My (small) WWII Medal Collection

Italian_Stallion-TR-

Active Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
326
I've always been interested in WWII and wanted to start collecting anything from the time. My collection started last Christmas when I got a WWII Purple Heart from my parents, so I thought I would share my little collection with everyone.

Three medals the I have. Purple Heart with one Oak Leaf, Good Conduct Medal, and WWII Victory Medal:
Photo-0036.jpg


I've also found a few Badges and Pins in my quest for WWII collecting. (Top): US Army Parachutist Badge. (Middle, left to right): US Army Sharpshooter Badge with Rifle Bar, US Army Marksman Badge with Automatic Rifle and Carbine Bars. (Bottom, left to right): USMC Collar Pin, US Collar Pin:
Photo-0037-1.jpg
 
:o
woah my grandpa was in that war
we got a rifle from it....

god nice awards.

HOw much you pay for them?

what
 
[quote1196900879=50centricher -=KK=-]

HOw much you pay for them?
[/quote1196900879]

The Purple Heart was the most for $60, alltogether it is probably around $115-120. Everything else was relatively cheap at around $10 or $15.
 
The only thing i have in Medal form is a Ruptured Duck Pin. I have alot of field manuals from WW I and WW II though
 
great collection!

I'm not collecting but I have my grandpa's epaulettes and all the medals that were awarded to him.. :)

medals.JPG


In the middle you see the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty
On the right side the War Merit Cross with swords ("Kriegsverdienstkreuz mit Schwertern") 1st and 2nd class

The ribbon consists of the war merit cross on the left, in the middle the Eastern Front Medal (which seems to be lost :-/) and on the right the award for 12 years of service in the Wehrmacht.



Greets,
Dr3amSl33p
 
[quote1196907835=JackofSpades[JONES]]
My grand-father got a purple heart and a gold star that we have now.
[/quote1196907835]

Post some pics.
 
Okay I took some quick snapshots with my new Camera that came broken but anyway here is a few of the things I have. WHen i get my camera replace I'll take some snapshots of a couple more things

United States Army Corp of Engineer Field Manual 1917
2089695493_5bbf037081.jpg



Bluejacket Manual 1957 with Bosons Whistle
2089695371_05bde6daaf_o.jpg



Janes Fighting Ships 1941 With WW II Advertisements inside
2090481256_1607ae6f0a_o.jpg



Random Military Books
2090481210_ccbe1efb75_o.jpg

Top Left: American Battleships, Carriers and Cruisers 1968
Top Right: Semaphore and International Morse Codes: Pocket Signal Chat 1917
With Signal Cards
Bottom Far Left: Engineer Manual 1917
Bottom Left: Basic FIeld Manual" Soldier Hand Book Updated May 4th, 1942
Bottom Center: Army Song Book 1941
Bottom Right: War Ration Book NO. 3
 
[quote1196909215= ProBowl24{RD}]
arnt purple hearts like the highest award?
[/quote1196909215]

Purple hearts depending on which war they were given out in vary in rarity. It usually depends on the wound the commanding officer and the war. For instance in Korea i believe you needed to have a pretty serious wound to get one. In Vietnam they gave them out with like candy. Remember John Kerry has 3 or 4.

Unless they added one the highest military award one can receive is the Congressional Medal of Honor, the highest Civilian Award one can receive is the Presidential Medal of Freedom which was created by Truman.
 
Dreamsleep, did your father fight in the continuation war or the winter war? BTW, its the independence day of finland now. Finland is actually 90 years old today.

And that liberty cross is of the second class with swords, so it has been awarded from exceptional military service on the front lines. It's the third highest liberty cross and the 19th highest award in Finland.
 
Hey Hevi,
congratz to your independence day! :)

I think he (my grandpa btw.. not my father^^) fought in the continuation war since no germans were fighting in the winter war. at that time germany and the soviet union had a non-aggression pact, so I highly doubt any german soldiers were allowed to take part in it - not even as volunteers.
Unfortunatly I don't know any details about it though.. my grandpa didn't like to talk much about wwII and I've respected that and stopped asking questions.
But the fact that he was awarded with the Eastern Front Medal also leads to the assumption that it was definitly the continuation war.

Thanx for the further informations on the finnish medal! - it's quite hard to find information with pictures on it with descriptions in german or english, so I highly appreciate your advice. :)
 
wow, my family never recieved anything , i dont really mind all i want for them is to stay alive , i dont want them to be the real heros and crap . just care that they served the country .
 
My grandfather Miles J. Dealy was drafted into the U.S Army during WWII and fought in Europe, I have the following medals from his service:

European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 4 service stars- so he was in 4 of the following campaigns I believe they were the France,Rhineland and Ardennes or Central Europe campaigns but I'm not sure.
* Egypt-Libya: 11 Jun 42 - 12 Feb 43
* Algeria-French Morocco: 8-11 Nov 42
* Tunisia: 12 Nov 42 - 13 May 43
* Sicily: 14 May 43 - 17 Aug 43
* Naples-Foggia: 18 Aug 43 - 21 Jan 44
* Anzio: 22 Jan 44 - 24 May 44
* Rome-Arno: 22 Jan 44 - 9 Sep 44
* Normandy: 6 Jun 44 - 24 Jul 44
* Northern France: 25 Jul 44 - 14 Sep 44
* Southern France: 15 Aug 44 - 14 Sep 44
* Northern Apennines: 10 Sep 44 - 4 Apr 45
* Rhineland: 15 Sep 44 - 21 Mar 45
* Ardennes-Alsace: 16 Dec 44 - 25 Jan 45
* Central Europe: 22 Mar 45 - 11 May 45
* Po Valley: 5 Apr 45 - 8 May 45

Bronze Star "For Heroic or Meritorious Achievement of Service, not involving aerial flight, in connection with Operations Against an Opposing Armed Force."

Combat Infantry Badge is an award of the United States Army which is presented to those officers, warrant officers and enlisted soldiers, in the grade of Colonel and below, who participate in active ground combat while assigned as a member of an infantry or special forces unit, brigade or smaller size, during any period subsequent to December 6, 1941

Purple Heart - "For being wounded in action in any war or campaign." My mother told me he was shot twice.

Army Good Conduct Medal - It is awarded for exemplary behavior, efficiency, and fidelity in active Federal military service. It is awarded on a selective basis to each soldier who distinguishes himself or herself from among his or her fellow soldiers by their exemplary conduct, efficiency, and fidelity throughout a specified period of continuous enlisted active Federal military service.

World War II Victory Medal -The decoration commemorates military service during the Second World War and is awarded to any member of the United States military, including members of the armed forces of the Government of the Philippine Islands, who served on active duty, or as a reservist, between December 7, 1941 and December 31, 1946.

Army of Occupation Medal To be awarded the Army of Occupation Medal, a service member was required to have performed at least thirty consecutive days of military duty within a designated geographical area of military occupation. The Army of Occupation Medal was presented with a campaign clasp, denoting either European or Asian service, depending on the region in which occupation service had been performed. He got it for Germany (May 9, 1945 to May 5, 1955)


Weapon Qualification badges - ranking in least to greatest- marksman, sharpshooter, expert.
Rifle- Marksmen level
Carbine - Expert level

(Explains why I suck at garand but rock using the carbine :P)

Last but not least

The Honorable Discharge Lapel Pin "Ruptured Duck" - The War Department adopted an honorable discharge emblem for wear on the uniform of all military personnel who are discharged or separated from the service under honorable conditions. The emblem will be worn as a badge of honor indicative of honest and faithful service while a member of the Armed Forces.

medals.jpg


purpleheart.jpg


bronzestar.jpg
 
Back
Top