- Joined
- Jun 21, 2008
- Messages
- 6,201
bonus points for anyone who knows what might be wrong here.
I was talking with people on ventrilo and listening to music when BAM, computer begins shutdown sequence. Thats fine, automatic update might have attacked. Unfortunately this was not the case. My computer shuts down. Then starts back up. Then shuts back down. then starts back up, in an infinite loop. The only way for me to get it to stop is by pulling the plug.
There was no power surge of any sort and the energy cycles are normal, so no electricity damage to my components that I can see. I tried unplugging the power cord and letting the power completely drain from my machine for a good couple minutes. No luck. I tried plugging it into a different outlet, no luck. I even tried resetting CMOS and taking the CMOS battery out of the damn board to manually reset. No luck.
After reseating RAM, GPU, Audio, and reattaching motherboard power cables, still no luck. As a last resort, hoping that the PSU was not to blame for the shenanigans, I decided to unplug my entire front panel IO connector. My computer started up fine. I turned it off, plugged the IO panel back in to make sure it wasnt just a bad connection, and I was stuck in the stupid reboot loop again. The weird part is, whenever I turn my PSU switch on, I don't have to initiate the startup in any way. I don't press any buttons or anything, the computer just tries to startup and enters this stupid loop garbage by itself. So fortunately my motherboard has a big manual start button on it incase my front panel doesnt work and I have been using that button to start my computer up.
My question to you guys is, I have found the problem, but do not know the exact cause or fix. Does anyone here have any theory as to what might be going on? Perhaps a poor grounding job?
oh and P.S. my computer clock reset itself to January 2002.....derp
-Blue
I was talking with people on ventrilo and listening to music when BAM, computer begins shutdown sequence. Thats fine, automatic update might have attacked. Unfortunately this was not the case. My computer shuts down. Then starts back up. Then shuts back down. then starts back up, in an infinite loop. The only way for me to get it to stop is by pulling the plug.
There was no power surge of any sort and the energy cycles are normal, so no electricity damage to my components that I can see. I tried unplugging the power cord and letting the power completely drain from my machine for a good couple minutes. No luck. I tried plugging it into a different outlet, no luck. I even tried resetting CMOS and taking the CMOS battery out of the damn board to manually reset. No luck.
After reseating RAM, GPU, Audio, and reattaching motherboard power cables, still no luck. As a last resort, hoping that the PSU was not to blame for the shenanigans, I decided to unplug my entire front panel IO connector. My computer started up fine. I turned it off, plugged the IO panel back in to make sure it wasnt just a bad connection, and I was stuck in the stupid reboot loop again. The weird part is, whenever I turn my PSU switch on, I don't have to initiate the startup in any way. I don't press any buttons or anything, the computer just tries to startup and enters this stupid loop garbage by itself. So fortunately my motherboard has a big manual start button on it incase my front panel doesnt work and I have been using that button to start my computer up.
My question to you guys is, I have found the problem, but do not know the exact cause or fix. Does anyone here have any theory as to what might be going on? Perhaps a poor grounding job?
oh and P.S. my computer clock reset itself to January 2002.....derp
-Blue
Last edited:











