Bioshock launching problems.

Champie

Poster
Joined
Jul 5, 2009
Messages
139
I just bought BioShock today, because it was on sale for $5. After downloading it i tried launching it. The "Preparing to launch BioShock..." came up and then the BioShock logo. After a few seconds it says that bioshock.exe has stopped working. I went into my steam/steamapps/*username*/ folder and BioShock wasn't even listed! i went into the common folder and it was there. I have no idea what is going on. Should i reinstall? What?
 
That's normal for it to be in Common since it's not a Valve product. Only Valve products, like TF2 or CSS, show up in your username folder.

Can you tell us the specifications of your computer, including operating system? Would help if we knew what your CPU/Video card/Amount of RAM/OS is.

If you don't know how to check, a combination of browsing the Device manager and Computer Properties will help a lot.

Computer Properties will tell you name of CPU and amount of RAM, as well as OS. Device Manager will tell you pretty much everything else you need to know. Display adapters is where you need to look under the Device manager to find your graphics card.

If we know your OS, we can find a specific fix for that operating system + game. We can also tell if your computer is capable of handling the game. If it doesn't meet the requirements, you cannot play the game.

You can usually tell if your computer can run the game with http://www.canyourunit.com/ - however, it's not always accurate.

Here's a quick fix I found that may work, too:

Find your BioShock shortcut, right click it, click properties, and add "-dx9" to the URL.

It should look like this:
Code:
"steam://rungameid/7670" -dx9
 
Last edited:
I tried the adding -dx9 to the end of the property's URL and it didn't work. I think it is the System Requirements. I tried canyourunit.com and it sayed this

SR2.jpg


SR.jpg
 
Try this. Make sure the built in video is updated to latest driver and Direct x is up to date. Then run steam as administrator.

And add that -dx command in launch properties not the shortcut. Much like condebug or -novid or -noborder.
 
Back
Top