Computer preformance issues

THE_fury

Rookie
Joined
Jun 24, 2008
Messages
34
Hey guys, I have been having performance issues on my laptop. I took a break from TF2 back in October and have recently come back to it. But when I play I have god-awful FPS, this wasn't an issue back in October. So i did some rooting around and ended up reformatting my computer I have the most up to date driver i can get off nvidia's awful driver site and I am still having issues.

I play with every setting set to low and reduced my resolution to 800x600 and I still top off at maybe 40-60 FPS.

It gets worse, as i play my FPS starts to drop to about 15 FPS where it will stay for a while and then it tanks and hits 9 FPS, which will make the game unplayable and even after I close TF2 my comp will be laggy and sometimes I cant even close TF2 and it crashes.

Anyway here are my specs:

Laptop model: Dell Latitude E6400

Operating system: Windows Vista Business Service pack 2 32-bit

PROCESSOR
2.93 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

MAIN CIRCUIT BOARD
Board: Dell Inc. 0G868N
Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A17 09/17/2009

HARD DRIVE
250.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
193.32 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

GRAPHICS
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M [Display adapter]
Generic PnP Monitor (14.0"vis)

RAM
3.5 gig

If you need anymore computer specs just tell me what you need. I am not very tech savy


And on a final note, this laptop is preforming at the same level as my old 6 year old desktop, and the CANYOURUNIT website says i should be able to play TF2 fine.
 
Last edited:
Theres been a lot of updates to TF2. 40-60 FPS should be fine to be honest.
 
the big issue is that my computer only gets 40-60 FPS for a few minutes then it tanks. I cant even play on the blackmesa server all that water makes my fps drop and stay at 9 FPS and never recover.
 
Actually the new version of steam killed most of my games. I use to run l4d and l4d2 just fine on medium to high graphics now I can barely run them on low settings.
 
But my computer seems to have performance issues sometimes with just two or three windows of Firefox open, and that shouldn't be a graphics issue.
 
I second the ram and graphics. Time to upgrade. I prefer ATI Radeon over NVIDIA anyday, just some food for thought. From my experience, ATI has been more compatible with more games than NVIDIA
 
So I need to upgrade my video card on a laptop that isn't even a year old yet? And why would it work fine several months ago and suck now? If I do have to upgrade am i going to have to do it again in another year, or should i resurrect my desktop and upgrade that instead?
 
Run a disk clean up
Run a defrag
Try killing other processes (firefox, itunes, etc) when playing games.
How hot is your laptop getting?
Defrag your steam games (right click on the game in steam's game window, properties, local defrag and verify game integriy
Enable multi-core rendering in your Video >> Advance when the game has been launched
 
I just defraged the game, and I set my game to multicore rendering but I didn't see any improvement from it.


I could fix up my old desktop but it keeps suffering from nv4 infinite loop crashes...
 
Today i noticed when i pulled up the task manager after tf2 crashed on me yet again, that the memory usage is only at 52% on my computer but my cpu usage is at 100%. Would this mean that my computer doesn't need more RAM but needs a new processor?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top