OS (operating system)

fishman14

Poster
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
192
So I recently got my new computer. The operating system is windows 7 (which happens to be 62bit) and it turns out some of my favorite older programs dont run (cant run) on a 62 bit operating system. :cursing: So I need my computer 2 run 2 different operating systems. How do I do that? Im hoping it is something easy like just make the guest log on into the other operating system...I only want 32 bit when im runnning those certain programs. If that made any sense just post with some help.
Thanks :cool:
 
You should be able to run 32 bit programs in 64 bit OS's. At least in mac you can, although if I recall when I had vista 64 bit it also could run 32 bit programs.
 
Have you tried running the programs in "compatibility" mode?

Right click on the application and select "Properties" in the popup menu.
Go to the Compatibility tab.
You can select to use compatibility mode for systems back to windows 95.
If that works then you won't have to dual boot your system.
 
64 bit operating systems can run 32 bit programs in compatibility mode. Most programs you install should be 32 bit anyway, BUT if there is a 64 bit version out, get it.
 
Windows 7 contains a compatibility layer for all 32-bit applications. It may take some jury-rigging, but you should be able to run 99.9% of all 32-bit programs within the SysWOW64 environment.

Can you list the names of the programs that you are having incompatibilities with? I would highly not recommend running two separate Windows setups... it's just not necessary. Save that partition space for an Ubuntu 10.10 install. ;)
 
oh i just wanted to play some other games *not really programs lol* umm 18 wos haulin for instance
I just assumed it was the 62bit was the problem casue id read some stuff online.... I cant even get it to download....
 
Last edited:
oh i just wanted to play some other games *not really programs lol* umm 18 wos haulin for instance
i just assumed it was the 62bit was the problem casue id read some stuff online.... I cant even get it to download....

no 62 bit
 
oh i just wanted to play some other games *not really programs lol* umm 18 wos haulin for instance
I just assumed it was the 62bit was the problem casue id read some stuff online.... I cant even get it to download....

If you cant get it to download, thats a whole other story.


80% of my programs are 32bit, and they run on my 64bit OS fine
 

Latest posts

Back
Top