PC won't start

HazeUk

Thread Junky
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
900
Before I accidentally changed a setting on my boot configuration from my desktop. I changed the number of processors I had from 1 to 2 and I didn't even realise I was trying to optimise ram. My PC now won't even start it just goes to BSOD. I can't figure out how to change it back to 1 without going on my desktop. If anyone knows how I can change it through BIOS or something I would be very very very grateful.

Thanks.
 
Alright Haze, first start us out with what hardware your using. The more details the better such as component part numbers or at least model numbers. Everything such as what motherboard your using, cpu, ram, etc. How did you come across changing the number of cpu's in your system anyway?
 
What is the BSOD error message?
And, if you just go back into the BIOS and return them to factory defaults, it should be fine.
 
Okay I'm on my iPhone. I'll try my best.
My motherboard is an ASUS PG5X.
My CPU is Intel Core 2 CPU [email protected]
I have 4GB of ram 2x2GB.

I was following a tutorial on how to use the most of your RAM, I did it through msconfig. I accidentally changed the processor value and clicked restart without noticing. And ice tried setting back to default and it still goes to BSOD.

As for the message it's on and off in a flash. It says it's detected 1 error though on startup fix.
Oh and my OS is windows 7 ultimate.

Thanks.
 
Have you tried using your windows disc to perform a system recovery? Can you boot into safe mode?
 
I can't fid my disk. And I'm getting no options for safemode, but I have a feeling safemode might work.
 
What is the error message on the BSOD?
Also, did you make any changes to other settings like changing SATA operation to ACHI from ATA?
 
Yes, try going in on Safemode. I think that's the only way it will work. You may have to reformat if that doesn't. :/
 
I'll try safemode if I can. Really really really don't want to reformat but if I have to I will.
The BSOD goes off too quickly I'll restart and try get some of it. I haven't changed anything to do with SATA either, just the number of processors o be used on boot :/

Thanks.
 
To get into safemode or advanced boot options, keep pressing F8 when starting your machine up.
 
The BSOD said something to do with boot config error, which makes sense.
And when I use the F8 it just brings up Which boot device do I want to use, it usually works straight into advanced boot options.

Thanks
 
haze best option now is to find your windows disk and preform a repair,
 
Yeah looks pretty scuffed up, I can't even get to safe mode. Looks like I'm going to lose alot of stuff. The BSOD did say Bad Boot Cofig.

Thanks for all your help all.
 
Update, absolutely no luck. I found the msconfig through command prompt but according to my pc I'm not the admin, so I can't run it. If I could run that, problem solved.
 
Go to My Computer, right click on your C Drive, and go to Properties. Under the Security Tab, click Edit, and check Full Control and Apply and OK.
 
Can I do that through command prompt? I can't actually get to my desktop :/
Thanks.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top