New cpu- help with info about heatsink and fan

iPwntUrMum

Famous
Joined
Jun 3, 2010
Messages
563
Hey all. I'm hoping to upgrade my cpu relatively soon, to the Intel (yeah i know, sigh) Q8300, and currently i have a pentium d (LAWL) e5200.

I already have an hsf on my cpu, so what do I need to do when I get this new Q8300? Will it come with an hsf of its own, and if not, can I use my current heatsink?

Thanks for your quick replies all.
-Pwnt
 
If you buy the CPU in OEM packaging you'll get an hsf that already has thermal paste applied to the bottom. AKA This right here (Under the 'Details' tab it should say "Heatsink and Fan included").
 
Last edited:
That's the exact cpu and site I was looking at :) Alright, thanks wmd. I'll probably want to apply my own thermal paste, right?
 
That's the exact cpu and site I was looking at :) Alright, thanks wmd. I'll probably want to apply my own thermal paste, right?

Yeah you could probably grab a tube of AS5 but make sure to get something to pull the Intel crap thermal paste of the hsf.

eg.

Arctic Silver ACN-60ML Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier

+

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

= Win.

Please make SURE that you you get to NewEgg Via THIS LINK so eGO can get some of the proceeds (It does cost us $30,000 a year to keep this place running!). Or just click the "eGO Mall" button and then on the NewEgg Logo before you make the purchase.
 
Last edited:
Yeah you could probably grab a tube of AS5 but make sure to get something to pull the Intel crap thermal paste of the hsf.

eg.

Arctic Silver ACN-60ML Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier

+

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

= Win.

Please make SURE that you you get to NewEgg Via THIS LINK so eGO can get some of the proceeds (It does cost us $30,000 a year to keep this place running!). Or just click the "eGO Mall" button and then on the NewEgg Logo before you make the purchase.

That thermalpaste remover stuff isnt worth it. Just use some 99% isopropyl alchohol to remove it. Works just as well, and is cheaper.

For thermal paste, AS5 is ok, but not great.

MX-2 is much better:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186020&cm_re=MX-2-_-35-186-020-_-Product

or if you really want to splurge, MX-4 is the best:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038
 

Latest posts

Back
Top