PC Case

Snipeye

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
4,867
Alright, I need some major advice on a partial new build:

I've been trying to save $$$ up to buy all new PC components at once, but the way expenses vs income is, my only way to get new parts is to buy one or two a month.

Current PC:
Intel E6750 @2.66GHz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 mobo
Apevia MX-Pleasure Full Tower Case
Xigmatek 750watt PSU
Seagate 1TB, 750GB, 640GB internal HDDs w/ 1TB+640GB external HDDs
EVGA GTX 285 video card
Corsair XMS2 2x2GB DDR2 800 MHz
Hanns-G 21.6" Widescreen LCD Monitor + Dell 19" Standard LCD Monitor
DVD-/+RW Burner
Windows 7 Premium OS

Backup components: EVGA 8800GTS 320MB, Intel E6300 @ 1.86GHz, 2x1GB OCZ S.O.E. DDR2 800 MHz RAM, and an old backup gaming PC that's based around a Gigabyte board w/ Athlon XP 3000+, nVidia 6600GT 128MB, Antec P180 case.

Issue: Current PC system experiences crashes almost daily. The problem is based around the video card. The design of the case, the risers for the motherboard, and the video card design itself doesn't allow it to seat properly into the motherboard's PCI-Express slot. The current mobo only has ONE such slot so trying to move the video card won't work. Additionally, the case design allows me to seat the hard drives only in the lower bays. Because of this issue, I need to upgrade.

Advise: Talked at length with EVGA representatives about the issue and the two ideas they had was: Find bigger risers for the motherboard (already tried, won't work), or getting a new case that's more current. For background, the Apevia MX-Pleasure case is a great full tower case. However, I bought it back in March 2007, so it's design isn't up to spec with the friggin' long video cards today. Weirdly enough, the 285 card I got now was a replacement to my 9800GX2 that I submitted a few months ago due to the fan/heatsink dying. The cards are comparatively the same size, but whereas the 9800GX2 fit perfectly, the 285 doesn't. The 8800GTS 320MB does fit fine, may I add.

Temporary fix: Plan on uninstalling video drivers for GTX 285, and plug the 8800GTS 320MB back in. However, with that said, I'd like a new home for the 285 bc thats a lot of GPU to not be used. I'd like recommendations on four things:

1) Case: Priority. I can move all current PC components to a new case, and this is the easiest way to fix my GPU issue, I hope. I like full tower cases because of the number of HDDs I got, plus how large my GPU is. Additionally, I am looking at buying MORE HDDs, and sound card as well. Just can't get enough storage for myself...

2) Motherboard: Still using my E6750 C2D processor, I'd like a new mobo possibly to put it into, one that is in line with today's models, so that I have room for future upgrades (DDR2/3 compatibility, i5/i7 CPU compatibility) NO AMD BOARDS. Sticking with Intel for the foreseeable future. Mobo must have at least three SATA connections for HDDs, preferably 4 or more. I do not plan on ever using two video cards at once.

3) New PSU: Xigmatek PSU has done well, but I'm concerned about its reliability. Current issues, plus old GPU's cooling dying, makes me worry that the PSU may be on its way out (though there are no other signs of this). I'm looking at getting a Corsair 750 or 800watt PSU to replace, or serve as a backup. Any thoughts?

4) Memory: Assuming I do get a new mobo+case, I'd like some advice on DDR3 memory for whenever I get that new i5/i7 CPU. 4 or 6GB would be best.

Hope someone doesn't mind helping me with these questions.
 
1)Case: yeah, unless you want to remove parts of your current case to accomdate a longer video card a new case is in order. Coolermaster makes some really good cases (Scout, Sniper, 932, Haf) or (if you have money to burn...) corsair obsidians are really great. it really depends on your preference and how much you want to add on to your case (esp if you want to add water later....you gotta plan for that).

2) Mobo....well with no AMD and a i5/i7 youll be looking at a pretty big chunk of change......all that aside ASUS Rampage is good (i havent used a bad RoG board), EVGA classifide is good, Gigabye boards are good....... any newer board will have everything you need, its just depending on your budget. EDIT: Most of your newer i5/i7 compatable boards are DDR3 and wont use older processors. Just somthing to consider

3) PSU.... I like the Corsair 750 but as far as PSU goes, there are probably better people to ask on what is best (lots will tell you Corsair but there are other good ones out there). My advise will be to get a modular PSU.

4)Memory: I like Corsiar on i5/i7........they like each other too.

Do some shopping, do some research, see what you like/what fits your buget.
 
Last edited:
Case: CoolerMaster HAF Series. Pricey, but has space and cooling for double of everything you need.

Mobo: ASUS or don't buy it.

PSU: I like Corsair, Rosewill, and the like. Stay away from bargain-bin PSU. (Your current PSU is ok.)

RAM: Corsair XMS or don't buy it.

I'm not very nice about things like this, but I'm damned sure honest. ;)
 
Update: As much as I wanted to, I couldn't find a better case that was cheaper based off of design and reviews than the Cooler Master Cosmos 1000. However, I'm hesitant to purchase based off of the # of negative reviews about their customer service. I've had a few issues with my APEVIA case, but the manufacturer mailed in spare parts, or responded to emails almost immediately. Anyone got personal experience to tell about CM?

Also decided that a Cosair 850watt PSU will be best for $130.

Still looking at CPU and motherboard: Question: LGA 1156 or LGA 1366 being phased out?
 
Last edited:
Update: As much as I wanted to, I couldn't find a better case that was cheaper based off of design and reviews than the Cooler Master Cosmos 1000. However, I'm hesitant to purchase based off of the # of negative reviews about their customer service. I've had a few issues with my APEVIA case, but the manufacturer mailed in spare parts, or responded to emails almost immediately. Anyone got personal experience to tell about CM?

Also decided that a Cosair 850watt PSU will be best for $130.

Still looking at CPU and motherboard: Question: LGA 1156 or LGA 1366 being phased out?

I have never dealt with CM customer service. My CM Sniper though is pretty rubust and i have had no issues with it..

Nice choice for PSU

LGA 1156 and 1366 shouldnt be going anywhere anytime soon....
 
Case: CoolerMaster HAF Series. Pricey, but has space and cooling for double of everything you need.

Mobo: ASUS or don't buy it.

1. PSU: I like Corsair, Rosewill, and the like. Stay away from bargain-bin PSU. (Your current PSU is ok.)

2. RAM: Corsair XMS or don't buy it.

I'm not very nice about things like this, but I'm damned sure honest. ;)

1. Rosewill is a bargain-bin PSU. :sleep:
2. Corsair XMS is pretty good, but it's not the only thing you should look at.

Update: As much as I wanted to, I couldn't find a better case that was cheaper based off of design and reviews than the Cooler Master Cosmos 1000. However, I'm hesitant to purchase based off of the # of negative reviews about their customer service. I've had a few issues with my APEVIA case, but the manufacturer mailed in spare parts, or responded to emails almost immediately. Anyone got personal experience to tell about CM?

1. Also decided that a Cosair 850watt PSU will be best for $130.

2. Still looking at CPU and motherboard: Question: LGA 1156 or LGA 1366 being phased out?

1. What PSU? The 850TX or 850HX? There are much better options for 850W.
2. I'd go 1156, since 1366 is more expensive, and i7's are overrated. An i5 750/760 will perform better in games than an i7 920/930 (at stock). Plus, HT is basically useless in most programs. Unless you absolutely need it, go LGA 1156 with an i5 760.
 
Update: As much as I wanted to, I couldn't find a better case that was cheaper based off of design and reviews than the Cooler Master Cosmos 1000. However, I'm hesitant to purchase based off of the # of negative reviews about their customer service. I've had a few issues with my APEVIA case, but the manufacturer mailed in spare parts, or responded to emails almost immediately. Anyone got personal experience to tell about CM?

Also decided that a Cosair 850watt PSU will be best for $130.

Still looking at CPU and motherboard: Question: LGA 1156 or LGA 1366 being phased out?

To be honest, I'd rather not deal with CM's Customer Support staff. I have dealt with them (CM) quite a few times about some of their 'cheaper' and 'lower-end' cases. It's bad enough that I use Antec for the majority of my 'cheaper' custom-builds. Sometimes you can get what you need from them easily (lost screws, etc.) sometimes not (blank plates, bent items, etc.). The trick is to get a higher-end case like the HAF series and take the support out of the equation.

I understand your concern about the Cosmos series cases. I can't speak for others' experiences, but I didn't see any major design-flaw(s) to speak of with the last one I had in my hands. If I remember correctly, the HDD bays were a bit cheap and flimsy but nothing wrong overall or with the cooling design.

I hope this helps you.



Also, for clarification;

Rosewill does make a bargain-bin PSU and I recommend avoiding it as with any other bargain-bin PSU. However, the Rosewill XTREME Series PSU is a nice bang-for-buck purchase. I currently use an RX750-D-B 750w PSU that I purchased a year ago for about $85 wholesale. Side-by-side with a current Corsair 750w PSU, same stable power, same temperature, same response time, and at almost $60 cheaper the Rosewill PSU holds its own.

By no means did I mean for a free-pass for Rosewill's cheaper line of PSUs.
 
Last edited:
The Corsair 850TX. There may be better PSUs for the same wattage, but will they be more expensive or cheaper (It's $110 with $20 rebate)? And would it match the 5 year limited warranty that Corsair offers?

Another factor to remember is length of cables. Full tower cases need pretty long PSUs, and the CM case I'm eyeing right now is a reverse design; PSU at the bottom instead of on the top per tradition.

I'm trying to keep everything under a $500 budget over two months, if applicable. I understand that I'll most likely have to go over budget, but at the least, I can secure a new PSU and case, my two most worrisome issues atm.

Ram: I like OCZ, Patriot, and Corsair RAM, even Geil sometimes. First three are the ones I consider to be truly reliable, having bought mostly OCZ and Corsair for my gaming PCs.

PSU: Rosewill is improving it's quality, it depends on the model. Some models are built to a better quality than others. However, they can't compare to the overall quality as Seasonic, Hiper, Sunbeam, PC Power & Cooling, mostly Thermaltake, and now Corsair PSU's. But of course, with quality comes cost. Thermaltake, Hiper, Xigmatek, and some Corsair PSU's are what I would consider above-average quality PSU's, with many of their models almost qualifying as way-above-average quality. Rosewill is more average quality, with some models dipping below-average, and a few above-average.

I'll most likely go with LGA1156 + i5 as it's more cost effective, and best bang for the buck PC's are what I typically build, if going all at once (be surprised what you can fit into a $1200 budget, excluding monitor and OS)
 
Thanks for your post too Angellas, just beating me by two minutes. LOL.

Your response is what I was looking for; buy high quality case from them, to avoid the Customer Service issue. Overall design looks good, with only a few nitpicky issues. I think I got a winner in this case (for comparison, look at how the Antec P180 and Apevia MX-Pleasure cases look like compared to it). I'll probably be making a purchase later on this or next week, once I figure out the total cost of everything (and budget for it)
 
The Corsair 850TX. There may be better PSUs for the same wattage, but will they be more expensive or cheaper (It's $110 with $20 rebate)? And would it match the 5 year limited warranty that Corsair offers?

Another factor to remember is length of cables. Full tower cases need pretty long PSUs, and the CM case I'm eyeing right now is a reverse design; PSU at the bottom instead of on the top per tradition.

I'm trying to keep everything under a $500 budget over two months, if applicable. I understand that I'll most likely have to go over budget, but at the least, I can secure a new PSU and case, my two most worrisome issues atm.

Ram: I like OCZ, Patriot, and Corsair RAM, even Geil sometimes. First three are the ones I consider to be truly reliable, having bought mostly OCZ and Corsair for my gaming PCs.

PSU: Rosewill is improving it's quality, it depends on the model. Some models are built to a better quality than others. However, they can't compare to the overall quality as Seasonic, Hiper, Sunbeam, PC Power & Cooling, mostly Thermaltake, and now Corsair PSU's. But of course, with quality comes cost. Thermaltake, Hiper, Xigmatek, and some Corsair PSU's are what I would consider above-average quality PSU's, with many of their models almost qualifying as way-above-average quality. Rosewill is more average quality, with some models dipping below-average, and a few above-average.

I'll most likely go with LGA1156 + i5 as it's more cost effective, and best bang for the buck PC's are what I typically build, if going all at once (be surprised what you can fit into a $1200 budget, excluding monitor and OS)

Well thought and an A+, sir.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top