USB Problem

Fearless888

Active Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
408
I have just gotten my computer back from being repaired for a bad graphics card. My computer starts up fine, but the USB ports seem to not be working. My usb mouse and keyboard lit up like they were working properly, but then they turn off once my comp gets loaded up (so I can't click on my username to get to the desktop screen). Anyone know what this might be/ how to fix it?
Thanks.
 
In XP, click Start, then Run, and enter the Devmgmt.msc command in the Run box. That should load the Device Manager console directly, without navigating through several menus. In Vista/Windows 7, click Start and type "device manager" into the Search box. A link to Device Manager should appear in the search results and you can click it to open Device Manager.
Locate your USB ports in the tree of active devices. Click on each USB port entry to open its Properties window. You should see "this device is working properly" in that window. If you don't, try the following:
Trouble with a USB port is often in its software driver. The active copy of the driver may become corrupted or get deleted somehow. If you have recently upgraded to a newer version of Windows, the old driver may not have been replaced with one that works with the new version of Windows. Click on Update Driver to fetch the latest driver that is compatible with your operating system.
If Windows can't find an appropriate USB driver for a device it will ask if you want to insert a disk containing the driver. Do so if you have one, or go download the right driver from the support website of your computer's manufacturer. A quick Google search will usually help you find the driver.

I got this off a website. Hope it helps mate!
 
I can't get to the desktop though. My mouse/keyboard don't work except on initial startup. By the time I get to the screen where I need to click on the login button the mouse and keyboard have stopped working. When I look on the internet the two most relative solutions that I can see are to either enable USB in the BIOS, or update the drivers like you said. How do I get to that BIOS thing so I can see if USB is enabled?

Thanks again.
 
Update: I have gotten into the BIOS and it does not appear that the USB problems stem from anything in the BIOS. Unfortunately I have no way of doing anything else because the keyboard and mouse stop functioning before I can click on the login button. I guess I will have to call tech support even though they finally just gave me my computer back after two months for a simple graphics card exchange. Grrrrr.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top