Overclocking

SwAmP

Active Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2010
Messages
262
Ok so this is my noob question, anyone know a good website to read about how to o/c my cpu?

Gigabyte-GA-MA785GM-US2H (mobo)
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.8
I would like to try and get it to 3.2GHz if possible...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Your CPU is not a black edition that means your core multiplier is locked, but still, you can overclock it using the long way. There is not a step by step guide on how to overclock since there are thousand of different possible ways.
I would recommend visiting this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-29.html

I know you maybe already know what im about to say but I need to tell just to be sure: You need to buy an aftermarket cooler if you want to overclock, although AMD CPUs use low power to operate theres always a risk of overheating.

Pd. I did a mild overclock with an AMD Athlon 2 x3
 
Your CPU is not a black edition that means your core multiplier is locked, but still, you can overclock it using the long way. There is not a step by step guide on how to overclock since there are thousand of different possible ways.
I would recommend visiting this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-29.html

I know you maybe already know what im about to say but I need to tell just to be sure: You need to buy an aftermarket cooler if you want to overclock, although AMD CPUs use low power to operate theres always a risk of overheating.

Pd. I did a mild overclock with an AMD Athlon 2 x3

Awesome! Thanks for the link. Ya i wasnt sure if i needed abetter fan for the cpu or not so you answered two questions in one lol thanks alot!!!
 
You could slowly edge your way up there, or you could just jump straight to it, then try and get stable.
I'd do the second. It's much quicker.
To get to 3.2ghz, you need to adjust the reference clock.

229mhz reference clock
14x cpu multiplier
10x nb multiplier
9x HTT multiplier
one step down from stock multi on memory, or two, and tighten the timings. AMD benefits more from tighter timings than higher frequencies.

leave the CPU vcore at stock
raise the NB vcore one or two notches
leave CPU-NBVID at 1.35v always
leave the HT voltage alone
if you have the memory running on stock, then leave the voltage alone. If you've tightened the timings, then raise it a couple of notches.

Test for stability.
 
You could slowly edge your way up there, or you could just jump straight to it, then try and get stable.
I'd do the second. It's much quicker.
To get to 3.2ghz, you need to adjust the reference clock.

229mhz reference clock
14x cpu multiplier
10x nb multiplier
9x HTT multiplier
one step down from stock multi on memory, or two, and tighten the timings. AMD benefits more from tighter timings than higher frequencies.

leave the CPU vcore at stock
raise the NB vcore one or two notches
leave CPU-NBVID at 1.35v always
leave the HT voltage alone
if you have the memory running on stock, then leave the voltage alone. If you've tightened the timings, then raise it a couple of notches.

Test for stability.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1500013
 
Last edited:
Reflex guide to OC:

1. set reference clock to 350
2. set vcore to 2.0v.
3. attempt to boot
4. run super pi
5. hope not to crash
6. if 5 is passed, get CPUz validation and HWbot screenshot
7.???
8.profit

Or if you don't want to fry your CPU, you can do what the others suggested
 
well i tried it both ways and i cant get it stable. I will just have to stop being cheap and get a better cpu lol, thanks alot for the help it was worth a try!!! Thinking since I have to upgrade that why not go with a 6core and a new mobo. LOL I appreciate the help guys!
 
If you can?t get the CPU stable try increasing the voltage up to 1.5v and The North bridge ( NBV ) just below recommended settings. Set your FSB frequency to 228Mhz. Run prime95 to identify the problem if the memory is unstable force it to match the frequency of your FSB. Here is a link that can help explain the basics on overclocking. http://www.overclockersclub.com/pages/overclock_faq/

"How can a system be stabilized after overclocking it?

If the system becomes unstable after increasing the FSB and/or Multiplier, there are two options:

Lower the FSB/Multiplier slightly till it becomes stable
Increase the Core Voltage (aka vCore) of the CPU
Increasing the vCore of a CPU may help stabilize the system by providing the CPU with an extra boost of current. This increase to the vCore has one nasty side affect: increased heat. The increase of heat is explained as Joule's Law, which I'm not going to cover....." From Overclokers club
 

Latest posts

Back
Top