Alright so my buddy got a free, old Dell XPS desktop from his mom's boss. It's from 2005, and it came with Windows XP Media Edition installed on it. I uninstalled it and put Windows 7 32-bit on it, and it's working like a charm, except the sound!
Now, the computer recognizes the sound card in the BIOS, but there is no sound what so ever. The card is seated properly, I didn't notice any wires coming off it in the first place. There are 2 devices listed in the sound mixer, one being high def speakers which is disabled and not in use, and a S/PDIF digital audio connection thats enabled and in use and is apparently trying to play sound.
I gave him an extra SuprmemFX II audio card I had, seated it in the correct PCI slot, and needs drivers for windows 7 to recognize it.
I noticed that when we plug in headphones, or a microphone in the soundjacks, windows 7 doesn't ask what is being plugged into what port.
Is this a driver issue, hardware, software?!?!?!?!?!??!??!!?!?! :facewall:
Now, the computer recognizes the sound card in the BIOS, but there is no sound what so ever. The card is seated properly, I didn't notice any wires coming off it in the first place. There are 2 devices listed in the sound mixer, one being high def speakers which is disabled and not in use, and a S/PDIF digital audio connection thats enabled and in use and is apparently trying to play sound.
I gave him an extra SuprmemFX II audio card I had, seated it in the correct PCI slot, and needs drivers for windows 7 to recognize it.
I noticed that when we plug in headphones, or a microphone in the soundjacks, windows 7 doesn't ask what is being plugged into what port.
Is this a driver issue, hardware, software?!?!?!?!?!??!??!!?!?! :facewall:












