Bug: Purple Trees!

Dr. Mallori

Rookie
Joined
Mar 16, 2010
Messages
39
Another bug thread from yours truly! :P

So, on Donner, Kalt, and Strand I noticed that some decorative trees and foliage looked rather.. unhealthy.

YBqVvl.jpg

t8FAtl.jpg

npGEal.jpg


Any ideas as to what may cause this? I did the "verify game's cache integrity" thing and it came back fine, so I don't think I'm missing any textures or anything. :facewall:
 
Haha, looks normal to me...that's the color all my plants are always (those of you who read my "YoSpankDawg Experience" thread are less than surprised). Also, half the time the sky (and, upon occasion, the water) is a pink/black checkerboard pattern.

Again, how I kill anything, nobody knows.

(now some of you know why I never see you hiding in bushes too :P)
 
you're either missing skins for those models or you're experiencing video artifacts. Verify your game integrity to re-download or replace the models.

Right click on the game, hit Properties, go to the Local Files tab and hit Verify integrity of game cache. Let us know

oh, also, after you verify, follow these instructions as per the Steam Support for post-verification. Before you do this, make sure you backup your config files, your screenshots, and your demos:

Once you have verified the integrity of your game cache files, you can make sure that your extracted game files are correct by navigating to your Steam user directory: ..Steam\steamapps\[USER NAME] and either renaming or deleting your game folder.

Note: If you are playing a Singleplayer game and wish to keep your saved games, rename the game directory.

The next time you run the game, it will re-extract the files from your game cache files. If you wish to restore your saved games, copy the SAVE folder from your old game directory to your new one.
 
Last edited:
that happened to me once i just thought it was my eyes cuz i was playing for like a day straight
 
this happens to me every now and then, when i close my game and re-open it (kinda like the invisible player glitch). Try recording and stopping a demo and see if that fixes it, works for me. To record demo just open console type record "demo" then type stop to stop the demo
 
Well, I THINK I did what ronpaul suggested. I deleted the game folder after verifying the GCF and Steam reinstalled it.. I poked around the console a bit on Donner and found the problem! (I think)

Code:
Warning! Encountered old format VTF file; please rebuild it!
Error reading material data "materials/models/props_foliage/tree_deciduous_01a_branches.vtf"

So, apparently I need to rebuild this file. Somehow.. :crying:
 
Back
Top