Steam/computer issue, once again.

Vicki

Thread Thumper
Joined
Jul 3, 2010
Messages
1,032
The past two weeks, i've been experiencing some issues with steam.
Steam will be up and running perfectly, until suddenly, someone either messages me, or my steam just freezes. I ctrl+alt+delete, and end task the not responding program, then double click on steam and nothing happens. Steam just won't load. I've looked in the task box ( ctrl+alt+delete) and it does not show it there.

I've tried redownloading it, restarting my computer, leaving my computer off fora few hours, then see if it works again.
And it still doesn't.
Eventually, if i'm lucky, it will work again, at some point, later in the day.
The last time it did this, it took 9 hours for steam to finally work.
Once it works it will work for a few days, then have a little poop, and not work again.

Also, If I click on a game such as 'CS:S' to see if i can go through steam that way the message says "Unable to open this Internet Shortcut. The protocol "steam" does not have a registered program." It even says this when is working fine, but that message only started showing up when my steam first had his little tantrum.

Week before/Yesterdays issue^
--
Today I decided to try and completely figure out this the above issue, along with the new I have.
My steam had been saying "Updating", and then nothing happens.
Even though It had updated it never worked.
So when I got home, I completely deleted steam, once I deleted steam it had deleted all the games I had bought /was gifted.
I restarted my computer, and tried to re-downloading CS:S.
It had said "not enough space on disc".
I'm quite puzzled as to why it is saying this, I did nothing different, if anything I should have a massive amount of space.
ie: I deleted TF2, L4D2, L4D, Zombie panic source, CS:S etc.
I'm not sure what to do anymore, and i'm not sure if anything will make this any better.

On the plus side, steam finally works perfect again ? :(
 
One time I was installing Dawn of war soulstorm and it tried to install it on to a USB drive. Make sure its installing on to your C-Drive. Not sure how to do that , Can't remember what I did. I'll have a look into it for you.
 
The past two weeks, i've been experiencing some issues with steam.
Steam will be up and running perfectly, until suddenly, someone either messages me, or my steam just freezes. I ctrl+alt+delete, and end task the not responding program, then double click on steam and nothing happens. Steam just won't load. I've looked in the task box ( ctrl+alt+delete) and it does not show it there.

I've tried redownloading it, restarting my computer, leaving my computer off fora few hours, then see if it works again.
And it still doesn't.
Eventually, if i'm lucky, it will work again, at some point, later in the day.
The last time it did this, it took 9 hours for steam to finally work.
Once it works it will work for a few days, then have a little poop, and not work again.

Also, If I click on a game such as 'CS:S' to see if i can go through steam that way the message says "Unable to open this Internet Shortcut. The protocol "steam" does not have a registered program." It even says this when is working fine, but that message only started showing up when my steam first had his little tantrum.

Week before/Yesterdays issue^
--
Today I decided to try and completely figure out this the above issue, along with the new I have.
My steam had been saying "Updating", and then nothing happens.
Even though It had updated it never worked.
So when I got home, I completely deleted steam, once I deleted steam it had deleted all the games I had bought /was gifted.
I restarted my computer, and tried to re-downloading CS:S.
It had said "not enough space on disc".
I'm quite puzzled as to why it is saying this, I did nothing different, if anything I should have a massive amount of space.
ie: I deleted TF2, L4D2, L4D, Zombie panic source, CS:S etc.
I'm not sure what to do anymore, and i'm not sure if anything will make this any better.

On the plus side, steam finally works perfect again ? :(

I could have sworn I just read this post and Phobus requested you delete the Clientregistry.blob or something of that sort. Another thing is that though you may have deleted steam from your computer, there might be registry still on it. Anyhow, I would try first deleting the .blob files in your :\Program Files (x86)\Steam folder. Restart steam and see if it works.
 
Yes, it was posted before, but the thread is now closed.
And another issue in regarding deleteing all the .blob files, is there not there.
when I go to find the steam folder, it says its empty, no files what so ever.
And yes dark that is whats happening, except it says i have 3??? and i need 4????
 
You must have installed Steam somewhere else or not have removed it fully, because there HAS to be a folder there for steam to even start.

try what I posted on your Forum Profile.
 
Its there, its just empty.
I believe its because there are no games yet. :(
 
What version of Windows do you run?
 
Problem is solved.
Please come see us if you have any more problems!

p.s. tell your friends about eGO for their technical issues.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top