tech problem

fishman14

Poster
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
192
( I hope I put this in the right spot)

So today i tryed to play DOD:s again... It was fine until I got onto the map. Before i could click the okay/continue button to go onto strand (map) my computer gave me an error saying it could not read something because of something else... what should i do? ( if you need me to post the nubers/letters of what it said it couldnt read let me know!)

thanks
 
nope.... just told me it couldnt read something then told me to click okay ( which then exits me out of the game)
 
Could you give us a screenshot of the error?

-Allan
 
try right clicking on the game shortcut in steam, and verify the game's integrity. If that does not help, reinstall the game, but remember to turn off ALL antivirus programs when you reinstall.

From the vague error you described to us, it sounds like you are missing a file or multiple files, meaning the game did not install properly.

-Blue
 
Bass, sense your comment has absolutely nothing to do with this person problem why don't you just send Blue a PM?


When you get that screenshot up we'll be able to help you better man.
 
A screen is a must. Would be very helpful . Are your Vid Drivers updated >? Please tell us about ur rig as well.
 
I have a very old piece of junk.... my video drivers are outdated but have never had i problem with them before i was able to run the game fine for a year
 
dodhelp.png
[/URL][/IMG]
ok hope this works/ helps
 
Please stay on topic here = if you would like to argue do it on your own time lol. anyway i tryed to update my drivers but it wouldnt let me i bet i have the latest driver (update) available for my computer or so says Nvidia
* I have reinstalled the game and tryed again only to find that i have the same problem.
 
Last edited:
Please stay on topic here = if you would like to argue do it on your own time lol. anyway i tryed to update my drivers but it wouldnt let me i bet i have the latest driver (update) available for my computer or so says Nvidia
* I have reinstalled the game and tryed again only to find that i have the same problem.

What GPU do you have?
And I would recommend downloading Driver Sweeper,
uninstalling your current drivers, run Driver Sweeper, then download and install the latest graphic drivers for your GPU here.
 
To me, video drivers shouldn't be the culprit. And doing a bit of research (actually just 1 page I checked out with people having similar problems), I find this happening to people from years ago (2004)...anyhow

QUOTE:
Originally Posted by sgtdisturbed47:
Day of Defeat Source: hl2.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x240e8cc9" referenced memory at "0x0d4caf78". The memory could not be "read".
I am here to save your day mate
it is your sound card dude just make sure the sound card is securely conected to the mother board and uninstall the drivers then reinstall and it should be sweet hope i could help because i had the exact same problem email me and tell me how ya went

4/6/2006 9:07:13 PM


My HL2 was also crashing every time during a save or "loading.." with the infamous memory reference error.

Sanmeet's post at http://www.moviecodec.com/topics/4097p7.html
helped me to resolve the issue and play HalfLife2 finally

I quote him-
"
OK CHILL GUYS I HAVE THE SOLUTION FOR THE MEMORY REFERENCE PROBLEM. ITS VERY SIMPLE , I DIDNT THINK IT WILL WORK BUT I WAS AMAZED TO SEE IT DID. I ALMOST THREW MY HL CDS IN THE DUSTBIN...OK OK THE SOLUTION... CLICK PROPERTIES OF THE ICON U USE FOR RUNNING THE GAME. CLICK SHORTCUT TAB... IN THE TARGET ADD "-steam +mat_forcehardwaresync 0 +snd_async_prefetch_priority 1” WITHOUT QUOTES AT THE END INSTEAD OF JUST "-steam" "

Also, remove your windows temp files and have a clean installation.
It worked for me!

cya now, gotta meet Alyx :P
gans/

Picked this up @ http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=28550 was about 2/3 of the way down.

Edit**
Here is what I searched for in google "hl2.exe error the instructions at referenced memory at The memory could not be "read"" without the beginning and ending quotes.
 
Last edited:
yeh i thought it was a corruption problem but a hardware compatibility issue actually makes more sense now that we know the
error saying it could not read something because of something else
is a memory error. If the fix that matt found does not work I have another idea but lets see what happens with this.

-Blue
 
so let me review!
1. Check to make sure sound card /motherboard
2. uninstall drivers then reinstall drivers
(now im done? )
OR
do i have to add the "-steam +mat_forcehardwaresync 0 +snd_async_prefetch_priority 1?
Either way im powering down to check the sound card....Please keep in touch!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top