Server Upgrade

I speak as someone who has been doing this for a long time, and I'm sure you'll agree, that is a fairly recent development. Anyone who was running NT would want to reboot once a week. But I concur, Microsoft has made great progress in reliability.

That's just my two cents.

Windows NT as a server? I don't have experience with NT as a server, only as a workstation and it was a horrid platform to work with. Windows 2000 Server edition was pretty stable, but required a lot of maintenance and application suites to bring up to the level of linux at the time.

Windows XP Professional was a welcome addition as a workstation platform.

Windows Server 2003, and most recently, Windows Server 2008 have been absolutely outstanding as server platforms. I don't restart my server unless I have to, and I only update the server for updates once a quarter, unless there's a critical security update for any applications or services I am actively using.

It's pretty much locked down for anyone but those with RDP access. Short of turning on IPSec or implementing Active Directory/LDAP, there is not much more I can do. Obviously, applications requiring external access are open to the outside world. Only recently have I opened MySQL to the outside world and only to my other servers.
 
Yeah...NT 4.0. Thats going back a ways! Its still out there too. My recent experience is with 03. That was a pretty good one too...
 
Yeah...NT 4.0. Thats going back a ways! Its still out there too. My recent experience is with 03. That was a pretty good one too...

You do realize that Windows XP and Server 2003 are NT 5.1/5.2. Windows 7 and Windowx Server 2008 are NT 6.x, right?

:thumbup1:
 
Oh, and I forgot a picture:

upgrade.png
 
You do realize that Windows XP and Server 2003 are NT 5.1/5.2. Windows 7 and Windowx Server 2008 are NT 6.x, right?

:thumbup1:

Oh yeah.... still though, there are alot of NT 4 installations out there. If your doing the consultant gig, you run into them all the time! :)
 
It's not that it's bad, but an upgrade is always nice. :thumbup:

The only upgrades I have planned are replacing the main drive (not the primary OS drive) and backup drive with 1TB drives. More storage space, and they perform very well.

Other than that, I am looking at picking up a new server with hardware that supports HPET which Windows Server 2008 uses.

Oh yeah.... still though, there are alot of NT 4 installations out there. If your doing the consultant gig, you run into them all the time! :)

True. Those people need to upgrade :cool:
 
Back
Top