Rouge App Help

Rukus.

Forum Fanatic
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Messages
976
Every week my younger (15) sister manages to infect my dads computer with a rouge application (Peak Protection last week, Security Suite before that, now Microsoft Security Essentials) that she gets off some malicious website. Meaning every week I have to go over and fix it, Since this is the third week in a row I have to take drastic measures. I'm turning on content advisor in IE so that she can only go on Myspace and Email without the password that only I, my dad, and my dads roommate will know. Do you guys think this will fix it?

  • This only happens on my dads (Vista) computer
  • This has to be on a site she can only use on my dads computer (the one im on right now is hardly even suitable for browsing youtube)
  • It only happens when she's over there, it never happens to me.

Follow up question, would you or would you not be pissed if someone made the same mistake three times in a row even though you warned them each time?
 
Yeah, people that are inept with computers and seem to ruin them just by touching them aggravate me. It's not that hard not to get virus's. What kind of malicious sites could she be going on? Just clicking on random links/ads?

Why not just install a really nice anti-virus? (ie, not norton) And don't use Internet Explorer, switch to Firefox.
 
Microsoft security essentials is a legit program.

I use it on my laptop.

Other than that,

anti-virus+malwarebytes
 
Microsoft security essentials is a legit program.

I use it on my laptop.

Other than that,

anti-virus+malwarebytes

So a legitimate AV program will tell me that Opera.exe and my Sys32 folder are both trojans huh?

Yeah, people that are inept with computers and seem to ruin them just by touching them aggravate me. It's not that hard not to get virus's. What kind of malicious sites could she be going on? Just clicking on random links/ads?

Why not just install a really nice anti-virus? (ie, not norton) And don't use Internet Explorer, switch to Firefox.

I suspect its something like that, but she wont tell me so I can put a stop to it.
 
Avira has the highest detection rate (out of AVG and Avast, not sure about MSE, I haven't used it).
But I would make her a very very strict account for her, that only has access to Myspace, and absolutely no access to any windows files, or any outside of her documents. And, make her use a different browser, such as Chrome Plus, then get Ad Block and Ad Thwart plug ins.
 
Avira has the highest detection rate (out of AVG and Avast, not sure about MSE, I haven't used it).
But I would make her a very very strict account for her, that only has access to Myspace, and absolutely no access to any windows files, or any outside of her documents. And, make her use a different browser, such as Chrome Plus, then get Ad Block and Ad Thwart plug ins.
Yeah, or Ad Block and No script with Firefox. Other browsers in general just have a lot less security flaws than IE. I would get Ad Block either way, since it's so helpful. Removes ads from any site, never have to see them again. Not sure what I would do without it. Even removes those stupid 30 second youtube ads.
 
I personally prefer AVG. It actively scans running processes, and when you hover over a link it'll scan it and by the time you click on it, AVG determines whether it has a virus and will redirect your browser to a warning page asking if you want to continue or go back to safety.

If you launch a program that has a virus embedded, it automatically quarantines it by default and stops the application from running. When AVG Quarantines a file, it moves it to the "Virus Vault."

Never heard of Avira.

Would use Avast! if I could learn to stand the home edition of it.

Microsoft Security Essentials isn't that great. It's just the basics to provide extra protection than just the firewall. It's meant for people that browse the web on just a few sites that the user finds is trustworthy, such as MySpace, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, or other commonly visited sites.

For free AV's, I prefer AVG. If I pay for one, Avast! all the way.

Meh. It's really just your personal preference for a trusted antivirus program/suite. Everyone has their opinions.
 
AVG is too resource heavy for my liking. It's just a hog when it's active. :/
And Avira has the best detection rate, which is the most important to me. (Source)
 
I have also had two computer crash when trying to uninstall AVG, back in the day i used it quite often without issue. Now when i try to replace it, it does not like being removed. Its best to use a third party removal tool to deinstall it if you decide to remove it.
 
Back
Top