New build in progress Suggestions needed

Nuke

Active Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2008
Messages
332
Well heres my new build it might be a few months before i can gather enough cash to do it but, heres what i got so far. I am reusing my drives and alienware case (except hd) and i have to look at my powersupply but, i think its a 24 pin connecter with enough connectors for this video card but, this is what i have so far. Suggestions needed




Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $84.99


GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard $94.99

Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/4G $136.99

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor Model $185.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $99.99

GIGABYTE GV-N470D5-13I-B GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video $349.99


so far the total is around 960 bucks. I went with a new HD because its a TB and well needed space. I think this system will work together but, does anyone have any suggestions/concerns i know the geforce 295 has a higher fps but, a lower min fps is what i've heard compared to the new 470/480 but, the 470 is dx 11 and thats what i want. Again any suggestions please feel free to comment!
 
Whoa 24 pin connector? Thats the mobo connector am I right? haha. Yours only needs 2 6pin for the card. That processor requires more power so you better figure an aftermarket CPU cooler in your budget!
 
i've also heard all the 6 cores are multitasking/server processors. Also about the cooler i believe stock heat sink and fan will keep it cool enough don't want to kill my warranty yet. I am using a case with about 7 fans in it and it has 2 open sides with dirt traps heat has never been a issue of mine. I'm curious of the min power supply i should have to run that vid card and cpu
 
i've also heard all the 6 cores are multitasking/server processors. Also about the cooler i believe stock heat sink and fan will keep it cool enough don't want to kill my warranty yet. I am using a case with about 7 fans in it and it has 2 open sides with dirt traps heat has never been a issue of mine. I'm curious of the min power supply i should have to run that vid card and cpu

If you're getting a GTX 470 and a Phenom II 955, you'd want at least a (good) 650W.
 
You should try this link at newegg.
I didn't even know they had a power supply checker.

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/p...ickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA


Also if your not sure what kind of power supply you want, check this link too.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/awards

These guys know what their talking about when it comes to PSU. They don't go by brand name, they do thorough tests and I'm frankly happy a community like them exist. They test efficiency (lots of manufacturers lie about their specs apparently), quality of parts (they open it up), if the cost is reasonable, and my favorite the noise the PSU fan makes at 20%, 50%, and 80% loads.

Just look at the golden awards to cut your time reviewing their list, and only look at the ones that meet your requirement suggested by the Newegg PSU calculator. Trust me the information from that website regarding PSUs will blow your mind away as well as save money. I just hate their website name... sounds like some sort of computer conspiracy website.


Sorry, I wrote a lot but I'm also building a desktop rig and I'm trying to lower the cost so I know how most people feel (Bang for the buck). However, to save money we have to research and take time. At least I know I'll sleep better at night lol.
 
Last edited:
i've also heard all the 6 cores are multitasking/server processors. Also about the cooler i believe stock heat sink and fan will keep it cool enough don't want to kill my warranty yet. I am using a case with about 7 fans in it and it has 2 open sides with dirt traps heat has never been a issue of mine. I'm curious of the min power supply i should have to run that vid card and cpu

Don't worry about voiding your warranty with an after-market heatsink, 99.9999999% of the time AMD/Intel will still honor the warranty even if you used an A-M heatsink.

Wow that's really cheap.
But, that's not a gaming CPU. It's a multitasking CPU. The 955 will do better in games.

I don't remember him saying that he was only gaming.
 
well i caculated with that calculator and it doesn't have the 470 on there
so i guess i'll go with 1000w psu. NOW the only one i can get is expensive and has the 24pin connector but, money is not the option here so here

Thermaltake TR2 TRX-1200M 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

* ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V ... $209.99
* 100 - 240 V
* 80 PLUS Certified

* Fans: 1 x Ultra-quiet 140mm cooling fan
* Main Connector: 24Pin
* +12V Rails: 2
* SATA Power Connector: 8
 
Now i've always used stock fans and this alienware case has plenty of fans in it 1 on the side 2 on the HD 2 big 120mm in the back. Would it be ill advised to use the stock heatsink/fan. Like i've said never had problems before.


in this i have a amd 4800+ and duel 8800GTS with 4gigs of ram it runs cooler then cool usually runs about
28C which is roughly 80degrees


Also this case is MASSIVE has 4 long lines on the side with dirt traps well screens if u don't clean it lol

This is my exact case
alienware-alx.jpg
 
Last edited:
You'll be fine with stock cooling for sure. No need to spend extra money on another cooler. Maybe couple years down the road if you still have the same processor you can just do a little upgrade by overclocking. Then you can buy yourself an aftermarket cooler.

AMD Phenom II X4 will last you a long time (7 years +). Majority of people are still are on dual cores. Most of the hardware performances are way ahead of the software.

Heck processing speed hasn't even changed much, I remember back in the pentium days this was the case. Now its who has the most cores lol.


By the way love the case. Looks kick ass*
 
Last edited:
I'm up to around 1200 bucks now with this build

do you think this powersupply will be good or is it too much.

Thermaltake TR2 TRX-1200M 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

* ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V ... $209.99
* 100 - 240 V
* 80 PLUS Certified

* Fans: 1 x Ultra-quiet 140mm cooling fan
* Main Connector: 24Pin
* +12V Rails: 2
* SATA Power Connector: 8
 
well just looked at my ram and it wasn't on the compatibility list so i went for this ram its alot faster and alot more expensive $340 bucks but, hey gotta get this thing working right now all i have to do is buy it total $1397 plus 12 s&h




Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 Desktop Memory Model KHX2133C8D3T1K2/4GX
Item #: N82E16820104144
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy



$339.99
 
and scratch that last post i found this thats compatible for the memory compatibility list on gigabytes website and its cheaper and comes with a fan to mount onto the ram which is sweet

G.SKILL Trident + Turbulence 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17066) Desktop Memory Model F3-17066CL9D-4GBTDS

i will link everything again
 
I'm up to around 1200 bucks now with this build

do you think this powersupply will be good or is it too much.

Thermaltake TR2 TRX-1200M 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

* ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V ... $209.99
* 100 - 240 V
* 80 PLUS Certified

* Fans: 1 x Ultra-quiet 140mm cooling fan
* Main Connector: 24Pin
* +12V Rails: 2
* SATA Power Connector: 8

That PSU is pretty much crap

If you really want a kilowatt, I would get this:
Antec TPQ-1200

or

Silverstone DA1000


Now, for you setup i doubt that you will need more than 850 watts.

I would get:

Antec TPQ-850

or

Corsair HX850

or

XFX 850w

or

Seasonic X750


I know that is a lot of choices, but out of those, the Last one (seasonic) is THE best. You cannot buy a better power supply. If you cant get the seasonic, then the Corsair HX850 would be the next best choice followed by the XFX.


EDIT:

If you plan on Overclocking, I would get a different board. The 770 chipset is not known for its overcloing abilities.

I would get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131651
It uses the brand new AMD 870X north bridge. So for the 8XX series has been really good for overclocking (using one right now). It will also support the ram below.


If you are going all out on ram, G.Skill Pi's are better than the tridents. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...31355&cm_re=g.skill_pi-_-20-231-355-_-Product


EDIT EDIT:

That brings up a point. The board you selected wont run the ram at its rated 2133MHz.

Definetly go with the ones i suggested above.
 
Last edited:
After much deliberation with reflex being so helpful i am now going with this setup and all i can say ATI 5870 ftw


compbuild.jpg
 
eh whats 20 more bucks and if it overclocks better like u say i'll go with it
 

Latest posts

Back
Top