TF2 Loading Time Issue

iEye Captain

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jun 14, 2009
Messages
2,849
Hi!

I bought TF2 recently and I noticed that connecting to the servers takes about 5 minutes (not exaggerating).

When it reaches "Retrieving Server Info..", it stops for about 5 minutes.

This doesn't happen for CS:S (takes less than 1 minute to connect to servers)

Is there something I can do on my end to speed up the connection to the servers? I'm new to TF2, so I'm just thinking there's something about TF2 that I can maybe tweak?

Thanks! :)
 
Hmm, this is very strange. Its never taken me this long. Normally when it takes a few mins i leave the server and try again or join another one.
 
Yeah.. but the thing is, I can't exit, the whole game freezes up, but in about 5 minutes, it magically continues onto "Sending Client Info..."
 
owh, i thought its a normal thing to happen? Mine usually took 5-6 min as well. If theres a way, hope you can share with us. :D
 
TF2 uses a lot more resources then CS:S.
Average for me is..CS:S uses about 250k in resources and TF2 uses almost a million.
It is natural that TF2 will take longer to load.
In fact, TF2 used to take 7 minutes for me to connect to a server.
There's several things you can do to correct this,

1) Turn off any unused programs.
2) If you have a multicore processor and use Windows Vista/7, you can set the affinity to use all of the processors instead of just 1, if it's not set already.
3) Upgrade your computer.

Other then that, you'll have to wait it out, from what I am guessing.

edit: Your connection will not affect how your computer loads TF2's information. This is based on RAM, programs being ran, virtual memory and other factors.
edit2: After searching Google, I found this result that may help you.
 
Last edited:
Hmm.. thanks Ric.

From what that link is showing, it doesn't seem like I'm the only one with this issue.

I guess I'll just have to wait until I upgrade my PC!

:)
 
Anytime buddy. Any future Tech questions, feel free to PM me for a quicker response. Tell your friends, too! :)
 
TF2 uses a lot more resources then CS:S.
Average for me is..CS:S uses about 250k in resources and TF2 uses almost a million.
It is natural that TF2 will take longer to load.
In fact, TF2 used to take 7 minutes for me to connect to a server.
There's several things you can do to correct this,

1) Turn off any unused programs.
2) If you have a multicore processor and use Windows Vista/7, you can set the affinity to use all of the processors instead of just 1, if it's not set already.
3) Upgrade your computer.

Other then that, you'll have to wait it out, from what I am guessing.

edit: Your connection will not affect how your computer loads TF2's information. This is based on RAM, programs being ran, virtual memory and other factors.
edit2: After searching Google, I found this result that may help you.

The game is only ran off a single core. Sure, it can balance the load between two cores (or more, but not sure on that), but it doesn't ever utilize both cores to 100%. DX8 is awesome, right?

Same problem, even with an SSD. So, it's definitely the game.

The game is horribly coded. I mean its bad. -_-
 
They are just slapping code onto more code with all these updates, and not going back to optimize and clean it up so it works together well. So, you get low fps, and bad loading times.

One of the reasons I quit playing tf2.

Used to be able to get 250+ fps playing 32 insta-respawn 2fort on an un-oc'd q6600 and 8800. Now I can sometimes dip into the 40s with a q6600 @ 3.2 and 5870.
 
They are just slapping code onto more code with all these updates, and not going back to optimize and clean it up so it works together well. So, you get low fps, and bad loading times.

One of the reasons I quit playing tf2.

Used to be able to get 250+ fps playing 32 insta-respawn 2fort on an un-oc'd q6600 and 8800. Now I can sometimes dip into the 40s with a q6600 @ 3.2 and 5870.

Same!

My FPS is terrible on TF2. I can't play Heavy or Sniper or anything that requires quick reflexes like in CS:S.

That's why I play Engineer now. :(
 
I had this issue when i ran tf2 with a lower end computer ... try using a performance config ... gotfrag is really good with those.
 
Back
Top