Lag issues with Ventrilo

Spitfire'd

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
2,235
Hey gang,

I've been having a problem with Vent lag when I'm playing in our servers at night. It will all work fine for 5-10 minutes, then when I'm in game I'll notice I'm not hearing anything in Vent. I'll come back and sometimes I can even see people are talking but I don't hear anything. Then I'll disconnect and immediately hear everything that I should have heard while I was connected. I've tried everything I can think of and I'm wondering if I just missed some simple mistake.

Here's what I'm working with, it's a beauty from our sponsor Cyberpower PC.

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 245 Processor, 2.9 GHz

Ram: 4 Gigs

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

I'm running Ventrilo Client for Windows x64 (version 3.0.5)

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: It is also a wireless connection if that is a factor

-Spitfire'd
 
Last edited:
I've noticed some games turn down vent volume. Somewhere in windows sound options you need to make it so that it doesn't turn voice down on certain things


Rather vague response yes, but I'm not on a pc to find it for you this moment
 
I've noticed some games turn down vent volume. Somewhere in windows sound options you need to make it so that it doesn't turn voice down on certain things


Rather vague response yes, but I'm not on a pc to find it for you this moment

Do you mean like right click the speaker icon -> Playback Device -> Click on the speakers -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> Uncheck exclusive modes there should be two checked off in windows 7?

**I had to do this to my mic so I could use my mic in Insurgency and Vent at the same time**
 
Have you tried to see if you experience the same issues on a direct connection instead of using wireless?
 
Oops, sorry if I gave the wrong impression. When it's working I have no problem using a mic in game and in Vent almost simultaneously, the volume levels are fine.

It's just a vent lag. Example: I'll say something to someone, and on the screen I can see they are saying something back, I just won't hear it for 30 seconds, much longer in extreme cases. The thing is if I disconnect, I'll immediately hear what they said, like something just backed it up and held it (packet loss maybe?)

I have not tried a direct connection. I'm not sure I have an Ethernet cord that can reach that far, I'm just a little too far from the router. Let me see if I can investigate that and get back to you; I will edit and update this post once I've figured that out.

Thanks for the help so far!

EDIT: Well I'm hard lined in right now and so far it hasn't happened yet, but at the same time I have a hard time believing that it only happens because I'm wireless. I almost positive I didn't have this issue with my old PC which was wireless through XP.

Even if that is the only reason, hard lining it in isn't going to be a feasible option. I mean if that's the only reason its happening then I'll accept it and just not be able to be in Vent as often. I'm just not convinced that this is the issue.
 
Last edited:
I switched down to a 32 bit version of Ventrilo and it seems to have improved. It is working a lot better than the 64 version but there were still some times when it lagged up a bit. I did it wireless and wired.

Hope this all helps. It's working better but if there are any other suggestions I'm open to them.
 
How are you connected wirelessly? (Brand/model of WiFi Router and Receiver)
 
Snipeye, it's all Linksys equipment that's about 5 years old. Works pretty good all things considered.

I've made those adjustments, thanks so much Spidey. I'm in Vent trying it out right now. If I don't post again, consider it fixed. I can't believe I didn't think to check their tech support forums.

Thanks again!
 
Back
Top