Plugged in 24/7

You should remove the battery if you leave it plugged in 24/7, yes.

Most laptops (well, my laptop) has an app that shows you the number of cycles for your battery (how many times you've recharged it) AND after a while it'll start showing you how much degradation your battery has experienced; like, after 2 months of use, your battery may only hold 92% of the charge it did when new.


Do complete cycles when you can. Try not to 'top off' your battery when it's only a little low - wait till it's pretty low before charging it.
Don't leave your battery in once charged when running on AC.
 
Last edited:
Leaving it plugged in permanently will cause it to lose charge faster when it isn't plugged in (if the cell is left in). For the most part, that's it as far as I know.
 
batterys are only good for only so long, usually measured in # of charges. keeping plugged in = bad idea.
 
to be totally honest, if you leave your laptop plugged in 24/7, you probably would never notice degradation on your battery. I have a few older laptops that still have a battery life very near to when i bought them and they have spent most of their time plugged in.
 
to be totally honest, if you leave your laptop plugged in 24/7, you probably would never notice degradation on your battery. I have a few older laptops that still have a battery life very near to when i bought them and they have spent most of their time plugged in.

I agree. My current laptop stays plugged in 24/7 unless I am travelling.

With that being said, I don't restart my laptop unless I have to either.
 
I don't know about PCs in general, but when I had my older mac, the one featured below (without the new i7 that my new one does) I left it plugged in all night, and the battery health was still above 95% after a year. However I did use it everyday until it was dead at school or while working, so that might have something to do with it. I honestly think that if a cell phone or my BB gun has a smart charger, (meaning that it stops charging after the battery is full and only supplies enough power to keep the computer going), that a laptop would have one, and therefor not be affected by having it plugged in all the time.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top