Update TF2 - 4/28

Wickedesque

Poster
Joined
May 2, 2009
Messages
162
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Team Fortress 2
Added new community map cp_freight
Added missing physics models for several items
Added jiggle bones to the Sam & Max items, and The Buff Banner
Added Crit-a-Cola

Dedicated Server
- Linux optimizations.
- Fixed Linux servers not relisting correctly after a master server restart
- Fixed a case where servers could have "ghost" players consuming player slots

Engine
Marked the "snd_show" convar as a cheat

Gameplay Changes

Pyro changes
-Flamethrower direct damage reduced 20%.
-Burn duration reduced (10 -> 6 seconds).
-Airblast re-fire delay reduced by 25%.
-Airblast ammo usage reduced by 20%.
-All reflected rockets/grenades/arrows now mini-crit.
-Airblasting enemies into environmental deaths now awards the death credit to the Pyro.

Heavy changes
-Minigun spin-up/down time reduced by 25%
-Minigun firing movement speed increased to just under half-normal (from 80 to 110).
-Throwing a sandvich to a teammate now earns a full bonus point (was half a point).

Bonk! changes
-Post-use movement penalty removed.
-Now has a re-use cooldown time, like The Sandman.

The Chargin' Target changes
-Direct charge hit now does 50 damage + 10 per head (up to 5 heads).
-Capped the turn rate from +left and +right while charging.

The Huntsman changes
-Removed restriction that arrows need to be aimed before they can be lit by a Pyro.
-Bow can now be lowered without losing the lit arrow.
-Changed bow so you can start charging it while you're jumping, but you can't fire until you're on the ground.
-Fixed bug where flame effect would get stuck on if you change weapons with a lit arrow.

Backpack changes
-Moved Crafting button out to the root class/backpack selection panel.
-Dragging and dropping items in your backpack now makes appropriate sounds.

Bot changes
-Bots don't retreat to gather health as readily if they are in combat.
-Bots no longer retreat when moving to block a point capture.
-Bots should now equip an appropriate combat weapon and fight while moving to collect health.
-Bots who are roaming the map and hunting now chase down their victims, following them around corners.
-Bots That fire projectiles (ie: rockets/grenades/etc) don't hold down their fire button for a minimum time. This was causing --Soldier bots to fire rockets into nearby walls as they strafed, killing themselves.
-Soldiers bots now switch to their shotgun after firing all four rockets when engaging an enemy.
-Added a few more bot names from community suggestions.
-Fixed a behavior loop with Engineer metal gathering.

The Sandman change
-Added a slight speed reduction to stunned players.

Community requests
-Added ConVars log_verbose_enable and log_verbose_interval to report player positions in the server log at regular intervals
log_verbose_enable default: 0
log_verbose_interval default: 3 secs
-"Last-weapon" initialization on respawn now sets itself to be the melee weapon if you don?€™t have a selectable secondary weapon (like The Razorback).

Bug Fixes
-Fixed an case where The Gunboats didn?€™t apply their damage reduction properly.
-The amount count in the HUD now flashes red when you?€™re low on ammo.
-Extinguishing a burning teammate now earns a full bonus point (was half a point).
-Fixed a permanent overheal exploit involving dispensers.
-Fixed a bug in spectator mode where the user aborted out of freezecam, setup a spec mode (like IN_EYE), and would then have the setting stomped after the freezecam timer expired.
-Fixed bug with disguised spy sometimes seeing his own name in the disguise status HUD.
-Fixed a client crash that could result from players with arrows embedded in them.
-Fixed items that can be worn by any class having the wrong model when worn by a disguised Spy.
-Added missing map prefixes to server browser game types.
-Killing yourself with your own sentry no longer increments the sentry's kill counter.
-Fixed dropped hats sometimes having the wrong team color.
-Fixed crit-boosted players not getting critical hits if their weapon has custom no-crit behavior.
-Fixed the achievement dialog taking a long time to pop up, and completed achievements now sort to the bottom of the list.
-Fixed Spies disguised as Medics hearing the autocaller sound.
 
Last edited:
I was about to post this :O

WOW, MASSIVE gameplay and balance changes! wow, I will have to see how this affects gameplay and gameflow before I state my opinion on it.
 
Pyro semi nerf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (changed due to noise crying like a wee baby)

Sandvich buff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Melted more cheese over the lucksman!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Last edited:
I don't know how I feel about the Pyro changes. He now deals less damage in a smaller period of time with the Flamethrower, but the airblasts do more damage? Is that a fair trade? I guess its better for skilled Pyros that actually can use airblasts.
 
Leadership is aware of the TF2 update, and patches will be applied to the servers very shortly.
 
Pyro nerf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandvich buff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Melted more cheese over the lucksman!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pyro Buff, as if the airblast pyros weren't deadly enough :glare:, the good ones can already slaughter a whole area of people using just airblast and a little fire, along with axetinguisher, now its even easier for them to do this. but YAY for heavy buff :D

ok, but I HATE this update, HATE IT, now I have to spend at least a couple hours without exiting TF2 because my demos are broken if TF2 gets updated
 
Would this be a major change or a minor one? Also, I heard a rumor that the engie update would be released after a major change? Could this be that change? Or are we all still waiting for the change? Also, has anyone heard anything on the engie release?

I like these changes. I can finally charge my arrows before going up to C/L.
 
Pyro nerf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandvich buff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Melted more cheese over the lucksman!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just the damage for the W+ m1 Pyros, it looks to me like the air-blast got buffed a little...unless I'm reading it wrong. Mini crits for air-blasted projectiles :scared:, I know that there are a few Pyros that will love this update.
 
yeah i love it, i usually don't kill people with the flamethrower. I usually light blast and ax them to death, or I shotgun them down. I don't mind it much, but killing sentries is going to be a little tough now i guess (not sure on this one don't hold me to it).
 
not everyone can airblast well (me) so I see this as more a nerf than buff. maybe an even trade.
so I'm going with NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERF!!!!!
 
yeah, but lots of the pyro's who play on our servers CAN airblast really well... waitaminute, does this only decrease the FLAMETHROWER'S damage? Does this make the BackBurner more desirable?
 
yeah, but lots of the pyro's who play on our servers CAN airblast really well... waitaminute, does this only decrease the FLAMETHROWER'S damage? Does this make the BackBurner more desirable?

Probably not, decreases burn time and stuff
 
Lol, nice update.

But.

PYRO NERF!!??!!!??

NOOOOO!

how is this a nerf? more like a rebalance, okay, heres an example:

before update: pyro runs into me as spy, half a second later im dead from direct damage from flamethrower...i have hated this for MONTHS being unable to get out of it

after update: pyro can airblast better :D and now direct flame isn't as insta-death as it used to be! HOORAY!
 
Pyro Buff, as if the airblast pyros weren't deadly enough :glare:, the good ones can already slaughter a whole area of people using just airblast and a little fire, along with axetinguisher, now its even easier for them to do this. but YAY for heavy buff :D

ok, but I HATE this update, HATE IT, now I have to spend at least a couple hours without exiting TF2 because my demos are broken if TF2 gets updated

Did that yesterday to 3 soldiers 1 with a medic... kritzkrieg activated as well as buff banner active, I dropped off battlements in 2 fort and was all alone at the bridge with that team charging right at me and the soldiers fired their crit rockets at about the same time and I airblasted 1 reflect from my flamethrower cleared the bridge! So I cant wait to try out the improved airblast ! :drool:
 
This encourages people to airblast more, mini-crit projectiles, slower airblast delay time, 20 ammo instead of 25 (20% of 25=20) and less damage from actual flames (which actually buffs the shield EVEN MORE (in my world, the shield gives +200% fire damage and you burn for twice as long, after all it is a WOODEN shield))). It also encourages people to play heavy, thanks to the faster spin up/down time (less time until/after shooting), faster movement while shooting, and giving sandwiches for, *DING DING DING* BONUS POINTS! Scouts now have more of a reason to use BONK! because of the lack of a slow-down period after use.
(also, pros use the Fire Axe)
 
Last edited:
Pyro is never nerfed! We merely have been made a little less effective at charging down people from the front and trying to directly burn them to death. For smart pyros like me, having mini crits on reflected things will help even more, and axestinguisher doesn't need them to be on fire long for me to kill everyone! BTW:
View attachment 3145

View attachment 3146

View attachment 3147
And these were before I updated! Think of what I can do now!
EDIT: Is there something wrong when I've gotten the bad habit of taunting after every reflected rocket kill if I am alone?


In other news, so, now I can't get rediculous kill counts with my sentry by comitting suicide with it :P.
 
Last edited:
Anyone else having problems joining a server? I'm stuck on "Parsing Game Info".
 

Latest posts

Back
Top