CD-Rom not reading disks

Too_Tall

Famous
=(e)=
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
491
OK so I just recently noticed this but my computer is no longer reading disks the drive shows up in My Computer and says it is working properly but no matter what CD I put in it doesn't read it the drivers set up so I can't be updated or rolled back I assume because well its a CD-Rom drive, and the computer is only one year old(figures right after the warranty right) and no matter what I do to the drive it won't work. any ideas?
 
Also the disk spins like its reading then stops when I try double clicking the drive it spins again then stops.

Just checked with nero tools the drive is showing put and is working just not reading. looking like the disk reader hopefully not any one have another idea before I buy an external CD drive?
 
Last edited:
try this:

a. Click Start button (bottom left corner), type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or clickContinue.

b. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

There are many subkeys that look alike, make sure you have the exact correct one listed above.

c. In the right pane, right-clickUpperFilters, and then clickDelete.

d. ClickYes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

e. In the right pane, right-clickLowerFilters, and then clickDelete.

f. ClickYes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

g. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

if that doesnt fix it, im not sure what the issue is.

-Blue
 
The file you told me to delete does not exist. I searched for it on the computer and in the registry window and found nothing. Not sure if that might be the problem.
 
Prepare yourself just for the possibility that the reading function of the drive has gone Kaput!, dead. I had a DVD-RW drive that would run the disk and stop thereafterwards, because the reading function decayed or was broken. Just bought a new one for like $20 so it's not an expensive replacement.
 
Yeah I'm assuming as much I've tried everything I can think of and nothing works well 60 bucks for a external isn't too bad just sucks.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top