What does this mean...

JavaBasher

Thread Junky
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
762
The message I'm referring to is my anti virus, or SHAW (which is also my internet provider), popped up with this message. Was I hacked or is my STEAM infected? Or is it just being stupid?


EDIT: If unreadable it says;

DeepGuard has noticed that an program is trying to manipulate or terminate another process, which is potentially dangerous. The program is:

Steam

d:\steam\steam.exe

What should be done?

o I trust the program. Let it continue.
o I do not trust the program. Block the operation.


Operation: Attempt to maipulate a protected process.
Rish score: Low (0/100)
Target: Process ID 3116
Location: c:\program files (x86)\shaw secure\common\fsm32.exe
 
Last edited:
It's just being stupid.
If it worries you, download Malwarebytes, then run a scan in safe mode.
 
Well you wanted some anti-virus links

Here is my personal Setup
Avast Free Edition: http://www.avast.com/index
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (It's free): http://www.malwarebytes.org/

But here are some other ones:
http://www.avira.com/en/pages/index.php
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

If you are willing to pay I would go with Kaspersky or Nod32.
http://www.kaspersky.com/
http://www.eset.com/

Whatever you do DO NOT GET AVG It is a fail.

(This is starting to be a own little thread o.O)
If you are unsure about a file you can upload it to this site and they will scan it with usually 30+ Anti-Virus Programs.
http://www.virustotal.com/
 
Last edited:
Perhaps this could be a sticky thread? :O

For all future references if anyone has questions about their PCs having possible viruses or malware, they can surly come here.
 
When I saw the title of this thread I instantly thought of this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX0D4oZwCsA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX0D4oZwCsA[/ame]
/trollmode

Probably a false alarm
 
its prolly wanting to close gameoverlay or another program that steam runs, and closes when its done and your protectron(yeah protectron from fallout 3 XD) unit dosent like it

i also think that when someone has a problem it should be marked like uncompleted, and when its fixed it should get changed :D
 
Get Trend Micro

Or not.........actually, almost all av programs do this anytime any program or service wants to connect to the internet. It's really nothing.........Just click allow and I'm sure it'll be fine. My trend micro does it to me as well sometimes.
 
Back
Top