SLOW startup for Steam and computer in general

Cyclone

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Mar 16, 2008
Messages
3,769
Hey guys. I'm like a ghost around here. I need some help. Every-time I want to play with you guys, Steam takes FOREVER to load up. I have a program called Tune-Up Utilities to help make my computer faster. Still, I have no help. I'm asking you guys for guidance. I deleted programs I didn't need(well most anyway :P) and no dice. Can someone help me? Thank you VERY much!
 
Pretty much ALL programs. I think I have a virus. I get my computer scanned for viruses every 3 hours(full computer scan) using AVG 8.5.
 
You could backup your files and reinstall everything that should get rid of the viruses and it should boot your programs faster :]

but yer thats what i would do but it up to you :]

~Angelus
 
Download Malwarebytes(Free version) and then boot into safe mode(hold f8key on startup) then of course run malwarebytes. (using safe mode typically prevents the virus from running as nothing other then crucial files are started. this prevents it from doing anything malicious upon its removal.
 
Hey guys. I'm like a ghost around here. I need some help. Every-time I want to play with you guys, Steam takes FOREVER to load up. I have a program called Tune-Up Utilities to help make my computer faster. Still, I have no help. I'm asking you guys for guidance. I deleted programs I didn't need(well most anyway :P) and no dice. Can someone help me? Thank you VERY much!

Stay away from those "Tune-up" utilities! Depending where you got it from, it could be a virus. Just ask us how to clean up your computer, we're here to help you :D

Do what death keeper said, also run Spybot Search and Destroy, and your choice of Free antivirus software (AVG, Avast, etc.), in safe mode as well.

Could you give us a little info on your computer's hardware? What programs you have running at start up?

If you are experiencing boot degradation times (If you look in your event viewer, you'll notice errors or critical errors pertaining to the boot degradation).

A last resort option in my opinion would be to set a restore point, then delete the .pf files in the prefetch folder (c:\windows\prefetch). Do to so, make sure you able to view Hidden folders. It's important that you ONLY DELETE THE .pf FILES. After doing so, do a reboot. The first few reboots might take longer than normal, but it's just trying to recache the startup files.

To view hidden files, go Control Panel>>Folder Options>>View tab>>click Show hidden files, folders, drives. Apply
 
Last edited:
Two theories here:

1) Start
2) Click "Run"
3) Type in "msconfig"
4) Navigate to the "Startup" tab.
5) Take screenshots and post them in this thread.
*For Windows 7/Vista users, just type "msconfig" in the search box after clicking the Start icon.
--

1) Download Hijack This!
2) Run the .exe and click "Scan and save a system log."
3) After the scan, Notepad will open with vital information.
4) Dump all of that information into this thread.

Well Ric, what is Hijack This?
Trend Micro HijackThis is a free utility that generates an in depth report of registry and file settings from your computer. HijackThis makes no separation between safe and unsafe settings in its scan results giving you the ability to selectively remove items from your machine. In addition to this scan and remove capability HijackThis comes with several tools useful in manually removing malware from a computer.
 
Last edited:
Two theories here:

1) Start
2) Click "Run"
3) Type in "msconfig"
4) Navigate to the "Startup" tab.
5) Take screenshots and post them in this thread.
*For Windows 7/Vista users, just type "msconfig" in the search box after clicking the Start icon.
--

1) Download Hijack This!
2) Run the .exe and click "Scan and save a system log."
3) After the scan, Notepad will open with vital information.
4) Dump all of that information into this thread.

Well Ric, what is Hijack This?
Hijack This one of the best tools for reviewing what users are running without Remote Desktop Control, or actually being there.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top