Battlefield 2 failing to launch.

[HoneyChicken]

Forum Fiend
Joined
Feb 27, 2010
Messages
704
Recently, my Battlefield 2 (Yes, not Bad Company 2) has not been running correctly. I would launch the game, the screen would go black and then it would just return to the desktop. I did not buy the game from steam, it's on disc. I have 2 discs for Battlefield 2, and the same issue occurs for both. And, if you need any more info to help me, just say. Thanks
 
I'm having the same problems with my computer as well, just with Fallout 3.
 
Was having the same problem and just quit trying lol uninstalled. The same goes for Fallout 3 i couldn't get it starting. Both of these games were through steam though.
 
Try some of these

1)
First make sure your directx is installed properly, despite having a fresh install of XP Pro SP2 with the latest version of directx 9c it seems my directx wasn't initialised properly. When I ran dxdiag (start ->run, type "dxdiag" then press enter) I got an error message saying that there was a problem with "directinput". I looked all over the Net but found nothing on the problem except for uninstalling directx and reinstalling (not recommended) however I found that this was not necessary, I found that if you opened dxdiag waited for it to load properly then pressed the "Save All Information" button towards the bottom right of the window, then the "Save" routine forced Directx to reinitialise itself (recheck all its entries). Once completed directx had found all the directinput devices and all was running smoothly again.

2)
Go to Control Panel->Sound and Audio Devices-> Audio Tab-> and click the Advanced button in the Sound Playback section.
Now click the Performance Tab.
Now Move the Audio Playback slider back one notch (so its not on full acceleration)
Click OK/YES on all forms to save the change
*** Note for all you speed freaks, don't worry we are going to set this back to full acceleration later

3)
Go to Control Panel->Display-> Settings Tab-> Advanced Button towards bottom right and then click the Troubleshooting Tab.
Now Move the Hardware Acceleration slider back one notch (so its not on full acceleration)
Click OK/YES on all forms to save the change
*** Note for all you speed freaks, don't worry we are going to set this back to full acceleration later

4) Now start the game and you should find it starts OK.

5) Enter the game and Set the Video options to the resolution you would like and save the settings

6) Restart the game to make sure you haven't set any settings that you PC/Monitor doesn't like.

7) If all OK reverse the procedure in numbers 2 and 3

8) Start the game again and you'll find the game still works.

It seems that the game doesn't start with all the default settings on FULL Acceleration on many new Graphics cards (mine is a 7950GT 512mb) Yet once the game has actually been started once it creates settings that then work with the card, even when FULL acceleration is restored.
 
I can't do 2&3, because you are obviously taking that from someone who has a different OS to me, so all I could do was 1, and that didn't change it.
 
Try updating both your sound and video drivers. Sometimes they just wreak havoc for strange reasons.
 
So what OS are you using , graphics card , how fast is your PC and how much RAM do you have ?

Type dxdiag in the run menu on the start button ( If you have XP lol ) And it will tell you.
 
Windows Vista Home Premium (I think it's 32-bit)
NVidia GeForce 9500GT
And, how to measure how fast it is? (Processor, if needed: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
2GB RAM
 

Latest posts

Back
Top