CSS keeps crashing on my new computer

Handoffate

Poster
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
210
So I recently bought and put together a new computer. I first installed windows XP 32 bit which had some errors so I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit which had much too many problems so be worth it so I reinstalled windows XP. My desktop spec looks like this:

_S_P_E_C_S_
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Board: 870-G45 (MS-7599) 2.0
2.80 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series [Display adapter]
Acer H243H [Monitor] (23.8"vis, s/n LEW0C0044002, May 2010)1000.19 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
16X12 DVD DUAL [Optical drive]
WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAV55478857, rev 80.00A80, SMART Status: Healthy
3328 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM1' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' has 2048 MB

_P_R_O_B_L_E_M_
My first problem and most important problem is as follows: The HL2.exe engine crashes abruptly while I am playing CSS(usually between 10 and 30 minutes). I have zipped the "Belarc Advisor" information and the Crash log in a zip file in the following link: [ame]http://rapidshare.com/files/421107917/Handoffate.zip.html[/ame]

_Other_
Flash player crashes very often when I am using Google Chrome and when I had firefox it would often crash in that. Also I get and "Aw, Snap - something went wrong while displaying this page" Error with Google chrome(often when i have multiple pages open)
I have had a few "Memory could not be read" Errors however not recently but next time I have one I will screen cap it.

I have never had this many problems on a fresh install but for some reason I am having many problems... I am literally |___| this close to just slamming my brand new PC with a bat repeatedly then buying myself a new $1000+ gaming laptop set up by someone else... or becoming a console gamer

P.S. 50,000 Casino cash to a successful fix :)
 
Last edited:
Have you made sure all of your drivers are up to date, as well as Windows updates are all installed?

Also, did you use the "Quick" option when you were formatting to install Windows XP?

Check your cstrike folder in Counter-Strike. There should be a folder named "logs" or "crash" in some way or form. That should contain a crash log of the game. Upload all of them in a zip file to http://www.mediafire.com/ and go to "my files" and click on the name of the zip file you uploaded and give us the link.

The folder should only show up if the game crashed at any point. If it doesn't anymore, then valve must've removed the feature because it always saved a crash log on the old engine.
 
a few things....

update video and audio drivers - audio issues have been found to crash Source games.. I was haveing an audio/crash issue a few weeks ago (aka freeze with looping sound)

goto run... type in dxdiag and click on sound tab.... move "Sound Acceleration" from full to standard --> if it is already at standard, move down 1 more tick...

this should have ya fixed up.

as for CS:S, go into the game properties and run a verify of game files.(this will most likely come back with an X amont of files could not be validated and will now be re-installed)

if the issue still persists.. Please go into your Steam program file and delete the "ClientReg.Blob" file ---- then restart Steam, sign in and it will download and install all updated Client side info.

I believe that the above should get you back up and running 100%.
 
Last edited:
Just dropped my PC off at a friends to see if he can help any so I'll get it back tomorrow or the next day(not sure if I'll have time between work and watching football to pick it up :D)

Have you made sure all of your drivers are up to date, as well as Windows updates are all installed?

Also, did you use the "Quick" option when you were formatting to install Windows XP?

Check your cstrike folder in Counter-Strike. There should be a folder named "logs" or "crash" in some way or form. That should contain a crash log of the game. Upload all of them in a zip file to http://www.mediafire.com/ and go to "my files" and click on the name of the zip file you uploaded and give us the link.

The folder should only show up if the game crashed at any point. If it doesn't anymore, then valve must've removed the feature because it always saved a crash log on the old engine.

Yes i did use the quick setting and I'll get you those crashes once i get the PC back if im still having the problem. Thanks
 
Just dropped my PC off at a friends to see if he can help any so I'll get it back tomorrow or the next day(not sure if I'll have time between work and watching football to pick it up :D)



Yes i did use the quick setting and I'll get you those crashes once i get the PC back if im still having the problem. Thanks

That might be your problem. When you get it back, ask your friend if he reinstalled Windows XP. If he did, ask him what formatting option he used (Quick or Full). If he didn't or he used the Quick format, reinstall again and make sure you do a full format.

Every time I've used the "Quick" formatting option it gave me problems. Applications would crash, Windows wouldn't start sometimes, and I would continually get random errors.
 
Video Drivers are up to date - Audio Drivers are up to date - Reformatted fully instead of using the quick option (took about 2 hours) - 102 files were broken in CSS even though I just installed it lol so I'm reacquiring those

The game lasted about an hour or so (Longer than before) but it still crashed. I have just done the dxdiag sound edit and I will test that tomorrow however I cannot find the crash files. Any idea as to where they are located for CSS?

One thing is puzzling me - In System it is saying I have 3.25 gb of ram when I have 2x 2gb strips in there. Is there a way to test them other than just using 1 or the other? I'll probably just run my PC with one tomorow to see if that helps. I'm thinking that this all could be a memory problem but IDK.
 
Last edited:
Whoa. Before trashing your PC, consider donating it to me? :D

Okay, first things first- get Speccy, and upload a picture of the Summary tab.

E/ Also, go back to Windows 7. XP is horribly out of date now. Plus the Windows 7 is 64-bit, and that is why XP (32-bit, but any copy of Windows as long as it's 32-bit would do this) only shows 3.25GB ram. Get with the times, man.
 
Last edited:
Still crashing however this time it gave me a memory could not be read error - any way to find these crash logs so i can upload or something? The windows 7 64 bit is in the mail going to take 4-6 weeks or something ridiculous like that

565388untitled.JPG
 
Hm...
Have you deleted the ClientyRegistery.blob yet? Log out of Steam first.
Once you do that, try again.
If that fails, right click on it, then go to properties. Verify the Game Cache, in the local files tab
steam.jpg


If that fails, get the latest drivers, which you can get through Steam like so
steamdrivers.jpg


But if you can not get the drivers through Steam, get them here (this link is the download)
Also consider updating your sound drivers, which can be found at Msi's website (I had trouble finding these, so you're going to have to find those yourself).

That's all I can think of for now.
 
I have done the validation on CSS a few times and it seems that no matter how many times I do it it always has about 100-200 broken files. I have also checked all my drivers deleted the blob file and turned off the dxdiag audio acceleration. Still my game crashed about one every hour.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I seriously can't even imagine what could be the problem at this point :( could be hardware
 
I have done the validation on CSS a few times and it seems that no matter how many times I do it it always has about 100-200 broken files. I have also checked all my drivers deleted the blob file and turned off the dxdiag audio acceleration. Still my game crashed about one every hour.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I seriously can't even imagine what could be the problem at this point :( could be hardware

Okay, try deleting some of the CSS data then verifying the cache again.
 
Ok these hopefully will be helpful - they are the hl2 errors which I get when CSS dies.
http://www.mediafire.com/?uf953i92a7vzpcd

I'm also leaning more towards an audio error - when I play windows media player CSS seems to die much faster. This may also just be because I'm running more than one task at once but I'm not sure. Also I can hear the css audio when it is minimized now(couldn't before) not sure if that means anything.

I'm deleting and verifying cache ATM then I will play until it crashed(or hopefully not) then I'm going to bed... more info tomorrow
 
Just fixed the problem today. Disabled onboard audio and put in an old sound card from 1998 - It was a hardware problem after all - 2nd motherboard from MSI which was shipped to me broken :(.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top