I have a server that we can use!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaxOnTheBeach102387

I made one post
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
14
I have come into owning a Dell PowerEdge 2600 Server with 2 2GHz Xeon Processors, 6x73GB SCSI 10,000RPM Hard Drives. I was wondering if I could put it to use for us Edge Gamers! Let me know! I'm gonna load Windows Server 2008 on it here in a bit. Just get back to me ASAP so we can talk about it and make a decision. I'd be happy to run it here at home for Edge's use.

-Sax
 
Unfortunately, eGO doesnt accept servers from outside sources.

You can always run your own server on it and invite friends on :D
 
Why not? I have fast internet and a well running server that I'm willing to let you guys use. All of your servers aren't in one location, are they?
 
No they are not all in the same location, but it has to do with sponsors and other stuff. They would also need to be in a location that the higher ups could get to for resetting and general maintenance. I would definitely go with what iSimon said and make your own server.
 
Edgegamers cannot accept servers that arent 100% controlled by them. Its a security issue really.
 
Security how? I guess I just don't understand. I'm willing to donate a Server and the power used to run it.

All I can say is while I know for a fact that they appreciate the offer, but it's not something that will happen.

Like Simon said before, just start your on server and invite friends. You will be able to add mods to it or whatever you like. Should be a lot of fun and good experience.
 
And when you get the server up and running, make sure to post the ip address so that we can join an play....
 
And when you get the server up and running, make sure to post the ip address so that we can join an play....

I would advise against this, if you do build your own server you should PM your friends, message them on Steam or PM them on vent to advertise the server but our forum moderators will take action against any thread with an outside server IP in it.

As mentioned here, the tech crew isn't too keen on putting outside servers under their administrative wing, especially since it would be out of the realm of their hosting. Even if they had root or administrative access, so would you, and you could pull the plug whenever you want. If there's a hardware failure they don't want to rely on you to service the machine, a process that could mean hours or days of downtime for an eGO server. From a security standpoint, if they took over the machine and you retained administrative access (which of course you would) you could see everything under the hood in terms of configs, password files, source code, etc., and that's too great a risk for them to take especially (and no offense) with an E level member.

The only way I could see your server hosting eGO game instances is if you physically shipped them the box and opened a recurring donation tab to support hosting, all this with the caveat that you could choose the game and/or map, etc., might be reasonable.

Do you work at a data center or something sax? What kind of internet do you have now anyways? That'll probably be the most constricting factor
 
Thank you for the offer, but eGO does not accept servers from members because of the need for complete and easy control over them. If our servers came from different people, in different locations, etc, it would be extremely hard to perform maintenance and other functions.

You can still donate to eGO through other means, but we do not work off of others' servers.

Also, as ronpual stated, publicly advertising servers to our members besides official eGO servers is strictly against the rules.

If you have questions please feel free to contact me through ventrilo or a pm here.

-Blue
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top