ATi drivers keep failing

BaCkStAb!

Forum Fiend
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
729
Hey all, I just bought a new ATI radeon HD 5770 graphics card and im having problems with my drivers :(. Every time i try to play a game like CS or DOD my game freezes for about 45 seconds to 2 minutes, flashes a different color, and then the game works as if nothing happened. after closing out of the game i get a warning that says my graphics drivers have failed and have subsequently recovered. this happens atleast once every 10-12 minutes every time i play a game. im pretty sure i installed the drivers wrong in the first place but ive tried uninstall/reinstalling everything to no avail.

any and all help is appreciated :)
 
I would try rolling back to a previous version of the drivers, test it on that.
 
did you get the most up to date drivers from the ATI site or use the install CD? You probably did not install the drivers wrong (as long as you didnt change the install path). Also, was your previous card from Nvidia or ATI?
 
i downloaded the most recent drivers from amd's website today. my previous card was an nvidia. from what i could tell it looked like the new drivers were installed perfectly
 
Are the old nvidia drivers still on there and possibly interfering?
 
i forgot to uninstall the old drivers first but since then i have tried uninstalling my old nvidia drivers. most of the nvidia stuff uninstalled but some nvidia drivers are still on but refuse to uninstall. i downloaded a driver sweeper which still cant uninstall them. any ideas? the sweeper shows that i still have nvidia physx, display, and chipset on my comp as well as the new ATI drivers
 
Having PhysX isn't a bad thing. A lot of games use it, it's just not hardware-accelerated PhysX that only CUDA cores can do.
You can try doing it through Revo Uninstall.
 
Did you run the driver sweeper in safe mode? I say you should uninstall it all, then reinstall the ati drivers again. If it keeps happening, is your PSU able to handle the new card?
 
ok so i ran the driver sweeper in safe mode and removed all the drivers i could. an NVIDIA driver and an ATI driver could not be removed so i went ahead and reinstalled the new ATI drivers anyway. drivers are still failing. any ideas?
 
for my own computer, if I could not fix the problem in safe mode, I would reformat.

-Blue
 
I was having the exact problem!! turns out I was using the wrong driver :p

I was using the 64 bits one, I had to downgrade to 32 Bit, I was having loads of trouble with 64
 
I was having the exact problem!! turns out I was using the wrong driver :p

I was using the 64 bits one, I had to downgrade to 32 Bit, I was having loads of trouble with 64

And i cant believe i forgot this suggestion myself....very important and can cause major issues.

also

There is a small issue with this cards bios, you may need to update the bios of this card itself.
 
Back
Top