Small issue regarding name on ego css server..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sativa

I made one post
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
2
*note* If this is in the wrong section you can move it. I could not find any sub forum sections on server complaint(s)/issue(s)

Hello ego players, you may not recognize the name I used for this account. I have been playing on your server for a several months now every week..I have to say it is a great server, has a good environment, & the admins keep it clean and fun. Now with that being said, I'd like to move onto my small issue regarding the current name I was using on Steam at that moment in game. The name I had displayed was " |AcA| Kush ". Note that I've been a player for several months and I haven't had any issue, until today.

A few minutes into joining your server, get into a few rounds, I was kicked.. for "inappropriate usage of name". I thought to myself, well..doesn't make too much sense..so I rejoined and politely asked why I was kicked. The current admin "on duty" said my name refers to "Something". I replied to the admin, "It's a plant", other server admins *Chimed in and told me to "Stop arguing" and to "Just change it". I then asked again, "Why is it inappropriate?". The admins said "It refers to the other meaning"................................. :lol:

Ego, I assure you the current display name I was using was simply just a reference to a subset of strains from Cannabis (The Plant). The name "Kush" wasn't being used in a way to show negative vibes and have negative effects on people playing.

I did end up changing my name, which I had no problem with at the time because I did not want to be kicked..but, I did start to wonder why was I being punished, or ..warned..for having that sort of name?

Thank you ~
 
Kush is a drug reference and those are not allowed. eGO like to stay withing the boundaries of social norms since we want everyone to be welcomed. The problem is not the name itself, i think that would fly be it not for all the discussion and other behavior related to drugs that it attracts and initiates.

Someone will say that they like the name or what do you smoke, or i am going to smoke some now, or i just smoked some, etc, or they will have a spray with a pot leaf, and so on.

And always follow what the admin says in the server, no matter what it is. All things can be remedied on the forums, but questioning an admin's authority on the server is questioning all admins authority and that is severely frowned upon since we need that to keep order.
 
I realize it is a drug reference in Americas society, as well as a few others. But simply, others (many people) view it..the way it is.. It's existed for thousands of years, many cultures live off it's very existence. I do not view it as a drug but as a remedy. I understand your points though Frank Booth, it's all in the matter of Order. This isn't frustrating to me at all, It's just puzzling..is all.

Edit: just wanted to see other ego admins/players thoughts and views on this topic. I will proceed to use a name that isn't referenced to the word "Drug"
 
Last edited:
I think it's a little harsh. You'll have to start banning people with names like Speed and Green.

Completely understand to be fair, but I didn't know the meaning of that word, so it made me chuckle a little.
 
Last edited:
This isn't frustrating to me at all, It's just puzzling..is all.

Well, you have to put yourself in the mindset of a parent who lets their 12 year old play on the servers. Do they want their kids to learn about Kush and smoking pot? Probably not. eGO has its business model and we provide a service, and not having those references is part of the way we do things. eGO is not taking any sides on the issue of drugs, we only want everyone to be welcomed. Our rule is just that, trying to keep the servers about gaming only and have the servers be a neutral environment for everyone.


I understand expressing yourself and who you are, and we are all for that. But that cannot have a detrimental effect on other people who are exposed to that. Society may change eventually and accept pot as a legal activity, and when that happens eGO may adapt to those changes. But as of now in the US that is not something sanctioned socially and legally, and since we want to have everyone of all ages and all backgrounds play on our servers some things need to give, and that is one of them.

I hope that clarifies it for you.

I think it's a little harsh. You'll have to start banning people with names like Speed and Green.

That is not true. Those things have different meanings, and we side with the player as long as ambiguity is maintained. Kush is immediately understood as a drug reference. Like people with 420 are allowed on the server. But when they have a pot leaf spray then there is no ambiguity on their name.

I think i covered this issue to some extent. If no one has anything else to say lets leave it at that.
 
Last edited:
This should be left up to The Leadership, the best place for this post is the Drop Box,
We should not be posting our opinions on this matter...
Please Lock
 
Kush is many things besides a drug referrence, unless combined with something else many would not know this to be a drug. But it is up to leadership and this probably was the best place to post
 
That is not true. Those things have different meanings, and we side with the player as long as ambiguity is maintained. Kush is immediately understood as a drug reference. Like people with 420 are allowed on the server. But when they have a pot leaf spray then there is no ambiguity on their name.

I think i covered this issue to some extent. If no one has anything else to say lets leave it at that.

Actually Kush alone has different meanings as well. One of them being an ancient African nation with no ties to drug references what so ever.
 
Actually Kush alone has different meanings as well. One of them being an ancient African nation with no ties to drug references what so ever.

Yea, i did a google search. I did not know that. But if you ask 100 people on our servers what it is, what will they answer in what percentage?
 
Last edited:
First result on google images, and 4th on web search references the drug definition.
 
My two cents.

Kush alone isn't enough to be brought up with admins, unless people are talking about your name in the drug term.
Now if your name had been "Smok3420|Kush" then I definatly would have had you change it.
 
Also considering there is a guy with the name 'wanker', who has apparently been cleared, this seems pretty mild and I'd be extremely surprised if it offended anyone any more than a term like 'wanker'.
 
Also considering there is a guy with the name 'wanker', who has apparently been cleared, this seems pretty mild and I'd be extremely surprised if it offended anyone any more than a term like 'wanker'.

Some names like that are self referential and we don't admin. Only when they refer to other player we admin them.
 
Hmm...this is a puzzling pickle...BUT i stand by the leadership and would just have to say, listen to what they say, if you REALLY think that you were just being targeted becuase one of the admins was "abusing their power." You can message one of the leadership like Ill Legend for example.
 
Well. In my experiences with this name, I have viewed it as a drug reference, and have acted on the name. I understand what you mean by referring it to the plant, and I accept that also. BUT! We have had people in the past use this name and have meant the drug. So, we enforce this name just as we would enforce a name with general profanity in it.

Thank you for understanding. :)
 
I'd just change the name or use a different synonim, considering you are not trying to refer a drug.

Everything in the end is a matter of perspective.
 
Any drug reference name is not allowed in eGO, even if you are using as other meaning, it will not be allowed. Other people can understand as drug.
And if you think its not really fair, dropbox would be the correct place to discuss/talk to leadership

And as know in Code of Conduct number 13, "Admins have final say in server."
So when they tell you to change it and you deny it, admins have right to kick you from the server.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top