Decreasing Video File size

frap

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jun 12, 2008
Messages
2,032
Hello,

I sometimes record Video files using Fraps, but the videos go up 100gb in size. Is there any way that I can successfully get these files to a small size, without losing much of the quality? I would like to be able to upload some of these videos to youtube. I have used Windows Movie Maker, however after uploading and compressing, the video loses a lot of quality, and does not look good in youtube. In Fraps I use 60fps half sized videos. If I used full size the video size triples. I have heard of divx and some other alternatives, but would like a free alternative.
 
It's pretty much impossible to compress videos without losing quality.
Try going with 30fps half sized videos, instead. I think Youtube only outputs 30fps, anyway.
 
It's pretty much impossible to compress videos without losing quality.
Try going with 30fps half sized videos, instead. I think Youtube only outputs 30fps, anyway.
Alright, I tried doing that, but it always lagged my game everytime I did it.
 
Alright, I tried doing that, but it always lagged my game everytime I did it.

If you have WinRar, you can compress them in a .zip file then remove it from the .zip. It should compress, I am not 100% certain though. I'll get some more info on this topic and report back.
 
If you have WinRar, you can compress them in a .zip file then remove it from the .zip. It should compress, I am not 100% certain though. I'll get some more info on this topic and report back.

It will compress, but not that much. But it won't be usable, then.
7zip > WinRar imo.
 
I recommend using XviD and a 32 bit version of VirtualDub.

  • Install XviD
  • Download and extract VirtualDub to a location you want
  • Launch it using VirtualDub.exe and load your video file via File -> Open video file
  • Go to Video -> Compression... and select Xvid MPEG-4 Codec from the list
  • Select Audio -> Full processing mode
  • Go to Audio -> Compression and select MPEG Layer-3 from the list
  • To start processing the file, go to File -> Save as AVI... and select your output location

This will compress your video while maintaining good video quality.
 
i used to be a ace at this stuff. you can compress a video file with very little quality loss but it takes time and effort and a lot of frustration. megui was the best program for high quality small file size encoding but that might have changed since its been a year or so since ive used it. its open source, and was still being developed while i was using it.

just to give you an idea of how powerful it is i was shrinking 4gig+ dvdrips down to 400-600mb. the down side is your going to have to do a lot of reading and have to play around with the program for awhile till you get it right but its worth it in the end.

heres some links:

the program
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megui/

the doom9 forum. this will have all the info you need to get started.
http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=78

i was going to add the afterdawn forum as well but cant find the right section. all you will need to know is on the doom9 forum. a quick word of warning. avoid the "one click encoders" like the plague., they do nothing and normally come with trojans and other nastys

hope this helps. if you need some more help pm me or add me on steam
 
what worked for me was using the divX codec on virtual dub (you have to download divx to get the codec). I compresses the vid with very little loss of quality and the file size becomes much much smaller and (since fraps only records certalin lentths) you can use divx to put all the clips together..... however, after the 14 day trial of divx, you have to pay 20 dollars to keep the codec (that wasnt too bad for me).
 
If you download Virtualdub then install the divx codec, it takes those 10GB files down to 30MB. Still in excellent quality
 
Thanks everyone,

I have been playing with VirtualDub and different codecs all morning.
 
VirtualDub.... Should've thought of that! I had to use that when I edited CS:S videos.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top