Article ITT I attempt to review every movie I've seen.

Bloody_Sunday_movie_poster.jpg


Title: Bloody Sunday
Year: 2002
Country of Origin: Ireland
Director: Paul Greengrass

Plot: On January 30, 1972, British soldiers upon a peaceful civil rights protesters killing 13.

Review: I personally find Irish history fascinating, I've written a few papers on 19th century Irish history mostly on the Home Rule movement. Anyway, a bit of background for those who don't know Irish history:

When Ireland gained its independence from Britain, Northern Ireland (most of Ulster) decided to stay in the Union...mostly because the predominantly Protestant population feared retribution from the Catholics for all those years of being total dicks to them. That retribution never actually happened, but the Protestants had a clear majority in Northern Ireland and still felt the need to keep the Catholics down. Fast-forward to the 1950s where the Catholics in Northern Ireland, partially inspired by the American Civil Rights Movement, decided to protest for equality. Several Protestant groups were unhappy with Catholic civil rights so they began to attack pro-civil right Catholic groups. The Catholics in turn banded together and fought back. Before you knew it there was essentially a civil war in Northern Ireland. This embarrassed the British who sent in troops to stop the violence...which in turned annoyed both the Protestants and Catholics who then began to attack the British troops. This would continue until the 1990s this period of violence is known as "The Troubles."

So now that we have the history out of the way; this is a well shot and well executed film. It does well not to blame anyone in particular and is portrayed in a pretty non-biased light. Its well acted and well paced and if you are at all interested in this period of Irish history, then see this film. Even if your not interested in this period of Irish history, you should still see this film.

[9/10]
 
BlackSunday1977.jpg


Title: Black Sunday
Year: 1977
Country of Origin: US
Director: John Frankenheimer

Plot: A Palestinian terrorist group recruits a bitter and suicidal Vietnam war vet to launch a suicide attach on the Super Bowl.

Review: This is a mediocre film based on a mediocre book by Thomas Harris, who you might know from the Hannibal Lecter series. I read all of Harris' books back before Hannibal Raising came out. It wasn't one of his best books By late 70s standard it looks pretty good and the film has its moments, but the production doesn't do anything spectacular. This one isn't terrible, but its not by any means required watching.

[6.5/10]
 
famocaaca.jpg


Title: Ash Wednesday
Year: 2002
Country of Origin: US
Director: Edward Burns

Plot: After Ed Burn's younger brother comes back from the "dead" it opens a can of worms in 1980s Hell's Kitchen.

Review: It there is one word that I can use to describe this film it would be "boring". If I could use two words..."really boring". Avoid this one. Also interesting fun fact, this film took in only $2,942.

[3/10]
 
More than likely cost more than that just to make the movie itself. Im sure that Ed Burns lost quite a bit of $$ making that film, but im sure thats why he got Elijah Wood to make the movie with him. Hes 1 of few movie actors thats willing to make a movie & not take in much profit (from what ive heard, but dont take my word straight from that).
 
RIP Tony Scott (1944-2012)

I might not have always liked his films, but he was still one of the most influential filmmakers in the Hollywood studio system. He will be missed.
 
Just watched the 2011 "The Thing." It was not bad. But that is just me. Give it a watch
 
11.jpg


Title: The Sweatbox
Year: 2002
Country of Origin: US
Director: Trudie Styler

Plot: An unreleased documentary about the making of The Emperor's New Groove.

Review: The term "The Sweatbox" refers to a room in the Disney Animation Studio, where executives see early versions of films and decide whether the project is on track, need rewrites, or is dead in the water. This is an interesting documentary that chronicles the process of making a film at Disney's animation studio, which in itself is interesting. What is even more fascinating is that The Emperor's New Groove was essentially the last hurrah of the Disney animated Renaissance, which started in 1989 with The Little Mermaid. We get to see the ups and downs of the production as it goes through drastic changes to meet the quality and profitability that had come to expect. Anyway, if your interested in behind the scenes of film making, then this is worth your time.

[7/10]
 
Last edited:
Never heard of it but sounded interesting... Got to go cheek that one out.

But I did watch Cabin in the Woods. Man I really enjoyed that one. Not what I thought was going to happen but it had its charm!
 
Darkness_movie.jpg


Title: Darkness
Year: 2002
Country of Origin: Spain/US
Director: Jaume Balaguer?

Plot: You really don't want to know, there something about cults and attempts to resurrect evil...but it really doesn't matter.

Review: This movie is terrible. Wait, no terrible is not the right word, if fact the right words would violate the profanity rules on this site. So lets just leave it a god awful and move on. The films biggest issue that it takes an ultra-serious, dreary and monotonous tone in the way it goes about telling its story. Outside of Iain Glen, whose voice I have a crush on, the film is filled with mediocrity and crap. The worst thing is that its boring. Avoid this turd at all costs.

[2/10]
 
Hey Sexy have you seen House (1977), the Japanese "horror" movie? it's kind of like taking evil dead II and with generic teen movie stereo types...but in Japan.
 
Hey Sexy have you seen House (1977), the Japanese "horror" movie? it's kind of like taking evil dead II and with generic teen movie stereo types...but in Japan.

Naw, haven't seen it nor have I heard of it.
 
Looper_poster.jpg


Title: Looper
Year: 2012
Country of Origin: US
Director: Rian Johnson

Plot: In the future time travel has been invented...and was immediately outlawed. Only the most powerful crime syndicates still have access to this technology and they use to send people they want dead back in time. The second they are sent back, the get shot by a Looper, think temporal hitman of sorts...but less Bad-A and more junky with a shotgun. Our protagonist is a Looper.

Review: Pretty much after the Brothers Bloom tanked financially I wrote off Rain Johnson, I mean that film lost like $20 million or some crazy amount, so I figured no one would let him make a film again. Then I saw the trailer for Looper and well it looked pretty mediocre, which I am happy to announce that completely wrong on that one. Go see Looper. Yes, GO SEE LOOPER. Remember when I went on that rant on how Prometheus was going to save Hard Sci-Fi...well it looks like Looper will do just that if you go and see it...preferably with a lot of people.

So why should I see Looper you ask? Well it turns out that Rian Johnson has a pretty good eye for science fiction and he has managed to craft one of the smartest and enjoyable time travel films in quite some time. This film is oozing with brilliant ideas and Johnson manages to hold all of them together to make a cohesive and entertaining film. Sure its not perfect, the plot wears a little thin leading into the action packed ending...but that is almost expected with a Time Travel film. So yes, go see Looper.

[9/10]
 
Looper_poster.jpg


Title: Looper
Year: 2012
Country of Origin: US
Director: Rian Johnson

Plot: In the future time travel has been invented...and was immediately outlawed. Only the most powerful crime syndicates still have access to this technology and they use to send people they want dead back in time. The second they are sent back, the get shot by a Looper, think temporal hitman of sorts...but less Bad-A and more junky with a shotgun. Our protagonist is a Looper.

Review: Pretty much after the Brothers Bloom tanked financially I wrote off Rain Johnson, I mean that film lost like $20 million or some crazy amount, so I figured no one would let him make a film again. Then I saw the trailer for Looper and well it looked pretty mediocre, which I am happy to announce that completely wrong on that one. Go see Looper. Yes, GO SEE LOOPER. Remember when I went on that rant on how Prometheus was going to save Hard Sci-Fi...well it looks like Looper will do just that if you go and see it...preferably with a lot of people.

So why should I see Looper you ask? Well it turns out that Rian Johnson has a pretty good eye for science fiction and he has managed to craft one of the smartest and enjoyable time travel films in quite some time. This film is oozing with brilliant ideas and Johnson manages to hold all of them together to make a cohesive and entertaining film. Sure its not perfect, the plot wears a little thin leading into the action packed ending...but that is almost expected with a Time Travel film. So yes, go see Looper.

[9/10]

NICE!! Going to see it today, can't wait.
 
Man I want to see Looper even more now!

But I did catch an early release DVD of Magic Mike.

It's funny because I missed the first 5 min of the film and had no idea what I was watching.
Thinking it was just some crap sex comedy film but just kept watching for some reason. As the movie went along it seemed to get better and better, till about halfway though it hit me what I was watching.

Well I found it very enjoyable and one of the better films I have seen this end of the year...

Was wondering if you have seen it yet? Or that god awful Expendable 2?
 
Have you seen Cool It!?

It's a documentary, and I didn't see any documentaries on the list, but it's extremely entertaining and informative.

Papa
 
Man I want to see Looper even more now!

But I did catch an early release DVD of Magic Mike.

It's funny because I missed the first 5 min of the film and had no idea what I was watching.
Thinking it was just some crap sex comedy film but just kept watching for some reason. As the movie went along it seemed to get better and better, till about halfway though it hit me what I was watching.

Well I found it very enjoyable and one of the better films I have seen this end of the year...

Was wondering if you have seen it yet? Or that god awful Expendable 2?

I haven't seen it yet...but yes I want to see Steven Soderbergh's male stripper film. Also no I have not seen the Expendables 2 and I probably wont till it hits HBO or Starz or whatever...


Have you seen Cool It!?

It's a documentary, and I didn't see any documentaries on the list, but it's extremely entertaining and informative.

Papa

I usually take documentaries on controversial topics with a grain of salt, so if its on Netflix I give it a look.
 
Awakeposter07.jpg


Title: Awake
Year: 2007
Country of Origin: US
Director: Joby Harold

Plot: Our protagonist, Clay Beresford, requires a heart transplant. One issue though, the anesthesia doesn't knock him unconscious. Even worse he over hears a plot to kill him.

Review: There is this great Steven King short story called Autopsy Room Four, where a man is mistaken for dead and is brought in to have an autopsy done. Turns out he is only paralyzed by snake venom and completely aware of his surroundings and the danger that he is in. You should just read Autopsy Room Four, its shorter than Awake and its a better story.

Awake, is just...well...its very boring. Not a lot happens in this film and what does happen is presented in such a way that all actions in the film come off as dull and uninteresting. None of the characters are particularly well and the dialog is as flat as can be. The camera work is pretty conventional, and lacks any visual "umph"...which might have made this film at least interesting to watch. The best thing I can say about the film is that it isn't awful, its just boring.

[4/10]
 
Ok Sexy Beast, its been over 3 weeks since you done did reviewed a movie. With your permission, im gonna go review Expendables 2 (unless you're already watching it). If you are, then suggest a movie that you want to see that you havent rented yet thats available @ redbox so I can check it out.
 
Back
Top