Router/Adapter issues

Storan

Rookie
Joined
Oct 10, 2010
Messages
31
Took me about a week to set up a D-Link DIR-655 router to broadcast a steady internet connection, but what concerns me is that I'm in the next room and I'm getting 3/5 bars. The router is on the top floor and a computer in the basement is getting 4-5 bars. My adapter is a D-Link DWA-552 and the other one is a Asus PCE-N13. My adapter is receiving a higher uplink than the PCE-N13 but sometimes drops down to an unusable number.

Things I have done:
-Router firmware updated
-Adapter drivers updated
-Found the best possible position for the router
-Have played with the router settings (192.168.0.1) and found that default settings are by far the best settings.

Everything between the router and my adapter (by antennas): a computer, electronic upright acoustic piano, old TV and wooden stand, closet [cloths, nonpowered electronics, boxes], 2 thin drywalls.

other wireless components in the area: 1-2 phones, 1 alarm clock, 1 ipod

One thing that confuses me is that Windows shows 3/5 bars, which is about 60% strength, while the D-Link Wireless Manager says 78%-90%, and the router says 35-65%.

Any ideas?
 
This should be in the Tech Help section, and a mod should move it.

And you have tried to set the signal strength to full in the router's settings?
 
oh im sorry, i didnt see the tech help subforum at the top

but as far as I can tell it is at full strength
(remember, a computer almost three times the distance from the router than I am have a stronger signal)
 
oh im sorry, i didnt see the tech help subforum at the top

but as far as I can tell it is at full strength
(remember, a computer almost three times the distance from the router than I am have a stronger signal)

And you have tried updating the wireless driver for your laptop/netbook/whatever that is closer to the router?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top