New M11x

i dont understand the point of this thread..........did u just get an M11x and seeing if anyone has questions about it for you to answer?
 
Do you have pictures?

Benchmarks?

review?

Thoughts about it?

Specs?
 
1st off fireskull, make sure that you start ur threads w/ easier 2 understand statements. Just saying 1 word & making us having to guess what your intention is about will confuse us greatly. You need to put more info in if ur gonna try to get our attention.

2nd off, I did watch a video about that laptop via Cnet. Overall, im a lil iffy on the laptop. 1 of the major drawbacks about the laptop is that it doesnt have an optical drive. After all there are still some games that arent on Steam. Also there is some software out there that isnt directly downloadable, so because of this, you better have a flash drive available (major drawback) so that you can install w/e the software is to install onto the laptop.

Another thing when it comes to Dell is that they dont always have the best gaming laptops. When they do, they tend to be overpriced & that video is another great example of how there are better deals to be had. I have been wanting to get myself a gaming laptop for quite some time now. I must say that the price is 1 of the biggest factors (as is for alot of people). However, the setup of the laptop is another big factor. You should get something that will fit your needs for what you're going to do w/ it.

Overall, I hope that you're happy w/ your laptop.
 
1st off fireskull, make sure that you start ur threads w/ easier 2 understand statements. Just saying 1 word & making us having to guess what your intention is about will confuse us greatly. You need to put more info in if ur gonna try to get our attention.

2nd off, I did watch a video about that laptop via Cnet. Overall, im a lil iffy on the laptop. 1 of the major drawbacks about the laptop is that it doesnt have an optical drive. After all there are still some games that arent on Steam. Also there is some software out there that isnt directly downloadable, so because of this, you better have a flash drive available (major drawback) so that you can install w/e the software is to install onto the laptop.

Another thing when it comes to Dell is that they dont always have the best gaming laptops. When they do, they tend to be overpriced & that video is another great example of how there are better deals to be had. I have been wanting to get myself a gaming laptop for quite some time now. I must say that the price is 1 of the biggest factors (as is for alot of people). However, the setup of the laptop is another big factor. You should get something that will fit your needs for what you're going to do w/ it.

Overall, I hope that you're happy w/ your laptop.

You can pick up an external dvd drive for like $30-40 on newegg or something =/ but i don't use it much except for installing some games anyway so i wouldn't say its a huge factor. The M11x isn't that pricey also considering the gaming performance it gives. Since the main factor is the GPU anyway and none of the CPU's bottleneck it or give any substantial increase/decrease in FPS. The i5 and i7 just give better general PC performance. For around $700 the m11x is quite an attractable choice for gaming.

But if you are into price/performance. I would recommend the Asus G53 and G57. They both come with i7 740 quad cores, 6gb DDR3 and 1.5gb GTX 460m GPU for a pretty low price considering the hardware. Cheapest G53 is $1,299 on amazon and you can pickup a G73 for like $1,450 on amazon about.
 
Do you have pictures?

Benchmarks?

review?

Thoughts about it?

Specs?

1. No, and I doubt I will go through the hassle of uploading them. It looks the same as it does on promotions, and I got the black version. It looks awesome. :)

2. Not familiar with the term, sorry. :(

3. Up on my site after I get more of an impression off of it, but none now.

4. Very nice computer, light & portable, adjustable lights are a very cool feature. Plays most games very well and I haven't really had a problem with it at all yet. Biggest downside is that it lacks a cd drive, but - the price you pay for portability...:/

5. 4g RAM and an i5 Processor, the rest is standard.
 
ya imo ill gladly pay $800+ for the optical drive to be included w/ the laptop. also ya for $700 thats a pretty good deal, but i figured for $700 you wouldnt have a few items.
 
Well maybe for the next m11x they'll include an optical drive considering it's a fairly chubby laptop and not thin. But you can't go wrong with the gaming performance it gives so i wouldn't care if it didn't have an optical drive. As i said, optical drive is only like $30 and they are nice looking too.

M11x is a one of a kind right now in its category.
 
1. No, and I doubt I will go through the hassle of uploading them. It looks the same as it does on promotions, and I got the black version. It looks awesome. :)

2. Not familiar with the term, sorry. :(

3. Up on my site after I get more of an impression off of it, but none now.

4. Very nice computer, light & portable, adjustable lights are a very cool feature. Plays most games very well and I haven't really had a problem with it at all yet. Biggest downside is that it lacks a cd drive, but - the price you pay for portability...:/

5. 4g RAM and an i5 Processor, the rest is standard.

2. A program that gauges the perfomance of the PC. I.e., how well it performs in games and other tasks.
 
Okay. So the point of this thread was to answer questions about the Alienware MX11 laptop, when you don't have any benchmarks or a solid opinion about it at all...

Here's an old review about the laptop back in March 2010.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3620/alienware-m11x-worlds-smallest-gaming-laptop

And it would be advisable to put more information in the original post before making a thread that people have to guess its purpose for, as pillar mentioned already.
 
Okay. So the point of this thread was to answer questions about the Alienware MX11 laptop, when you don't have any benchmarks or a solid opinion about it at all...

Here's an old review about the laptop back in March 2010.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3620/alienware-m11x-worlds-smallest-gaming-laptop

And it would be advisable to put more information in the original post before making a thread that people have to guess its purpose for, as pillar mentioned already.

I'm sorry that it wasn't clear. I thought that the meaning was obvious, and I have since clarified it to be, I hope, more clear.

I don't have any problem answering questions about specific things. I gave my opinion, and I'm sorry if it is not a "Full Review". I just thought that anyone with questions about specific things about it might want to get the answer directly from someone who has it, and doesn't have any particular bias about it. You seem to be being a bit harsh, when all I'm doing is seeing if I can be a bit helpful to someone.
 
From what I've seen/heard the mx11 is the BEST when it comes to mobile computing.

By mobile computing, I mean just that, the ability to not have to 'lug' your computer around. It has an option to change your video card from a discrete video card (for gaming) or an onboard video card (for battery life).

The small size allows you to carry it around, while still playing games. It did show up surprisingly well on benchmarks for a computer of its size.

You may not get an optical drive, but those are VERY cheap, and MOST games don't need them tbh.

All in all, if you want a computer that you can use as a true 'mobile' computer, and a gaming computer at the same time - this is the only one to get.
 
From what I've seen/heard the mx11 is the BEST when it comes to mobile computing.

By mobile computing, I mean just that, the ability to not have to 'lug' your computer around. It has an option to change your video card from a discrete video card (for gaming) or an onboard video card (for battery life).

The small size allows you to carry it around, while still playing games. It did show up surprisingly well on benchmarks for a computer of its size.

You may not get an optical drive, but those are VERY cheap, and MOST games don't need them tbh.

All in all, if you want a computer that you can use as a true 'mobile' computer, and a gaming computer at the same time - this is the only one to get.

All true, although I still haven't figured out how to change the graphics card >.>
 
I believe that it does it automatically

If it's Optimus, nVidia made their mobile GPU's to automatically toggle between having the card running or back to onboard graphics, whereas with AMD's cards, I believe you have to manually switch them on/off.
 
M11x has optimus


reflex doesn't really like optimus because he is a control freak.
 
If it's Optimus, nVidia made their mobile GPU's to automatically toggle between having the card running or back to onboard graphics, whereas with AMD's cards, I believe you have to manually switch them on/off.

I can verify that the AMD mobile cards do need to be toggled manually - which I like :)

I can switch it via software (alt-click on an icon in my notification area and click ATI) OR my laptop has a manual switch on the front - slide it once and it switches.

The switch is fairly instantaneous, and I've never given it a second thought.

So, I'll ask - what is it like to switch GPU with Nvidia Optimus?
 
From the reviews I've read, it's the same as AMD, but the PC does it on its own. You jump into a game, you'll see an icon or message on the screen telling you the video card has been engaged. When you close it, you'll see that it has been disengaged. nVidia just took switchable graphics one step further than AMD did.
 
From the reviews I've read, it's the same as AMD, but the PC does it on its own. You jump into a game, you'll see an icon or message on the screen telling you the video card has been engaged. When you close it, you'll see that it has been disengaged. nVidia just took switchable graphics one step further than AMD did.

It's not that they took it further, Its just a work around.

Since the GPU is integrated into the CPU, to use a dedicated GPU, you either need to disable the IGP, or just not have a dedicated GPU.


So what they did, is have the nVidia GPU feed its video through the intel IGP, so that they can still switch.

Since AMD has the IGP on the chipset, this is not an issue.


The nvidia solution is more glitchy as you can imagine.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top