SSD? 10k Mechanical? Which one?

*cough* sataII is 300MB/s *cough*

Orly? It's 3Gigabits, yes? Convert to megabits = 3,000. Divide by 8 to convert to megabytes. That's 375mb/s, yes?
Also, I never said RAID0 isn't a RAID array, I'm just saying it's not a true RAID array.
 
Orly? It's 3Gigabits, yes? Convert to megabits = 3,000. Divide by 8 to convert to megabytes. That's 375mb/s, yes?
Also, I never said RAID0 isn't a RAID array, I'm just saying it's not a true RAID array.

If you find a SATAII device that can do 375 on sataII, then i will concede.

Realistically it can only do 300
 
Sata 3 is moot in my eyes, seeing as SSDs aren't even at the speed limit of Sata 2 (which is ~375mb/s), so why do we need Sata 3 (~750mb/s)? Only enthusiast boards support them, and very few mainstream boards, but the mainstream boards aren't fully there yet, with perhaps two Sata 3 ports, and Sata 3 drives being fairly expensive compared to their Sata 2 brethren.

USB3 is useless as well, since nothing that is standard uses it. Imo, once mp3 players, such as iPhones and iPods start using USB3, it won't be very popular. It has the same issue with motherboard availability, and having to sacrifice PCIe lanes.

The chipsets simply aren't ready for USB3.

If I were buying a new mobo\cpu\ram etc right now (a new "platform" if you will) I would make sure the mobo included native support for both of those. I would then plug in all of my old sata 2 hardware and usb 2 accessories and forget about it until I ended up with a device that could use either.

What I don't agree with is buying a board with a chipset that is suddenly limited in some other area once you use something like one of those new features. Its great if it has native support for that stuff, but if the board has to disable SLI\Xfire all of a sudden because you just pulled out your sata2 drive and upgraded to sata3, I would have just spent less money on the highest up, previous generation board (kinda like what reflex is saying).

To the same effect, a bios update could fix it in the future.

I'm just saying, I don't like to have to upgrade the platform to make use of the peripherals and the like. I'd rather have the highest end motherboard out there and a weak cpu\ram\vga\hdd etc... and upgrade those over time than to have to buy a newer faster hdd or video card and go, crap... i have to buy everything else new or else something will be bottle-necked to the point of being as fast or slower than the part its replacing.

Here is an average priced, fairly current amd offering from ASUS, this is what I consider normal, or upper-mid for "current" tech (I know there are higher end boards and more expensive ones too) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131647
 
There is no chipset that natively supports USB3, and there are no intel chipsets that support SATAIII
 

Latest posts

Back
Top