- Joined
- Sep 28, 2008
- Messages
- 1,610
Which storage options will be good for my needs?
I want to build a new computer for extreme gaming and also video editing.
Here are the options I was thinking of. I need to know if they are over-kill or just right and what benefits will I receive from them.
(Note): I will be using an external backup on a daily basis for all my storage configurations.
Option 1:
Either (1 or 2) 64 gb SSD's on a Raid 0 for my primary boot drive and [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]office[/COLOR][/COLOR] productivity.
(4) 128 gb SSD's on a Raid 0 as a secondary drive for my games and other utilities/[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]software[/COLOR][/COLOR].
Option 2:
(1 or 2) 64 gb SSD's on a Raid 0 as my primary boot drive.
(2) WD VelociRaptor 600 gb 6gbs 10k drives on a Raid 0.
Option 3:
(1 or 2) 64 gb SSD's on a Raid 0 as my primary boot drive.
(4) WD VelociRaptor 600 gb 6gbs 10k drives on a Raid 5.
Option 4:
(4) WD VelociRaptor 600 gb 6gbs 10k drives on a Raid 5 loaded with everything.
I will be using a seperate Raid controller card (LSI 9261-8i).
Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. It is very important to me and the storage situation is the only thing that is holding me back in my system build.
Peace.
I want to build a new computer for extreme gaming and also video editing.
Here are the options I was thinking of. I need to know if they are over-kill or just right and what benefits will I receive from them.
(Note): I will be using an external backup on a daily basis for all my storage configurations.
Option 1:
Either (1 or 2) 64 gb SSD's on a Raid 0 for my primary boot drive and [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]office[/COLOR][/COLOR] productivity.
(4) 128 gb SSD's on a Raid 0 as a secondary drive for my games and other utilities/[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]software[/COLOR][/COLOR].
Option 2:
(1 or 2) 64 gb SSD's on a Raid 0 as my primary boot drive.
(2) WD VelociRaptor 600 gb 6gbs 10k drives on a Raid 0.
Option 3:
(1 or 2) 64 gb SSD's on a Raid 0 as my primary boot drive.
(4) WD VelociRaptor 600 gb 6gbs 10k drives on a Raid 5.
Option 4:
(4) WD VelociRaptor 600 gb 6gbs 10k drives on a Raid 5 loaded with everything.
I will be using a seperate Raid controller card (LSI 9261-8i).
Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. It is very important to me and the storage situation is the only thing that is holding me back in my system build.
Peace.


















erformance ratio is exactly optimal just yet. Plus, you have to replace them more often than any other drive as they only have a limited number of writes before they crap out. By the time they come down in price enough that people can afford to switch them out a couple times a year on a 24\7 powered on PC, there will (read: SHOULD) be something faster available.


