Due an upgrade

Tension

Thread Junky
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
768
Long overdue, actually. Haven't upgraded my computer for ages so I'm wondering anyone might wanna recommend me some stuff.

Current rig;

Intel 2 Core Duo E7400 @ 2.80ghz
ATI Radeon HD 4850
ASUS P5KPL-AM mobo
4GB DDR2 399mhz ram

Got a budget of about ?400 ($650ish?). What should be my priorities, considering I'm mostly gaming? I'm thinking of going nVidia on my next GPU, but I'm not really clued up on this stuff.

Thanks!
 
You could get either a Core 2 Quad and a GTX 400 series, or save up a little more (closer to $1000USD, not sure how many euros that is) to do a whole build.
 
Ok considering that some of what you said was a lil exaggerated (Core 2 Duo is not ages ago, but Pent 4 is), I would suggest that you keep your cpu & just upgrade the video card. I have a C2D myself but I have a 9800gt. The 1st thing ill be upgrading will be my video card, so I would suggest that to start off w/. I really agree w/ the GTX 400 series (esp the 460 cards). Ive heard alot of great things about them.
 
Try and keep in mind compatibility with your motherboard when you buy new parts. You on't want to buy a CPU socket that your board doesn't support, but that's the obvious one. Your RAM speeds (not the actual memory) have to be supported by your board or higher. So if you're thinking about buying a modern board for a new CPU, you're probably also going to have upgrade your RAM.

But that's just a warning if you don't just buy a CPU and GPU like Phobus suggested.
 
The compatibility stuff worries me, I can be a bit slow on what I'm looking out for. I'll definitely go with something from the GTX 400 series GPU wise, probably a 460. No idea what to go for on the CPU side of things though
 
From the looks of it, he could prob just keep the 4850 and do a core upgrade (CPU, Mobo, RAM) and be good to go. That can be done easily with a $650-ish budget.

Honestly I don't see why everyone's saying to upgrade the GPU. That looks like his most recent purchase out of all those parts and it should be fine for another 1-2 years easy.

*edit* Ok, after re-reading he did mention he was thinking of going NVIDIA, but even so the GPU should be the lowest of his priorities in upgrading. By saving his current 4850 just allows him to further allocate more funds toward better core parts that need more attention.

@Phobus: I think this might be his mobo. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131350


*yet another edit so that I do not double post* Check this combo out, tho the feedback on the mobo worries me a little. Stick your 4850 in there and flourish for around the budget you had mentioned.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.514089
 
Last edited:
It like a step below the GTX260 and my 260 still blows the games I play away by far...It's nowhere near slow enough that he requires an immediate upgrade.

Still feel it's his lowest priority to replace out of his current setup. Just my opinion tho.
 
From the looks of it, he could prob just keep the 4850 and do a core upgrade (CPU, Mobo, RAM) and be good to go. That can be done easily with a $650-ish budget.

Honestly I don't see why everyone's saying to upgrade the GPU. That looks like his most recent purchase out of all those parts and it should be fine for another 1-2 years easy.

*edit* Ok, after re-reading he did mention he was thinking of going NVIDIA, but even so the GPU should be the lowest of his priorities in upgrading. By saving his current 4850 just allows him to further allocate more funds toward better core parts that need more attention.

@Phobus: I think this might be his mobo. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131350


*yet another edit so that I do not double post* Check this combo out, tho the feedback on the mobo worries me a little. Stick your 4850 in there and flourish for around the budget you had mentioned.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.514089

While I thought of that, a 4850 is pretty weak. Now, if it was a 4860+ (DDR5), then it would be a consideration. But the 4850 is pretty old now, and not so great for higher than 1280x1024 resolutions. 4850 is like half of a 5850, so like 55-60% of a 6850.

TL;DR It's just not a good card for what else is out.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top