Help me find a benching board

reflex99

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
4,044
I've already asked Ph?bus, but I'd like to see what some other people think:

I need to find a motherboard that Is cheap (preferably less than $100), yet will hold up under high overclocks (4.5GHz+)

I will be putting this board+whatever processor (probably the cheapest CPU i can find) i decide to get for it under dry ice

This board needs to be cheap because if i break it, I don't want to have to care to much.

I don't care about features like USB3 or any of that crap at all, I just care about overclocks.

Remember this board will be housing a processor that is at -70ish Celsius, so VRM cooling is not needed as coldness from the CPU next to it will keep them cool

Platform doesn't matter (but please no 775 (too old, and I don't know how to bench this) or 1366 (too expensive) )

A good warranty would be nice as well, because need for RMA is inevitable.


These are boards I already have in mind:

Intel 1156 Platform:
Gigabyte H55M-S2V (UD2H Is a known good clocker, and this uses the same PCB. so it should be good aswell)

AMD AM3:
ASRock 880GXH/USB3 (ASRock 890GXExtreme3 overclocks very well, And this one is similar )
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO


Once I build up confidence, I will move on to a better board, but for now I want to start small.

Let me know what you guys think


EDIT: I guess to make it simpler, Just find a good AM3 or 1156 board for under 100 usd
 
Last edited:
I know I can't be of any service, but I just want to know how you expect the conversation with RMA to go.

"So what's wrong with the board?"
"I put it on dry ice and tried to set the thing on fire."
"Oh, okay, we'll send you a replacement."
 
I know I can't be of any service, but I just want to know how you expect the conversation with RMA to go.

"So what's wrong with the board?"
"I put it on dry ice and tried to set the thing on fire."
"Oh, okay, we'll send you a replacement."

More like:

Me: "Hey, I think that my board is broked, I'm just a computer noob, and I cant tell what is wrong
whistle.gif
"

Them: "Ok Here is RMA ticket"

Me: "ok thanx uber leet RMA dood"


It'll work, trust me
 
First, just remember: the initial line of questioning is usually about 2-6 questions where if you answer yes, the RMA is invalid.

Clearly, knowing a little about 'puters and a little about bidness is gonna help that, alot.

Beyond this, I would think anyone touting about a high level of copper (3oz copper PCB and up) is going to make a board that is physically capable of adding to the heat dissipation of individual components.

Find a board that has that or something real similar as a feature, thats win.

Find a company who has that as a standard (or damn near), even better.

First brand that popped into my head when you said that was Gigabyte. I'm an ASUS guy, but Gigabyte is my closet love child. I'm thrilled with products from either.

MSi is my other secret love affair. I don't get where a lot of people come from with their negative reviews of MSi, but they are pretty consistently above average in quality. As cooling goes, this I know less about.

Have you considered building a mineral oil PC?
 
Mineral oil wont get me below ambient, unless i use a TEC or something, but at that point it would be more expensive than DICE.

I think that alot of people dislike MSI because they used to be pretty bad, but I own 2 of their boards now, and they are both great.
 
Mineral oil wont get me below ambient, unless i use a TEC or something, but at that point it would be more expensive than DICE.

I think that alot of people dislike MSI because they used to be pretty bad, but I own 2 of their boards now, and they are both great.

I as well have a msi mobo, the 870a-g54 am3 socket, but for $60 i got crossfire, sata 6 usb 3.0, onboard optical, plus the northbridge has a nice heatsink on it, i really wasnt expecting much, but the board lets me overclock my 955 from 3.2 to 4.0ghz, just a matter of cooling the beast at that point lol, but the board it self is actually quite capible, my 2 cents, dont count out msi anymore, they r becoming a better brand
 
I as well have a msi mobo, the 870a-g54 am3 socket, but for $60 i got crossfire, sata 6 usb 3.0, onboard optical, plus the northbridge has a nice heatsink on it, i really wasnt expecting much, but the board lets me overclock my 955 from 3.2 to 4.0ghz, just a matter of cooling the beast at that point lol, but the board it self is actually quite capible, my 2 cents, dont count out msi anymore, they r becoming a better brand

I agree that MSI is a good brand, I have a P55GD80, and it is a beast.

I'll look in to the 870-G54
 

Latest posts

Back
Top