Vbulletin Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

acefisher1

Thread Thumper
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
1,026
So I've been thrown into the driver's seat managing a Vbulletin forum. I have no previous experience with their interface unfortunately.

I know PHP and MySQL, but i'm having trouble even being able to get into the config file.


The issue we have is this: We need to sync a paypal account to the new user registration to admit new sign ups after they pay the yearly dues, as well as allow renewals.

So far I know I need to get into the FTP and make myself a Super-Admin.
Then i'll have access to the control panels I need to add the new info.

I'm able to connect to the FTP, but it isn't allowing the username and PW I have on file from the owner of the site.

I'd love to be able to sit and chat through this with someone if you have time. Posts here and PMs are also more than welcome!
 
Hello,

I don't understand your problem, are you having trouble accessing the admin FTP?

Please provide more information,

- What hosting do you use?
- What FTP program do you use?
- What is the problem?

Please provide the following information, and Private Message me, when you do so.

Thanks!

-Bole.
 
You'll need to reaffirm with the own if the username/password isn't working
do you have root access?

For adding paypal:
Select the checkbox to enable IPN
Enter the following in the field under the checkbox:/forums/subscriptions/paypal.php
Click on Save
Now go to your vBulletin Admin Control Panel > vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > Paid Subscriptions, and enter your PayPal email in the text box.

you'll also need to set it up example here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/subscriptions_example

here's the manual section: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/subscriptions

the entire Vbulletin manual is located here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/introduction
 
as far as the config.php you're looking for Vbulletin is a bit funky, you don't want the admin cp or even the public_ftp one, you're looking for the one that's in public_html/forums/includes

to gain super admin power (given you have authroity in the ftp)

edit the config.php at this line:
Code:
// ****** SUPER ADMINISTRATORS ****** 
// The users specified below will have permission to access the administrator permissions 
// page, which controls the permissions of other administrators 
 = 'userid';
 
I'm using Cyber Duck as my FTP program.
Hosting is through GoDaddy
The problem is our paypal is no longer authorizing new users after paying through paypal (ie: user x paid $25 and never got the authorization email).
The issue compounding the problem, is that we have no competent super-users, or anyone that knows they are if they are. I need to be one.

I need to know how to get the config.php and how to upload it back if its any different than downloading and uploading normally on an FTP.

We really need to fix this asap as its been down for nearly 6 months and i've recently inherited this problem as their new webmaster, within the past 2 weeks. We have a long, long list of upset "users" and people that have had their accounts lapse.


Edit :: I just realized something... what is the source I need to use to gain access to the config.php, can I use the FTP, or is it even possible without being a super-admin?
 
Last edited:
There's three major possibilities of issues with the pay pal situation
1.Something is wrong with Paypal
Solution: call or file at ticket and see if the issue is on there end
2.SMTP on the forums is broken and the e-mail isn't being sent (can cause the entire script to fail preventing authorization)
Solution: First attempt to send an e-mail through the forum, if it's broken let me know
3. Forum itself has issues in the codeing
Solution: Verify everything is correctly set up with paypal(See my above post on paypal)
The Vbulletin config file is located at: public_html/forums/includes/config.php
Accessing the file is no different then anything else in FTP
 
Im my honest opinion, sell your vB license and get MyBB. MyBB is so much better, It's also free.

-Bole
 
Well I can't drop our license. It isn't my decision. I'm just helping get it sorted out.

Also, I gained access to an FTP and found a config file, although after editing it, nothing changed, and I still don't have access to anything user related in the control panel. (VB CP).

Where exactly should I be looking for the usergroups to change them? And can someone spell out exactly where to go for setting up the paypal, like as if you were explaining this to someone that had no idea what a computer was. I just really need to get this done NOW. I've got a LOT of pressure riding on this getting done.
 
I assure you that MyBB is alot better than vBulliten. MyBB is more of a light forum. :)

Here's a forum example of MyBB:

http://supportforums.net/
You've got to be absolutely crazy, no self-respecting forum owner will use MyBB over VBulletin. Apparently SMF is the best free one but VBulletin completely dominates the free ones 10x over. When someone has paid several hundred pounds on getting a VBulletin license you just don't say to them "Go get this free, not as good forum software, your money doesn't count". If you'd like to know how widespread VBulletin is, every forum that doesn't fail that I've heard of runs on it, even eGO runs on it. Whereas I've not even heard of MyBB before now, if you'd rather not be a complete laughing stock stay with VBulletin, actually HELP the person who posted instead of saying useless things at him.
Also there's a lot of loopholes in MyBB where people can hack it, enjoy having random people on administrator if you ever run a MyBB forum Bole.
/rant
 
You've got to be absolutely crazy, no self-respecting forum owner will use MyBB over VBulletin. Apparently SMF is the best free one but VBulletin completely dominates the free ones 10x over. When someone has paid several hundred pounds on getting a VBulletin license you just don't say to them "Go get this free, not as good forum software, your money doesn't count". If you'd like to know how widespread VBulletin is, every forum that doesn't fail that I've heard of runs on it, even eGO runs on it. Whereas I've not even heard of MyBB before now, if you'd rather not be a complete laughing stock stay with VBulletin, actually HELP the person who posted instead of saying useless things at him.
Also there's a lot of loopholes in MyBB where people can hack it, enjoy having random people on administrator if you ever run a MyBB forum Bole.
/rant

I almost choked on my water when I heard him say something about MyBB x.x

/agree with your post.
 
So I'm still having these issues. MyBB is out of the question here guys. The decision isn't even up to me.

I'm able to get into the config.php and edit it. However it only has about 40 lines in it including the comments. I added in the prune,super-admin,undeleteable, etc... These edits are showing up in the code after I save it in and check. I've logged in and out several times, and tried only adding the super-admin priviledges. It doesn't seem to be effecting anything. Is it possible i'm in a different file structure? I did a search and found the example config file, and the others for a test shopping cart and another minor feature, then the main config file that I edited.

Any advice on it?
 
UPDATE!

I got into the super-admin and made myself a super-admin. That problem is solved.

Now the problem I really need to solve is the failure of our signup process, the initial problem.

It appears the actual problem is that users are not receiving the activation email. I'm not really sure where to go with this... any ideas?
 
UPDATE!

I got into the super-admin and made myself a super-admin. That problem is solved.

Now the problem I really need to solve is the failure of our signup process, the initial problem.

It appears the actual problem is that users are not receiving the activation email. I'm not really sure where to go with this... any ideas?

Inside your vbulletin interface, try to send yourself an e-mail (go to your profile and use "send-message" Let me know if that e-mail goes through.
 
The email went through fine. It appears the only issue is with the authorization emails not going through.
 
The email went through fine. It appears the only issue is with the authorization emails not going through.

ok so we know the Issue isn't routed in your SMTP server.

What might be happening is that Paypal "Payment data transfer" isn't enabled so no auth tokens and such are being generated.

enableing PDT:
Log in to your PayPal account.
Click the Profile subtab.
Click Website Payment Preferences in the Seller Preferences column.
Under Auto Return for Website Payments, click the On radio button.
For the Return URL, enter the URL on your site that will receive the transaction ID posted by PayPal after a customer payment.
Under Payment Data Transfer, click the On radio button.
Click Save.
Click Website Payment Preferences in the Seller Preferences column.
Scroll down to the Payment Data Transfer section of the page to view your PDT identity token.





Info about PDT: https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?...t_ID=developer/howto_html_paymentdatatransfer
 
Death Keeper, thanks so much for your help! I managed to sort out the issue tonight thanks to your help. I'll be contacting you soon with a reward. I couldn't have fixed this without your help!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top