Vertex 2 60gb SSD worth it?

1. You put essential programs on the SSD, and everything else on a traditional HDD. That 250% capacity is negated by the responsiveness of the OS. Try it. You'll be amazed.
2. In a quiet case, you can hear a Velociraptor. The SSD is silent. First hand experience.
3. That SSD uses 2 watts at load.
4. Hard Drives have moving parts. Eventually that motor will go out, and it might take the platters with it. The SSD has no moving parts and is far more durable (If you drop an SSD, it's no big deal.) Therefore, the SSD is more reliable.

SSD > Velociraptor

^This, all of it.

SSDs rule the day, 10k HDDs are okay when they work but with that extra speed comes lower reliability, having experienced a dead Velociraptor 1st hand after only a year of use I'll never go back.
 
1. You put essential programs on the SSD, and everything else on a traditional HDD. That 250% capacity is negated by the responsiveness of the OS. Try it. You'll be amazed.
2. In a quiet case, you can hear a Velociraptor. The SSD is silent. First hand experience.
3. That SSD uses 2 watts at load.
4. Hard Drives have moving parts. Eventually that motor will go out, and it might take the platters with it. The SSD has no moving parts and is far more durable (If you drop an SSD, it's no big deal.) Therefore, the SSD is more reliable.

SSD > Velociraptor

1. the change in responsiveness on average is 37% for random reads and less than 5% for random writes. this equates into several ms in the first case and about .25 ms in the second. For a modern gaming system, that difference is not important in my mind. for example, an ssd might boot up and down a decent rig up to 5 seconds faster than a 10000rpm drive. If you are in need of those precious seconds...lol

2. can't argue with that. youre absolutely right. but most likely your cpu/gpu and case fans will leave the 25 and 35 db's your hdd makes during idle and seeking, respectively, unheard.

3. youre arguing that 3 watts on a desktop machine makes a difference. like I said, unless dealing with laptops, the difference here is irrelevant.

4. alright so the moving parts cause more reliability issues than an ssd. thats fine I can buy that. But when was the last time you heard of an enterprise drive like a velociraptor failing? I have never heard of that to be honest. Granted, ive never heard of a decent ssd failing either. And in what situation would you run the risk of dropping an internal harddrive? if you drop your hard drive installing it....well thats just stupid. If you drop your computer case full of hardware, the hard drive would be the least of your worries.

-Blue
 
Well, i don't really need a ton of space. I have a 250gb 7200rpm seagate that will be fine for the occasional music, videos, and games. Yes the main purpose of the SSD is to put my OS on it, a few games and some programs. I barely use up my 250gb hahaha cuz i delete all my movies after i watch em. I only have used like 100gb lmfao.

We'll see, i don't really game that much anymore :( im trying to just move to a laptop. Anyone wants to buy my setup, feel free to give me an offer lol. As of now, its on craigslist just to see what offers/trades it can get.

Only thing i touch is CS:S still lol, and xbox 360 for playing wit friends.

ok, fair enough. a small ssd might be a better option for you then.

^This, all of it.

SSDs rule the day, 10k HDDs are okay when they work but with that extra speed comes lower reliability, having experienced a dead Velociraptor 1st hand after only a year of use I'll never go back.

all velociraptors come with a 5 year warrantee. I am guessing you don't routinely ghost your hard drives?

-Blue
 
lol@suggestion of raptor.

<1ms seek times on SSD vs 15ish ms on raptop :rolleyes:

not to mention 2x the read/write speeds
 
lol@suggestion of raptor.

<1ms seek times on SSD vs 15ish ms on raptop :rolleyes:

not to mention 2x the read/write speeds

raptors usually have about a 3-5ms response time. That's still nothing compared to the virtually instantaneous 0.1ms response time of SSD's.

Also, SSD's are intelligent. They automatically clean up their data pool when not in use and optimize their performance without any user input. How many Hard Drives do you know of that do that?
 
Last edited:
lolz.......not that i don't like the Velociraptor. It's great for storing games and everything. But it just can't compete with SSD.

If i could, i would have RAID velociraptor's for storing games and stuff, and just have the SSD for boot and certain games/programs. Thats prob the best you can ask for. Other than just straight up 1TB SSD

Anyways, wanna let me get that M17x blue lol :biggrin:
 
Blue, I have to ask,
have you ever used an SSD yourself, on your own system?
 
Blue, I have to ask,
have you ever used an SSD yourself, on your own system?

not on my own system, no. my two 300gb raptors in raid0 are plenty fast for me, but I have used them. my college's digital arts lab has a couple machines running ssd's.

-Blue
 
Last edited:
not on my own system, no. my two 300gb raptors in raid0 are plenty fast for me, but I have used them. my college's digital arts lab has a couple machines running ssd's.

-Blue

own an SSD, then you can talk smack about them.


my SSD and I sleep together <3
 
Okay, just bought the SSD for $100 brand new. Should come friday yay!

Can't wait for the crazy speeds now lol
 
personally I would get this instead

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...296&cm_re=velociraptor-_-22-136-296-_-Product

what can u do with a 60gb drive these days? install an operating system, a tenth of your games, and half your music collection (unless you use FLAC) lol

-Blue

1. Yes they are slower, but for the same amount of cash you get 250% more capacity at slightly slower speeds.
2. I cant hear my velociraptor at all, basic case soundproofing does wonders.
3. more power? the velociraptor pulls a maximum of 5.5 watts. thats nothing. The only instance where it would matter is battery life in laptops.
4. less reliable how? ssd's have a shorter lifespan than a velociraptor.

-Blue

1. the change in responsiveness on average is 37% for random reads and less than 5% for random writes. this equates into several ms in the first case and about .25 ms in the second. For a modern gaming system, that difference is not important in my mind. for example, an ssd might boot up and down a decent rig up to 5 seconds faster than a 10000rpm drive. If you are in need of those precious seconds...lol

2. can't argue with that. youre absolutely right. but most likely your cpu/gpu and case fans will leave the 25 and 35 db's your hdd makes during idle and seeking, respectively, unheard.

3. youre arguing that 3 watts on a desktop machine makes a difference. like I said, unless dealing with laptops, the difference here is irrelevant.

4. alright so the moving parts cause more reliability issues than an ssd. thats fine I can buy that. But when was the last time you heard of an enterprise drive like a velociraptor failing? I have never heard of that to be honest. Granted, ive never heard of a decent ssd failing either. And in what situation would you run the risk of dropping an internal harddrive? if you drop your hard drive installing it....well thats just stupid. If you drop your computer case full of hardware, the hard drive would be the least of your worries.

-Blue

:rolleyes:

care to show me where i talked smack about them?

-Blue
 
only negative thing i said about ssd's was they have a shorter life span than enterprise drives. I would hardly consider that smack talk.

-Blue
 
only negative thing i said about ssd's was they have a shorter life span than enterprise drives. I would hardly consider that smack talk.

-Blue

What i was trying to say was

"Until you have experienced an SSD for an extended period of time, you do not know what it is really like"
 
Last edited:
Here is my recommended setup:

600gb velociraptor for storage: $275

120gb ssd for os, apps, and games: Intel one was just $165 after mir and I am sure it will be again.

Though I got to say, arguing the power consumption of an ssd over a mechanical drive is laughable as blue has said. Both drives have their advantages, but there is no denying the power of the ssd!
 
Don't SSD's still last for like 7 years.........or maybe even 10???

I think the vertex 2 has like 10,000,000 hours or something like that
 

Latest posts

Back
Top