with popup boxes is that people blow past them without reading the rules.

They can run past billboards too of course, but they can't claim the couldn't see them, and they are there every time you spawn.
 
Back
Top