Cs:s

50centricher

EGO Addict
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
1,298
"ConVarRef sb_dontshow_maxplayer_warning doesn't point to an existing ConVar"

What does that mean? I get that in the console when I try to connect to a server and it doesn't even try connecting to the server at all. It just says server not responding. This happens for all servers including eGO. This has been happening since this update and it is just annoying. I have deleted all files dealing with CS:S and reinstalled it, it worked for a bit then I get that above...How do I fix it without having to delete the game and reinstall it over and over?
 
You have to completely reinstall Steam and Counter-Strike: Source to fix this problem, unfortunately. I've had this problem before and that was the only way I could fix it. (This was right after the update, too.)

Uninstall Counter-Strike: Source then Steam using the "Add/Remove Programs" item in the Control Panel. It may show up differently than that if you're not on Windows XP. Remember, CSS first, then Steam.

Check for the Steam directory wherever you installed it to make sure it wasn't hanging around with any files. If it's still there, delete it. This will ensure the programs are completely gone.

If you know what you're doing, I would suggest checking the registry for entries on counter-strike source and steam. If you do this step, be extremely careful. One wrong move could mean a complete reinstall of your entire System.!

Download Steam.

You should be able to figure it out from there, I assume.

The link is a direct link to the "Install Steam Now" button on the Steam Store page. It's using the same link that button is.
 
You have to completely reinstall Steam and Counter-Strike: Source to fix this problem, unfortunately. I've had this problem before and that was the only way I could fix it. (This was right after the update, too.)

Uninstall Counter-Strike: Source then Steam using the "Add/Remove Programs" item in the Control Panel. It may show up differently than that if you're not on Windows XP. Remember, CSS first, then Steam.

Check for the Steam directory wherever you installed it to make sure it wasn't hanging around with any files. If it's still there, delete it. This will ensure the programs are completely gone.

If you know what you're doing, I would suggest checking the registry for entries on counter-strike source and steam. If you do this step, be extremely careful. One wrong move could mean a complete reinstall of your Operating System!

Download Steam.

You should be able to figure it out from there, I assume.

The link is a direct link to the "Install Steam Now" button on the Steam Store page. It's using the same link that button is.

Eh i wish it wasn't that option but thank you. I will do it and report bakc if it is fixed. I will use CCLeaner to fix any registry, i don't want to mess my os up. But thanks. Going to do all that now.
 
im getting this crap every damn day now too... all my games suddenly stop responding... i can view game info of my steam friends from my desktop when i right click on them and click view game info. but once i launch a game, be it CSS or TF2, nothing responds and i see that same red error in console when i click on a server and the connect dialog pops up


ConVarRef sb_dontshow_maxplayer_warning doesn't point to an existing ConVar

been happening all week.

just one more thing in the endless slew of things that valve has f'ed up. really wish these idiots would start beta testing things for once... new UI sucks, mac updates have broken things on windows pc's... its just unbelievable... ive never seen a software firm that has to release so many updates and bug "fixes" each month
 
when this happens, ive been going into my steam folder and deleting everything except the steamapps folder and steam.exe then relaunching steam so it re-installs the other files and re-updates itself. but eventually i get this same connectivity issue again, whether it be a day or 2 later or just 5 minutes after i finish playing and try to enter a different game.
 
Hmmm does this happen for non source games too by any chance? CoD4 keeps crashing like after 3 mins of gameplay
 
I tried there beta program and it seemed to fix its self. Maybe try doing that if you want. But I had it after I uninstalled everything including steam and just went to beta. Working for me so far.
 
None of the above dosent help..

Im getting the
ConVarRef sb_dontshow_maxplayer_warning doesn't point to an existing ConVar
error, and tryed to uninstall CSS, Steam, and manually delete every folder there would be that comes with Steam and Css, clean registry, rename file names, tryed with other accounts... u name it

Nothing of whats written so far helps..
 
None of the above dosent help..

Im getting the
ConVarRef sb_dontshow_maxplayer_warning doesn't point to an existing ConVar
error, and tryed to uninstall CSS, Steam, and manually delete every folder there would be that comes with Steam and Css, clean registry, rename file names, tryed with other accounts... u name it

Nothing of whats written so far helps..

Are all of the correct ports open on your router and your firewall?
 
Back
Top